RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 438
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 18 2013, 03:36 AM   #31
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: Starting Breaking Bad (NO SPOILERS!)

If you can actually give only half attention to Breaking Bad, give it up. You won't enjoy seasons 4 or 5.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 04:26 PM   #32
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Season 2 plane crash thing was such a horrible storyline. I almost gave the show up after that because it was so horribly bad. However it did play a part into who Jess becomes.

If you can't like season 3 than you are doomed, the season 3 and 4 finales are a lot better than the plane crash crap.
Old August 18 2013, 05:46 PM   #33
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm on 3X11... I miss the weirdo silent twin hitmen

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 11:32 PM   #34
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm on 4X1 now. I think my favorite character is the Gus the polite professional drug lord. He's the kind of character I wanted Walt to be. Someone who used intellect and professionalism to run a responsible drug business. Someone who seeks to avoid violence and actually tries to peacefully resolve conflicts. Oh well.

With the 3X13 cliffhanger I assumed they weren't going to actually kill Gabe, and I looked him up on IMDB and saw he was in four more episodes, so I was quite surprised that he was actually killed! Poor guy. He was another person to root for. He was totally nice and pleasant and compliant. He's the way Jesse should have become

Old August 18 2013, 11:41 PM   #35
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

you know, if you want all your tv show characters to get along and be heroes you really shouldn't watch this show. i can tell you now that you will end up hating the show
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 11:56 PM   #36
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

3chordboy wrote: View Post
you know, if you want all your tv show characters to get along and be heroes you really shouldn't watch this show. i can tell you now that you will end up hating the show
Seriously. Mr. Light, I think you should give up on the show now. I don't think it is for you. The tone of the show continues to darken as the series goes on and so does Walt.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 11:57 PM   #37
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

The kind of show that Mr Light seems to want Breaking Bad to be would be horribly uninteresting.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 12:46 AM   #38
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Since you have made it to season 4, I guess you should finish the show. Gus is a businessman on the outside, but he is still a drug lord and a murderer. Walt is new to the business still. Perhaps if he worked at it for twenty years he could be like Gus.

The way the camera moves before Jesse pulls the trigger made it seem like he purposely missed, but the writers say that was never the intention. The cliffhanger is not "Will Jesse actually shoot Gale?" but rather "Holy crap, Jesse just shot Gale!" This show takes a normal slacker young man and a normal milquetoast middle aged man and puts them through the crucible. The journey is the best part.
Old August 19 2013, 12:55 AM   #39
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Mr Light wrote: View Post
He's the kind of character I wanted Walt to be. Someone who used intellect and professionalism to run a responsible drug business. Someone who seeks to avoid violence and actually tries to peacefully resolve conflicts.
Uhh...wait.

Well, you've already seen Gus kill a child to manipulate Jesse into getting himself killed. And if you've seen 4X1 you've seen him in action with a box cutter.

I suppose they could have taken Breaking Bad in the direction to have Walt continue on his original mission to run a drug business without being involved in the violence. It could have still turned out a good, but very different show that way.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 11:42 AM   #40
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I'm on 4X1 now. I think my favorite character is the Gus the polite professional drug lord. He's the kind of character I wanted Walt to be. Someone who used intellect and professionalism to run a responsible drug business. Someone who seeks to avoid violence and actually tries to peacefully resolve conflicts. Oh well.
So because Gus has people to do the killing for him, that makes him a peaceful, respectable man? He sent the cousins after Hank, he sent Mike to kill the surviving cousin in hospital, he set up members of the Cartel to be killed by Mexican authorities, he sent Mike to kill the Cartel guys in the season 3 finale, and he probably ordered the murder of Andrea's brother. Then there's all the deaths he's responsible for in the coming seasons. I don't know for certain, but I believe Gus's body-count exceeds Walt's.

Gus is soulless. He's a wolf in a respectable fried-chicken merchant's clothing. He's just better at concealing his pride than Walt, and is playing a much longer game. He's an excellent character, persuasive at times, but absolutely a monster.
Old August 19 2013, 12:43 PM   #41
Mr Light
Admiral

He saved Walt's life from the cartel... and I made that post before he killed his own guy with a box cutter That was really brutal, for some reason the fact that there was no sound effect for the slicing made it even more revolting!

Old August 19 2013, 01:21 PM   #42
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

He didn't save Walt's life because he cared about him, he did it because Walt's product was making him millions of dollars, and sending the cousins after a DEA officer was all part of Gus's larger play to break the influence of the Cartel so he could rule the meth trade in the region. When Walt became an inconvenience, Gus ordered Mike to kill him.
Old August 19 2013, 09:23 PM   #43
TheMurph
Rear Admiral

Just wanted to say, I only began watching Breaking Bad during a Netflix Marathon session this weekend. Brilliant show, love it. I like the progression the show has made with the characters, very organic.

Though most interesting part for me was in Season 3, where he was in the limbo state between likable Walt, and criminal Heisenberg. Bryan Cranston is a fantastic actor.
Old August 20 2013, 02:22 PM   #44
Mr Light
Admiral

Starting 4X4 now.

I'm enjoying the show more now, maybe I'm not watching it in five hour blocks anymore I feel like Walt is becoming a more rational and sympathetic character again as his actions are done out of fear for his life and he's reconnecting with his wife again. The money is directly for his family again, and for brother-in-law's medical bills, so it's a more 'human' motivation again.

My favorite character is Mike, the calm and put-upon hitman. He's really funny Also Saul. And Gus. So basically none of the main characters haha

I'm still waiting for the cancer to come back. I think it being in remission for over a season was a mistake as it robs his original motivation from him. I think I'd be safe in assuming it will come back in the end of course. Maybe S4 ends with the terminal prognosis...

Old August 20 2013, 02:44 PM   #45
cultcross
Say my name...

I'm still waiting for the cancer to come back. I think it being in remission for over a season was a mistake as it robs his original motivation from him. ...
That was the whole point though - he hasn't had his original excuse for ages, but he still does it. Part of the genius of the show is that there is no gimmick or mechanism which allows us access to Walts feelings, so his real motivation remains a mystery. What is he really doing all this for?