Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 19 2013, 01:08 AM   #16
mythme
Commodore

Re: The Doomsday Machine Revealed

This is why i'm hesitant to get TOS on Blu-Ray because I hope/half-expect that this will be done to the episodes for the ultimate fan release. If they plan on this, they better get cracking before too many of the cast and crew pass away.

BTW it was good to see Eddie Paskey in this.
Old August 19 2013, 01:55 AM   #17
feek61
Captain

It was good but I did notice at the end that it was copyrighted back in 2010. I hope we see more of this. I always enjoy stuff on my favorite episode.
Old August 19 2013, 03:47 AM   #18
Warped9
Admiral

Rulius wrote: View Post
Robert Ryan would have made a really intense Decker.
Yeah, but we mightn't have been able to feel a smidgen of sympathy for him. William played Decker like a good man pushed over the edge. His obsession was driven by the enormous guilt he felt over the death of his entire crew. We found ourselves against him, but we could at least understand him and even feel some sympathy for him.

Harvey wrote: View Post
I especially appreciate the analysis of Sol Kaplan's use of musical motifs and Marc Daniel's use of depth.
Yep, I loved those parts.
Old August 19 2013, 04:02 AM   #19
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
I especially appreciate the analysis of Sol Kaplan's use of musical motifs and Marc Daniel's use of depth.
Yep, I loved those parts.

Agreed. The Doomsday Machine is among the greatest of all Star Trek scores. It plays really well on CD.

One little problem with the video is the final photo of Sol Kaplan, the one with his dates under it. That's really a photo of composer Gerald Fried (Shore Leave, Amok Time, Friday's Child, The Paradise Syndrome).
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 04:36 AM   #20
CrazyMatt
Commander

Rulius wrote: View Post
Robert Ryan would have made a really intense Decker.
Yeah, but we mightn't have been able to feel a smidgen of sympathy for him. William played Decker like a good man pushed over the edge. His obsession was driven by the enormous guilt he felt over the death of his entire crew. We found ourselves against him, but we could at least understand him and even feel some sympathy for him.
Agreed... Ryan might have played Decker as a captain who didn't care as much about his crew as he did his pride, ala Ahab.

Tell me, how many of you felt sorry for Capt Ahab at the end of Moby Dick as compared with how many felt he got what he deserved?
Old August 19 2013, 03:25 PM   #21
Richard Baker
Commander

Very well done- I love to find out how things happen in the creation of a show, not just the result.
The one panning shot of the more mechanical version of the Doomsday machine intrigues me- was it the actual original sketch they could not afford or new art based on the description of what they intended? I like it so much better than the aluminum bugle snack we saw onscreen...
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 09:51 PM   #22
EnsignHarper
Commander

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
Very well done- I love to find out how things happen in the creation of a show, not just the result.
The one panning shot of the more mechanical version of the Doomsday machine intrigues me- was it the actual original sketch they could not afford or new art based on the description of what they intended? I like it so much better than the aluminum bugle snack we saw onscreen...
With Trek...it was ALWAYS about the $$$
EnsignHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 12:34 AM   #23
Green Shirt
Commodore

EnsignHarper wrote: View Post
Richard Baker wrote: View Post
With Trek...it was ALWAYS about the $$$
Too bad the CBS effects reimagining team was either unaware of what the DDM was intended to look like, or didn't care to change its appearance significantly, or simply couldn't render it as described for much the same reason --$$$$.
Old August 20 2013, 01:58 AM   #24
Warped9
Admiral

I must be one of the few who don't mind the way the planet killer looks with the original f/x. I like the rough hewn alien look.
Old August 20 2013, 03:06 AM   #25
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I must be one of the few who don't mind the way the planet killer looks with the original f/x. I like the rough hewn alien look.
A lot of us vintage guys love the original fx. I happen to like both versions of the show now.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 12:07 PM   #26
bbailey861
Admiral

Very nice. Would like to see it done with other 'notable' episodes as well. Thanks for that.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 07:00 AM   #27
CrazyMatt
Commander

I think it actually looks better than the reimagined CBS version... wind-sock dipped in cement or no, the sfx on this episode were considered cutting edge at the time and I think they hold up much better than a lot of people give them credit for.

That's why when I watch this episode on Blu-Ray, I watch it with the original affects chosen.
Old August 21 2013, 01:12 PM   #28
EnsignHarper
Commander

I cannot believe those here who actually prefer the old, creaky effects of DM, as opposed to the CBS Digital FX. I mean, when the announcement was made about the new versions, wasn't the first thought in everyone's head upon hearing about them, "Boy - I can't WAIT for Doomsday Machine"?? This was THE episode that SCREAMED for better FX from Day One. (ok...maybe BoT also...and perhaps Corbomite Maneuver)

The effects now, instead of barely serving the story, now ENHANCES it! We get to see just how badly mangled Constellation is (with the neat addition of pieces of planetary rubble bouncing off its hull ), the DM is now a solid very scary thing that shoots out a wall of FLAME. And perhaps one of the best remastered effects of all of them in the series of Decker's shuttle popping out of the floor while twisting, and then ZOOMING out of the ship towards the planet killer.

I will never miss or feel nostalgic for the charred AMT model kit...

Last edited by EnsignHarper; August 21 2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typo
EnsignHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 01:49 PM   #29
Warped9
Admiral

EnsignHarper wrote: View Post
I cannot believe those here who actually prefer the old, creaky effects of DM, as opposed to the CBS Digital FX. I mean, when the announcement was made about the new versions, wasn't the first thought in everyone's head upon heating about them, "Boy - I can't WAIT for Doomsday Machine"?? This was THE episode that SCREAMED for better FX from Day One. (ok...maybe BoT also...and perhaps Corbomite Maneuver)

The effects now, instead of barely serving the story, now ENHANCES it! We get to see just how badly mangled Constellation is (with the neat addition of pieces of planetary rubble bouncing off its hull ), the DM is now a solid very scary thing that shoots out a wall of FLAME. And perhaps one of the best remastered effects of all of them in the series of Decker's shuttle popping out of the floor while twisting, and then ZOOMING out of the ship towards the planet killer.

I will never miss or feel nostalgic for the charred AMT model kit...
You are taking things out of context. No, the old AMT kit wasn't convincing, but I do prefer the original planet killer f/x. The rest is very much a mixed bag. The new shuttlecraft sequences are garbage as is the cgi planet killer---it all looks like gaming animation and I don't care for it at all.

I will stand by what I've always said. CBS made a lot of mistakes because they shoehorned modern looking f/x into a '60s era production and a lot of it looks ridiculous. Dedicated fans have done better work because they made an effort for the new to fit in with the original aesthetic. And it's why I refuse to buy TOS-R.

That isn't to say there are things I wish were different than what had been done originally, the Constellation model being one of them. But there really isn't too much in TOS in terms of f/x that I feel hurts the show.
Old August 21 2013, 03:50 PM   #30
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Cool! Thanks for posting this.
I agree as well, Very Cool for sure. The Doomsday Machine has always been my best episode from TOS.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote