MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old August 19 2013, 09:20 PM   #31
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Things you liked about voyager

hux wrote: View Post
The thing i liked the most is also the thing that disappointed me the most.....and that's the idea of a "travelling community" .....it was played with occasionally but ultimately abandoned to make way for standard Trek story telling....but it still makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside whenever i start to rewatch Voyager and think about the possibility of this small community travelling for decades together, having families, bickering, being isolated, being away from Starfleet etc

Wish there could have been more of that...i've gone negative, haven't i....i'll leave
Why? that's what some of the audiance wanted but as you say they abondoned in favour of the familiar i.e. TOS/TNG type stories (for the most part).
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 10:14 PM   #32
dub
Captain

I forgot to mention that I also found the ship design interesting and unique.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 10:55 PM   #33
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Voyager was a worthy trek series that I go back to often. I liked the cast, I liked most of the episodes, and despite not fully realizing it, I liked the premise.
Old August 19 2013, 11:10 PM   #34
Galekarens
Commander

I liked the characters, especially Capt. Janeway (ok well one person I have mixed feelings about but nothing's perfect lol), and the "family" feeling of the crew together. And there were some interesting stories too. Also, the premise was intriguing, and the ship Voyager was a little different and to me unique.
Galekarens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 12:10 AM   #35
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Brit wrote: View Post
Well lets see, Janeway did blow up her ship while she was still on it. Kirk blew up his ship but he wasn't on it, and Picard might have been willing but he didn't have to. So yes she was the only one that actually did, and she did it twice. "Deadlock" and "Year of Hell"
Technically speaking, Year of Hell never happened as it was handwaved away by the reset button. Deadlock's a bit more of a shade of grey, while the reset button was employed that other crew minus a baby and big baby were gone. But status quo was maintained.

KaraBear wrote: View Post

Picard did ram his ship into another one, but never actually blew it up
That was one part of Nemesis that surprised me. Picard's my favorite Captain, but even as I was watching the Enterprise loom larger on the theater screen I was like... he's not going to do it, that's a Kirkesque move.

Now... to the topic. Without a doubt the vast majority of my favorite Voyager episodes do revolve around the Doctor in some form. I don't know why, but be it singing, making snide remarks, ogling Seven or engaging in his other antics, I just can't watch enough of Robert Picardo.
Old August 20 2013, 01:13 AM   #36
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

There's tons I like about Voyager. I like the cast (Even Kim), I like the way they handled Seven, I like the premise of being alone in the Delta Quadrant, I like the Kazon arc in S2. The Doctor is one of the best characters in all of Trek. And at least 30-40 of the episodes are quite good episodes.

for me one of the biggest things I liked about Voyager was the characters. They weren't cookie cutter starfleet officers like on TNG and DS9. They were people who had some kind of issue in their past, they were flawed, they were more like real people.
DS9 characters weren't flawed? It's true Voyager's crew is flawed but they made those flaws their defining character trait, which often made them seem like gimmicks.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:35 AM   #37
Brit
Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Brit wrote: View Post
Well lets see, Janeway did blow up her ship while she was still on it. Kirk blew up his ship but he wasn't on it, and Picard might have been willing but he didn't have to. So yes she was the only one that actually did, and she did it twice. "Deadlock" and "Year of Hell"
Technically speaking, Year of Hell never happened as it was handwaved away by the reset button. Deadlock's a bit more of a shade of grey, while the reset button was employed that other crew minus a baby and big baby were gone. But status quo was maintained.
It doesn't matter if it was a reset button, or that she doesn't remember it, she still did it. And Deadlock isn't a reset button, it's a duplication but again we see Janeway making the decision and following it through.

R. Star wrote: View Post

Picard did ram his ship into another one, but never actually blew it up
That was one part of Nemesis that surprised me. Picard's my favorite Captain, but even as I was watching the Enterprise loom larger on the theater screen I was like... he's not going to do it, that's a Kirkesque move.
That one scene made me write fic you know. I could just see Picard standing in dry dock waiting to explain to the designers just what he had done to his ship LOL. He could even be met by an Admiral, "Picard, that is one hell of a hull breach!"

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:36 AM   #38
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Definitely a flawed show, but in the spirit of the post:

Tuvok - while not a super interesting character, I liked seeing a stoic vulcan who wasn't conflicted about who he was.

early Tom Paris - I liked the "we need this somewhat reformed character" angle, as well as his background of being both a failure in Starfleet and the Maquis.

USS Voyager - The ship is great looking, inside and out. TNG's interiors always looked too much like a cruise ship, but Voyager struck a nice balance between being a military ship but being built by a utopian society.

EMH - the Doctor is a great character and Picardo is a hell of an actor.

Viidians - an imaginative way to do an enemy race. Taking people who would otherwise be allies and making them assholes because of a devastating disease is brilliant.

Reginald Barclay - for a show that had trouble developing a good bunch of recurring characters, they did a good job with utilizing Barclay.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:40 AM   #39
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Things I Love About Voyager, by teacake

I love Captain Kathryn Janeway. As to why I love her, see previous 20,000+ posts.

I love the FUN, the CAMP, the lack of taking itself too seriously.

I love the humor, the outright comedy episodes and the amusing moments that bounce around in all the other episodes. I love how Kate Mulgrew and Picardo can add humor to any exchange with just a look, and do so.

I love the EMH and his interactions with everybody, how he brings out the other characters by prodding at them with his superiority.

I love 7 because I adore her story arc, I relate to her more than any character in Star Trek.

I love ALL the time travel.

I love seeing real food being cooked and the way they used Neelix's kitchen needs and cooking/mess as a place to bring people together.

I love Naomi Wildman, best Trek kid ever.

I love EVERY double episode, they are all well done adventures and a joy to rewatch.

And finally, I love the Voyager fandom. They are just like the show, they are very funny and warm and don't take themselves seriously (except of course during the war to bring back you know who) and they enjoy being fannish fangirl fantastic fans all over the internet. They brighten up my life whether on tumblr, facebook or forums.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:52 AM   #40
PopBoy
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PopBoy

The Ship! Such a weird and wonderful looking ship with moving engines.

The Captain! A woman, the voice and that ever changing hair style.

The Doctor! Kes! The Vulcan. And the arrival of Seven!

Equinox!

All the wonderful and different aliens. Mostly new! Lets face it - those klingons can be a tiny bit boring.
PopBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 02:15 AM   #41
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post

I love Captain Kathryn Janeway. As to why I love her, see previous 20,000+ posts.

I love the FUN, the CAMP, the lack of taking itself too seriously.

I love the humor, the outright comedy episodes and the amusing moments that bounce around in all the other episodes. I love how Kate Mulgrew and Picardo can add humor to any exchange with just a look, and do so.

I love the EMH and his interactions with everybody, how he brings out the other characters by prodding at them with his superiority.

I love 7 because I adore her story arc, I relate to her more than any character in Star Trek.

I love ALL the time travel.

I love seeing real food being cooked and the way they used Neelix's kitchen needs and cooking/mess as a place to bring people together.

I love Naomi Wildman, best Trek kid ever.

I love EVERY double episode, they are all well done adventures and a joy to rewatch.

And finally, I love the Voyager fandom. They are just like the show, they are very funny and warm and don't take themselves seriously (except of course during the war to bring back you know who) and they enjoy being fannish fangirl fantastic fans all over the internet. They brighten up my life whether on tumblr, facebook or forums.

Let me amend my original post.

I love Captain Kathryn Janeway ...

AND

...all the Voy fan boys/fangirls I have met and never met especially Teacake...

...EXCEPT when she DENIES the rightness that IS Janeway/Chakotay.
Old August 20 2013, 02:19 AM   #42
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I'm not even a huge Janeway fan but I'd have liked to see her and Chakotay together.
Old August 20 2013, 02:20 AM   #43
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

If Captain Janeway wants to frakk Chakotay I have absolutely no problem with that. Everyone needs a little side hobby.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 03:43 AM   #44
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

BruntFCA wrote: View Post
I always thought that VOY had the best opening of any Trek, both in music and visuals.
Yes, this. ^

The opening is simply epic, and the theme is my favorite of all the Trek shows.

Also, I always liked the distinctive ship design of Voyager. It looked like a sleek cobra's head. It seemed to suggest that the ship may be small, but it had a nasty bite.

I'm also a fan of Kes, Seven Of Nine, and the good Doctor.

I admit that I didn't like Janeway at first, but she grew on me. I enjoy the fact that she's a coffee addict, as well as her mother lion attitude towards protecting and fighting for her crew.

Sean
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 04:05 AM   #45
Melakon
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post

I love Captain Kathryn Janeway. . .I love the EMH. . .I love 7. . .I love Naomi Wildman. . .
What happened to the Harry Kim love? Yesterday you wanted to watch him fan dance.