Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 19 2013, 01:46 AM   #31
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Internal Revenue Service stocking up on firearms and ammo

Melakon wrote: View Post
This is why I don't own a cell phone. They can't use their GPS locators to find me. Besides, I heard those things cook your brains.
You have an IP address since you're using the internet. It can be traced to your provider and your provider can trace it your modem. Companies monitor this all the time just for copyright abuse, the government certainly can do the same.

The only way you're truly safe is living in the woods with no electricity and no one knows you're there.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 09:48 AM   #32
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
This is why I don't own a cell phone. They can't use their GPS locators to find me. Besides, I heard those things cook your brains.
You have an IP address since you're using the internet.
Oh yes, I know. I also left out the fact that I have a landline, so I'd be very easy to find. If they were after me, they know where I am, since I receive government disability benefits.

But I've never even used a cellphone, I don't know anything about how they work. One time I was waiting for the train, and this guy I'd never seen before wanted me to take his picture with his phone, even handed to me. When I tried to tell him I didn't know anything about them (and that I'm half blind), he got all mad and went into a tirade saying I didn't want to help him because he was black. Fortunately he calmed down, because it was making me nervous. He was polite (initially, and even apologized afterwards), well dressed, white shirt, tie, definitely some sort of office work guy. And I was wearing a cap, a t-shirt, jeans, and carrying my cane. Guess he was just having a bad day.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)

Last edited by Melakon; August 19 2013 at 09:59 AM.
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 04:33 PM   #33
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
I thought all Americans had a consitutional right to an AR-15 anyway?
We do, although I personally think AR-15's and M-16's are total shit - as are most Stoner weapons, for that matter. The Constitution and Bill of Rights, however, do not protect our right to own ammunition.
Old August 20 2013, 04:40 PM   #34
Roger Wilco
Admiral

That seems like a ridiculous opinion. An M-16 without ammo is just a club, that can't possibly have been the intent of the men who wrote that law.
Old August 20 2013, 04:43 PM   #35
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Let's hope you use a cable router for your internet. One word: microwaves.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 04:45 PM   #36
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
That seems like a ridiculous opinion. An M-16 without ammo is just a club, that can't possibly have been the intent of the men who wrote that law.
That's the gift and curse of the Constitution - it was intentionally written so broadly that it can be exploited by either side (as it has) to benefit any kind of political agenda.
Old August 20 2013, 04:57 PM   #37
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
That's the gift and curse of the Constitution - it was intentionally written so broadly that it can be exploited by either side (as it has) to benefit any kind of political agenda.
And now you know what happened with the Bible as well. Different times, the texts aren't applicable anymore, they need to be updated or entirely rewritten.

It wasn't intentionally written so broadly, because it wasn't "broadly" back then. Look at the firearms that were available at the time. They didn't think that 300 years later there would be entirely different kind of firearms. A modern platoon could single handedly win all battles in the War of Independence.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 04:59 PM   #38
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I have no opinion about that one way or another, but do you seriously think any court in the USA would agree with your interpretation? (let alone the question of how that would play politically...)
Old August 20 2013, 05:19 PM   #39
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

You (and others) seem to be proceeding to a false assumption - it's not my interpretation - it's the loophole these govt organizations are exploiting to buy our all the ammunition on the market - a loophole that they would use if it did go to court. Yes, there are certainly a lot of scared citizens buying stuff too, and the dealers are also intentionally hording the ammo, artificially inflating the prices to exploit the prevailing fear, but even they have been running out of everything eventually. If you can't control the guns, control what you can shoot out of them, and they've been quite effective, while simultaneously contributing to the same mass paranoia that the govt decries.

And it isn't just the IRS doing this. DOE and DHS has been doing it for years now, just under the radar. When the recent anti-gun legislation earlier this year failed, DHS in particular really stepped-up their purchasing efforts to a degree that actually did give Congress pause and a raised eyebrow - it was all over the news (not just conservative blogs), sprinkled with the ubiquitous poo-pooing and allegations of unfounded paranoia. The purchases seem to have recently dwindled due to sequestration limits, which I find mildly amusing (and ironic).
Old August 20 2013, 05:40 PM   #40
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Well, no offense, but that does strike me as slightly crazy. Even if the US government managed to buy up the entire domestic supply of ammo (although without knowing any numbers I do have to raise my eyebrows at that), there's an almost literally infinite supply from outside the US as well. Ammunition is not difficult to produce and there's no lack of manufacturers. If that were a goal of the US government it would be completely idiotic imo. I think it wouldn't be a big exaggeration to say they might as well try to buy all the water in the world.

eta: and if you truely believe that, you've got to fucking put all your money in armament companies, they've got to make a killing!
eta2: lol at the tags on this thread.
Old August 20 2013, 05:45 PM   #41
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

If that were a goal of the US government it would be completely idiotic imo.
Well...yeah...look who we're talking about here...
I think it wouldn't be a big exaggeration to say they might as well try to buy all the water in the world.
Nah...that's T. Boone Pickens' thing...
Old August 20 2013, 06:29 PM   #42
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

You (and others) seem to be proceeding to a false assumption - it's not my interpretation - it's the loophole these govt organizations are exploiting to buy our all the ammunition on the market - a loophole that they would use if it did go to court.
They don't need a loophole. There's nothing remotely unconstitutional about buying ammunition. They aren't prohibiting companies from manufacturing more. They aren't forcing companies to sell only to them. There's nothing at all in the government action that is limiting private citizens from obtaining ammo. Even if it made it more expensive, that's the free market (supply and demand). All it takes to undercut the government's plan is to sell to someone other than the government for a price less than what the government is buying it for. I seriously doubt there are constitutional implications to buying ammo with a flaw in their "plan" that large.
Old August 20 2013, 07:20 PM   #43
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

You (and others) seem to be proceeding to a false assumption - it's not my interpretation - it's the loophole these govt organizations are exploiting to buy our all the ammunition on the market - a loophole that they would use if it did go to court. Yes, there are certainly a lot of scared citizens buying stuff too, and the dealers are also intentionally hording the ammo, artificially inflating the prices to exploit the prevailing fear, but even they have been running out of everything eventually. If you can't control the guns, control what you can shoot out of them, and they've been quite effective, while simultaneously contributing to the same mass paranoia that the govt decries.

And it isn't just the IRS doing this. DOE and DHS has been doing it for years now, just under the radar. When the recent anti-gun legislation earlier this year failed, DHS in particular really stepped-up their purchasing efforts to a degree that actually did give Congress pause and a raised eyebrow - it was all over the news (not just conservative blogs), sprinkled with the ubiquitous poo-pooing and allegations of unfounded paranoia. The purchases seem to have recently dwindled due to sequestration limits, which I find mildly amusing (and ironic).
This entire post is juvenile, paranoid nonsense that doesn't stand up to a moment's scrutiny.

There's no loophole being exploited, since there's no law against the government buying as much ammunition as they want. Regardless, they're not "buying all the ammo to keep it out of the hands of civilians." That's logistically and monetarily impractical in the extreme.

Yes, there are a lot of moronic, paranoid, chickenshit nitwits who went out and bought tons of ammo in preparation for the Obamapocalypse that never came and never will. That's why it's hard to get ammo in some regions, not because of the evil gub'mint.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-ammo/1969361/

And since you won't likely take my word for it, liberal press media watchdogs disagree with you:

http://mediamatters.org/research/201...mmo-act/193938

No surprise there. Libs are just trying to cover it up, amirite? I guess we can just quote noted progressive website Breitbart.com then:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...Stockpile-Myth

Wow, even some of the most outspoken conservative sites are calling bullshit on this myth? Maybe we should go with something more neutral then, like Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/ssabullets.asp

Or perhaps a site with a bit more expertise, like the Military Times:

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gears...not-worry-you/

They all say the government isn't stockpiling ammunition to prevent John Q. Public from righteously resisting the sadly inevitable fascist, communist, Muslim, Kenyan Obamatatorship. Oh, and by the way, they have tanks, and jets, and flying killer robots, and a Navy, and fuel-air explosive bombs... Bullets are really the least of their worries.

But hey, thanks for leaving us vulnerable to attack from within by perpetuating complete bullshit like this and causing a self-fulfilling prophecy by making all the gun wieners run out and buy up all the ammo. You've left no bullets for Jed and the rest of the Wolverines to stop the Feds from taking over. Nice work, patriot.

If that were a goal of the US government it would be completely idiotic imo.
Well...yeah...look who we're talking about here...
Yes, the grossly incompetent yet simultaneously ingenious government that conspiracy theorists almost always require to rationalize their far out ideas. Bravo.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 09:53 PM   #44
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Well...seems my work here is done...
Old August 21 2013, 12:06 AM   #45
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

I find it funny that we're living in the safest time it has ever been to be a human being. We aren't being chased by animals, we aren't being attacked by barbarians and we aren't having to duel some guy because we cut him off in traffic. Yet people are convinced the world is ending at any moment.

The government is planning on killing us. The government can barely run a war. Also the government isn't a thing, it's a bunch of people and most people are idiots. They couldn't even keep the bin Laden kill secret, the Rock was tweeting about it before the news was.

Also what are they going to do after they kill us all? Just sit around and look at each other?

People need to relax, nothing is going to happen and we'll live relatively decent lives until we make robots that think and they decide to kill us all.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote