IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 16 2013, 04:19 AM   #31
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Dumping Cable & Getting a Roku - Advice Needed

Apologies for thread necro, but didn't want to start another...

Anyhoo, I've been thinking about "cutting the cord" for some time now. The only things really standing in my way were sports and (political) news.

The only sports I'm really interested in are football and baseball. Both Roku and Apple have the MLB package, so that's not a problem. Sunday Ticket is still DirectTV exclusive. I decided not to pick it up this year and just cancelled it today--which is what prompted this post. It's just way too expensive now for what I get out of it. The other sports (hockey, basketball, footie) I will miss, but can live without.

So the only real issue is news. At this point, the only actual "TV" I watch anymore is either msnbc or CNN. I always have one or the other on when I'm cleaning/cooking or whatever. From what I understand, Roku doesn't have a CNN channel and the NBC channel is only segment clips/pod casts, correct?

Also, is there a price list for some of the channels? I couldn't find anything on the Roku or AppleTV web pages. I did various Googles, but couldn't find anything definitive. I'd like to do some sort of cost analysis.

Oh, and I know there's an HBO channel, but I read somewhere you need an existing cable provider account to access it. Is that true? The only things I'd want it for are GoT and Real Time, but I can always get those someplace else.
Old August 17 2013, 03:32 AM   #32
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

This thread coming back up is good timing. I ended up not getting a Roku, because really what I want is something to allow me to watch any old video on the internet on my TV. I already have other ways of watching Netflix on the TV and have no desire for a Hulu membership. So no Roku. But at my old place my TV was very close to my desktop, so I used the DVI to HDMI cable to watch things on the TV. It worked out well, but I moved shortly after and now my furniture configuration doesn't allow for that.

I just heard about and purchased a Chromecast from Google. The reviews of the internet video streaming capabilities are mixed, but at $35 its worth a shot. It's also pretty new, and services and enhancements are sure to be coming along shortly. You plug it into the back of your TV and use apps on your smartphone or Chrome on your computer's browser to control what video plays on the TV. It's on backorder so I have had to wait 4 weeks for it to ship!
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 04:08 AM   #33
tighr
Commodore

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
I just heard about and purchased a Chromecast from Google. The reviews of the internet video streaming capabilities are mixed, but at $35 its worth a shot.
I like the idea of the Chromecast, especially due to it's simplicity, but I would prefer something like the Roku designed by Google (which essentially would be an AppleTV). The ability to "fling" video instantly, play youtube videos, surf the web on your TV, use the phone as a remote, all seemlessly. All current options out there are limited (including Twonky or PlayOn on the Roku, AppleTV as mentioned, etc). I have faith that something will come along some day.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
So the only real issue is news. At this point, the only actual "TV" I watch anymore is either msnbc or CNN.
That depends, do you want the news, or do you want what MSNBC and CNN call the news? I get my news from Google News, which aggregates various news sources, and includes broadcast clips from the major networks that post them online. I don't need political panels or talkshows.
Old August 17 2013, 05:25 AM   #34
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Sadly, I'm a political panel junky. I've tried to attend meetings, but they just turn into shouting matches.
Old August 19 2013, 06:33 PM   #35
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
I haven't had cable for two years. Between Amazon Prime and Netflix (which both stream right to my TV via my DVD player) I'm pretty much covered for 90% of what I would want to watch. For the other 10%, I have..... alternative methods.

That being said, I watch almost nothing on network television anyway, I prefer to wait until the end of a season and watch the whole thing, and I've never been one to channel surf, so that might not work for you.

Pretty much this but I cut the cord 5 years ago.

A lot of network shows replay the episodes right on their internet site too so that is another option.

I also do the laptop/Xbox/ 360/PS3 to TV as well, got the whole thing networked.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 07:40 PM   #36
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Sadly, I'm a political panel junky. I've tried to attend meetings, but they just turn into shouting matches.
Isn't that what cable news turns into too?
Old August 20 2013, 06:17 PM   #37
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

The problem I'm having dumping cable is shows like The Walking Dead and others only play on cable and aren't available on another device until much later after the original air date. Does anyone have a solution to that?

Also, in terms of pricing - once you add Hulu for some channels, Netflix for other programming and Roku I'm pretty much up to my ~ $100/month with ATT Uverse regardless. And even if I got rid of the cable portion of their service I'd still have to pay for internet service. And the way they price internet only v. internet cable doesn't make sense to not have cable for a few $$ more.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 06:19 PM   #38
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

Legal ones? Not really, other than some are available on PS3/iTunes/Xbox paid sooner, but that's only a limited few.
Old August 20 2013, 06:27 PM   #39
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Legal ones? Not really, other than some are available on PS3/iTunes/Xbox paid sooner, but that's only a limited few.
Exactly. Even Amazon [which is the only net service to offer TWD] runs the shows 1-2 days behind at $2-$3 per episode. No good solution to dump cable if you're a WD fan.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 07:09 PM   #40
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Exactly. Even Amazon [which is the only net service to offer TWD] runs the shows 1-2 days behind at $2-$3 per episode. No good solution to dump cable if you're a WD fan.
I'm watching on Channel 5 here in the UK, and season 3 is still airing. So I'm forever months behind.