Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Do you like the concept of Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor?
Yes 143 85.12%
No 5 2.98%
Neutral So Far :| 20 11.90%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 7 2013, 09:28 AM   #151
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Re: Do you like the idea of Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I think he remembered the look of the Pompeii guy and modeled his new body after him. Like he did with Colin Baker .
Like this? Lol

and this
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 01:34 PM   #152
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

Starkers wrote: View Post
Thanks for the info re Pertwee and Colin's script endevours!

Classic Fan wrote: View Post
I watched the reveal live. i was excited until they padded it all out with interviews and crap, Davison excluded, but i got to a point where i felt as though i should phone in and donate to a cause, it was annoying. Then we got barely any time with Capaldi. Bloody beeb.

I am happy with the casting. I like the odea of going older, but, given his work on stage and tv like The Thick of It, he has this energy about him, body language and the look in his eyes. I am happy.

And i am still trying to get that Eastenders vs. The Volcano episode he was in, The Fires of Pompei, out of my head, but after The Thick of It, that has gone.

He has a pressence that makes you focus on him, and his voice is just amazing.

Im wondering if they will dumb down the accent a little like Tennnant, interesting.

So, wardrobe..?

You didn't like the Bernard Cribbens bits?

I wondered if he'd keep the accent, I have a sneaking suspicion he will. Wardrobe wise at the moment I haven't a clue. I nailed Smith's absent minded professor look in advance, but with Capaldi I'm not sure. Doubt we'll see a frock coat or a trench coat, somehow I can't see him wearing one of those. I also think they'll shy away from anything that looks too much like a modern day suit in case he just looks like Malcom Tucker!

I think something quite old fashioned, yet fairly simple...but who knows, I get the impression Pertwee might be his Doctor, so it could be frills and velvet.

Lol. Yeah Cribbins not included in the mini rant.

I had the same discussion with a friend about how he would possibly approach the role. We oddly both said a mixture of Tom and Jon but just a little, not ott homage.

He has the almost ruggedly elegant look of Pertwee too.

And yeah, a suit would just make Tucker fans expect "Suck my four sweaty timelord balls you fat fuck." Or "Exterminate me with your egg fucking whisk you tin can c*nt."
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor

Last edited by Classic Fan; August 9 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 10:52 PM   #153
Jax
Admiral

Bit late to this (been on hoilday) but I think its a very bold and exciting choice. I love him on "Thick of It" and I do wonder how he will take on Who + I wonder if Moffat faced any pressure from BBC to cast young again or was he given free reign.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 03:46 PM   #154
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Are we sure Peter Capaldi isn't just Eric Idle having a go?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 08:53 PM   #155
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

And if it actually was him, would any of us actually mind?

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 03:42 AM   #156
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Emh wrote: View Post
I would. I doubt I would watch Eric Idle in Doctor Who. He is my least favorite Python -- and I will leave it at that because I'm being polite.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 09:31 AM   #157
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
I would. I doubt I would watch Eric Idle in Doctor Who. He is my least favorite Python -- and I will leave it at that because I'm being polite.
Fair enough. I've always loved Eric Idle (although he's not my favorite or even my second favorite Python) but I guess he's not everyone.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 01:14 AM   #158
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

He created the Rutles. That's good enough for me.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old August 19 2013, 03:04 PM   #159
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The cover for the next Doctor Who Magazine is out. That's not likely to be his costume, but he certainly has an interesting look.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Co-created, with Neil Innes. Idle had the idea, Innes wrote the music and made it work.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 03:25 PM   #160
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Co-created, with Neil Innes. Idle had the idea, Innes wrote the music and made it work.
He wrote the Nudge Nudge sketch. That's good enough for me.
Old August 19 2013, 03:38 PM   #161
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

The cover for the next Doctor Who Magazine is out. That's not likely to be his costume, but he certainly has an interesting look.
I do like his up-swept hair.
Old August 19 2013, 05:49 PM   #162
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

He's NOT SMILING! Fans of a more serious Doctor rejoice? :P

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 11:50 PM   #163
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I'm happy with the idea of an older Doctor. I'd been hoping for an older Doctor for a while. (My previous short list included Bill Nighy and John Hurt, so sometimes the show listens to me.) Capaldi isn't my 100% ideal choice because I was kinda hoping for a woman. And I still haven't completely come to terms with Smith leaving. But I'm very excited about seeing what's next for the show.

I suppose I would be more ambivalent if Moffat were leaving too. But Moffat is staying on, and while I don't agree with absolutely everything he's done with the show, I think he's done a very good job. I've found that he & I tend to see things in a similar way. My conception of who the Doctor is is much closer to Moffat's interpretation than to RTD's interpretation. (We also have very similar views on Sherlock Holmes, to such an extent that Sherlock has pretty much negated any dreams I ever had about making my own "definitive" Sherlock Holmes movie.)

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Say no more!

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
The fact that he's a lifelong fan of the show, a real fan and not a "celeb fan" who likes it because it's popular, makes me very, very happy.
But is he a super fan like David Tennant? (I mean, there are moments in Tennant's video diaries where he's making casual references to "Kinda." You can't get much more hardcore than that.)
Old August 20 2013, 01:13 AM   #164
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Idle wrote "All You Need Is Cash" aka the Rutles TV Special. No it wouldn't have worked as well without Innes' music, but it's still pretty funny. The Punk Floyd scene always makes me laugh. As does "Shocked and stunned".
Old August 20 2013, 08:56 AM   #165
Starkers
Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
I'm happy with the idea of an older Doctor. I'd been hoping for an older Doctor for a while. (My previous short list included Bill Nighy and John Hurt, so sometimes the show listens to me.) Capaldi isn't my 100% ideal choice because I was kinda hoping for a woman. And I still haven't completely come to terms with Smith leaving. But I'm very excited about seeing what's next for the show.

I suppose I would be more ambivalent if Moffat were leaving too. But Moffat is staying on, and while I don't agree with absolutely everything he's done with the show, I think he's done a very good job. I've found that he & I tend to see things in a similar way. My conception of who the Doctor is is much closer to Moffat's interpretation than to RTD's interpretation. (We also have very similar views on Sherlock Holmes, to such an extent that Sherlock has pretty much negated any dreams I ever had about making my own "definitive" Sherlock Holmes movie.)

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post

Say no more!

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
The fact that he's a lifelong fan of the show, a real fan and not a "celeb fan" who likes it because it's popular, makes me very, very happy.
But is he a super fan like David Tennant? (I mean, there are moments in Tennant's video diaries where he's making casual references to "Kinda." You can't get much more hardcore than that.)
Oh I think it's safe to say he was quite the fan

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote