Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 20 2013, 07:39 PM   #16
Forbin
Admiral

Re: top babylon 5 movies

Problem? Hand me that nuke...
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 09:04 PM   #17
MacLeod
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post

3. Legend of the Rangers: people hate it but I dug it. Funny new characters, G'Kar, a good action heavy storyline with an interesting new villain... I even liked the weapons system which everyone despised.

G'Kar was the best thing about Legend of the Rangers and about it's only redeeming quality.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 09:06 PM   #18
Forbin
Admiral

^That weapons system would have been far less ridiculous if the hot redhead had just stood still and pointed imperiously to shoot the weapons, instead of the sillyass kung fu dancing.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 09:17 PM   #19
MacLeod
Admiral

I'll give them credit it was an intersting concept, but somehow for me it's execution looked off.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old August 20 2013, 09:44 PM   #20
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I thought Martel and Dulann had a good dynamic.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 10:23 PM   #21
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
I thought Martel and Dulann had a good dynamic.
Yea, I liked most of the characters, and I thought it was great they got sidled with a crappy old dilapedated ship and with a misfit crew, and I enjoyed the mystery of The Hand (I suspect "The Hand" was likely someone we already know trying to pose as some new Big Bad). Pilots are often pretty rough, so, I took it for what it was, and would've liked to see the Series develop.

Yea, the weapons system was awful. If I remember correctly, the original idea didn't fit into the budget, so, that was a last minute change, that sounded cool on paper, but, didn't look so cool onscreen. I also believe JMS said it would been changed, if Legend of the Rangers went to Series.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 11:05 PM   #22
MacLeod
Admiral

I must admit I haven't seen Legend of the Rangers in Years. I've maybe seen it twice once at a convention and maybe once on TV.
Old August 23 2013, 10:44 PM   #23
publiusr
Commodore

I liked Thirdspace and Call- the best. Thirdspace gave us the Terran Trade Authority type ships on screen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terran_Trade_Authority
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 12:32 AM   #24
Noddy
Captain

Thirdspace is my favorite.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2013, 05:28 PM   #25
Triple-F
Lieutenant Commander

Forbin wrote: View Post
^That weapons system would have been far less ridiculous if the hot redhead had just stood still and pointed imperiously to shoot the weapons, instead of the sillyass kung fu dancing.
Almost did that.

The original concept was fine, the forced change could have worked but the idea that eventually won out was ludicrous. There’s a good explanation by the concept artist who worked on the show over here.

http://www.themadgoner.com/B5/B5Scro...m#Screen1_06_2
Old August 24 2013, 07:28 PM   #26
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Here's my take on the B5 movies:

In the Beginning - Excellent, something every Babylon 5 fan has to see.
Thirdspace - Entertaining but inessential.
The River of Souls - Let's be honest, not a lot happens in this one.
A Call to Arms - You should see it if you want to watch Crusade. It's nothing special though.

I haven't seen Legend of the Rangers
Old August 24 2013, 07:47 PM   #27
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Okay, may as well give my two cents:

The Gathering - Essential, though I prefer the revised version they did when B5 went over to TNT. Mostly because of the music. The music of the original was very annoying. In itself, also a good little movie.

In the Beginning - Nice, but it's not really that important. Has the fantastic Reiner Schöne, though.

Thirdspace - Nice, self-contained movie.

River of Souls - Better than most people say, it's a nice little movie. With Martin Sheen, though admittedly not at his best.

A Call to Arms - Essential for CRUSADE. The music is weird, and the technique of having the commanding officers shouting with the sound off during the battles is not used as well as it was on B5 (maybe because B5 did it only rarely). Tony Todd was great.

Legend of the Rangers - Again, better than its reputation. I would very much have liked to see what the series would have been like.

Lost Tales - The low budget shows, a fact JMS even made fun of in the bonus material (sock puppets). The CGI, unsurprisingly, is very good. The stories themselves are what they are: short stories. Although, you never know, had JMS had gotten the green light for several further volumes, he may have picked up some of the pieces.

Anyway, I never leave out any of the movies (or CRUSADE) when I do my occasional run of B5, but I rarely watch them independently.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 10:14 PM   #28
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I like Thirdspace because of it's weird mix of STTMP and Lifeforce.

In the Beginning is probably the best one, but A Call to Arms would have made the best cinematic movie.