Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 20 2013, 08:29 PM   #16
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile
Re: What's the deal wit the release??

Lord Garth, FOI wrote: View Post
No actually the quality of an HD digital download on Xbox or ps3 is exactly the Same 1080p
If you stream only the movie may be prone to whatever quality of Internet connection you have
And no ridiculous stacks of DVDs to trip over and use as coasters
Unless your a cinefile. HD flicks coming straight off of a blu-ray disc run around 10-20GB per movie.

I have a small collection of around 250-300 movies and TV shows.

That is an awful lot of drive space to take up on my console just for movies, so say nothing of any games.

I know why they are doing the digital release early, but the era of the disc is FAR from over.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 08:35 PM   #17
MacLeod
Admiral

Because if you have an xbox360 and or PS3 you would be downloading the actual high def film on your device hard drive to watch on your HD tv
Those including myself going with this option are in effect getting the blu-ray a month before it hits stores
I actually prefer this option nowadays as I am tired of stacks of disks on my shelf. Gave away about a 100 DVDs and some blus I never watch to Goodwill today

It's a blu-ray or DVD without the disk and its the future of home movie watching
And just how many hours/days are we supposed to wait for a movie plus all extras such as audio commentaries to download?

NOT everyone has a fast enough interent connection to stream SD never mind HD.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 11:12 PM   #18
geneo
Lieutenant

I don't have stacks of dvd's to trip over. All mine are conveniently stored in a notebook kind of dvd cases that hold 110 dvd's. DVD's will be around for a long time I think because there are too many people in this country who cannot have access to the bandwidth necessary to watch movies or even youtube. I know an entire community that still uses 56K modem dialup and Juno for their email because that is all that is offered.
geneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 04:41 AM   #19
Lord Garth, FOI
Lieutenant Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Because if you have an xbox360 and or PS3 you would be downloading the actual high def film on your device hard drive to watch on your HD tv
Those including myself going with this option are in effect getting the blu-ray a month before it hits stores
I actually prefer this option nowadays as I am tired of stacks of disks on my shelf. Gave away about a 100 DVDs and some blus I never watch to Goodwill today

It's a blu-ray or DVD without the disk and its the future of home movie watching
And just how many hours/days are we supposed to wait for a movie plus all extras such as audio commentaries to download?

NOT everyone has a fast enough interent connection to stream SD never mind HD.
You don't have to stream it you can download it directly to your game system hard drive and watch it when ever you want
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 04:45 AM   #20
Lord Garth, FOI
Lieutenant Commander

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
No actually the quality of an HD digital download on Xbox or ps3 is exactly the Same 1080p
If you stream only the movie may be prone to whatever quality of Internet connection you have
Unless your a cinefile. HD flicks coming straight off of a blu-ray disc run around 10-20GB per movie.

I have a small collection of around 250-300 movies and TV shows.

That is an awful lot of drive space to take up on my console just for movies, so say nothing of any games.

I know why they are doing the digital release early, but the era of the disc is FAR from over.
Different strokes
If you want to collect disks then that's great but get used to top films being released far earlier digitally the industry can charge the same price to own the films and they don't have to pay to print disks and packaging, same thing happening with contemporary books and of course music
And Microsoft and apple have been kind enough to sell invisible hard drive space as well in the form of clouds
Hard drive space not gonna be a problem very soon
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 05:12 AM   #21
Sparky
Commodore

Nope, not even close. The bit-rate on a Blu-Ray movie exceeds a downloaded or streamed version by a large margin. This allows for a crisper picture, better colors, less artifacts and color banding in low light scenes. Both may be in 1080p but a much better quality image is to be found on a physical copy. The bitrate for something like xbox live marketplace 1080p is around 6 or 7 mbps. Netflix is closer to 8mbps for their 1080p streams. A Blu-Ray is usually between 25 and 35 mbps. I don't believe that digital versions offer the superior audio either (like DTS-HD master audio.)

Don't get me wrong, the movies on digital marketplaces look decent given the size of the files, however "decent" is not good enough if I'm buying the movie. Actually paying money for just a digital copy of a movie is like paying Larry off the street to give you a disc with a theater rip. You may get it early, but you are paying a premium for crap.
Old August 21 2013, 05:41 AM   #22
Devon
Fleet Captain

I've now watched "Into Darkness" on my Blu Ray player via Amazon Instant Stream. Mighty good stuff. It's the #1 movie on iTunes now.
Old August 21 2013, 06:01 AM   #23
Sparky
Commodore

Different strokes
If you want to collect disks then that's great but get used to top films being released far earlier digitally the industry can charge the same price to own the films and they don't have to pay to print disks and packaging, same thing happening with contemporary books and of course music
And Microsoft and apple have been kind enough to sell invisible hard drive space as well in the form of clouds
Hard drive space not gonna be a problem very soon
I will agree with you on this point. Hard Drive space isn't going to be an issue with cloud services. A quality broadband connection and data caps however are a big issue. Not everyone has a good high speed connection, and people running into data cap limits is also a reality.

Portability of media and DRM is also a huge issue for me. Say I do purchase Star Trek into Darkness digitally on iTunes right now. It's 24.99 and in order to actually play my purchased HD movie, my computer and monitor must be connected by an HDMI cable. Otherwise my legally purchased HD movie only plays in SD or not at all. (I do have my monitors connected by HDMI, but not everyone does) Yes, I can put it on my iPhone or my iPad and have a portable version, great. I can also input the code for a digital version that is usually included with movies these days, or just rip the Blu-Ray and do the same thing. I have an Apple TV, but it's the 720p version so even then I'm not getting the "quality" that I paid 25 bucks for.

What if I want to go to a friends place so we can watch the movie together? I have a version on my iPad, but wait, he has no Apple TV...bummer. Oh wait! I can bring my Apple TV over and watch it. Nope, he's cheap and only pays for a 1.5 megabit connection. I guess I could bring the Apple TV and a copy on my iPhone/iPad and airplay it. Damn, his router was installed near the electrical panel in the basement and the wireless connection is crap, but he doesn't care because it's still good enough for his blazingly slow 1.5 megabit connection....guess that's out too. I could take a laptop or my tower over there with a copy of the movie and connect via HDMI, but that's just too annoying, plus iTunes on Windows plays like crap.

Or I could take the disc over there, pop it in his Blu-Ray player and just watch the damn movie. There are just too many limitations on what I can do with a DRM'ed digital only copy of the movie. Yes, it may come out early on digital, but that hook is not enough for me to sacrifice on audio/video quality and convenience.
Old August 21 2013, 08:05 AM   #24
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

I have no problem with those who prefer a downlaod, and the convenience thereof. But you're really kidding yourself by claiming the quality is on a par with Blu-ray. Beyond the easily discernible naked eye superior picture, what about the sound? An iTunes download does not come with DTS HD Master Audio/Dolby True HD etc - for some of us with premium sound systems this is VERY important.

If I want a copy on my iPad, I can rip the BD and create my own digital version in any format (DRM free) at a quality/file size ratio of my own choosing. With my TV Star Trek box sets, I do rip the episodes completely uncompresed for playback on media players. If DS9/VOY are eventually released on BD, total storage space for ALL Trek, including the movies, will be around 6TB. All this, and I still have the BD's I can take to a mate's house - and fall back on at any time.
Old August 21 2013, 04:47 PM   #25
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
"September 2nd" for the UK iTunes release.
Thanks. Assumed we'd be getting it the same day as the US. Odd, but never mind.
Old August 21 2013, 05:43 PM   #26
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
"September 2nd" for the UK iTunes release.
Thanks. Assumed we'd be getting it the same day as the US. Odd, but never mind.
Yeah, we're getting the digital release and disc release the same day, no early options for us.
Old August 22 2013, 06:31 AM   #27
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

The iTunes release contains a bonus version of the movie that plays on your computer. It's a live commentary with behind the scenes footage and on screen illustrations. What's especially neat about it is that it's the IMAX version of the movie, so the aspect ratio shifts. This is probably the only way to see the large format version.