Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 19 2013, 07:00 PM   #151
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Anna Gunn was on and she talked about what was going through Skyler's mind in the diner as well as what makes Walt a sympathetic character. Basically, Skyler went to the diner thinking she would be arrested and as Hank was talking, she started calculating and decided she needed to keep quiet and get out, so she created a scene. And here I thought she really was frazzled. And as for what makes Walt someone to root for, she says that he represents the guy who's been kicked around by people and life and wants to rise up and empower themself. She confirmed something I've been saying all along. It was never about the cancer and saving his family. Not really.
Yeah I have to admit I was kinda frustrated with her reaction at first, because Hank seemed to be offering her such a great lifeline. He was fully on her side and would have bought pretty much any version of events that she gave. If she said she played along only out of fear for her life and family, he would have believed it.

But now I realize she was probably right to keep quiet. Because if Hank gets taken off the case, or someone else higher up the chain decides that Skyler was too heavily involved, then she would have completely implicated herself by that point.

And she can't be sure what evidence is even out there. There's a lot of stuff Walt hasn't told her, and a lot of stuff that could make her involvement look really, really bad.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 07:39 PM   #152
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Skyler was right to want a lawyer and not be willing to speak casually about it. "Right" as far as protecting herself goes, anyway. She is as much an accomplice as one could be at this point, no matter how coerced she may have felt at times. She could always have gone to the police, but she was unwilling to face the inevitable consequences of that, so she chose to stay.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 07:43 PM   #153
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

I'm definitely going to use those coordinate numbers on the next Mega Millions lottery drawing!
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 08:04 PM   #154
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I feel bad for everyone on this show except for Walt at this point. Even Saul has my pity as he's clearly in over his head with Walt and terrified.

Hell, I even do pity Walt, a little.
Old August 19 2013, 08:24 PM   #155
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Skyler was right to want a lawyer and not be willing to speak casually about it. "Right" as far as protecting herself goes, anyway. She is as much an accomplice as one could be at this point, no matter how coerced she may have felt at times. She could always have gone to the police, but she was unwilling to face the inevitable consequences of that, so she chose to stay.
And Hank also wanted to record what she said. Skylar is nothing if not whip smart. Just the fact that Hank put that recorder out there lets us know just how sure he is (or was) that Skylar was coerced into staying quiet. I agree with those who say that she could EASILY walk by simply rolling over on Walt. But lets all keep in mind that they are married and she doesn't have to testify against Walt.

Right now it seems Skylar is guilty of only money laundering, maybe conspiracy, and possibly tax evasion. Anyone see anything else?

The fact that Skylar has sided with Walt leaves Jesse as Walt's only "loose end". I'm a little surprised that Saul didn't suggest a little Belizean holiday for him too. That may come soon enough.

Hank finally came clean with what's at stake for him in this and admitted what has been argued around here for a while, that is; that "Hisenberg" being his brother in law all along is going to kill Hank's professional reputation. Also, that there really is not much chance of the Feds thinking he was involved in the the meth business, but he could be seen as "covering" for Walt if he keeps quiet and someone else busts Walt. Hank is sitting snugly between the devil and the deep blue sea.

But just as I was saying, "yeah right, what are the chances the Feds will catch Walt because they haven't even gotten close so far", Hank's subordinate tells him that they are holding Jesse.

This show kicks SO much ass.

Oh, and "Lidia" has some nice legs.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 09:15 PM   #156
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Obiwanshinobi wrote: View Post
I'm definitely going to use those coordinate numbers on the next Mega Millions lottery drawing!
So has anyone actually gone out to these coordinates and dug anything up yet?

Edit: According to this article on "Breaking Bad Easter Eggs", the numbers refer to the location of ABQ Studios, the Albuquerque lot where they shoot things like "Breaking Bad" and "Marvel's The Avengers."
Old August 19 2013, 09:42 PM   #157
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

It's also a location that's only about a half-mile away from a DEA office, according to Google Maps.
Old August 19 2013, 09:43 PM   #158
Mojochi
Commodore

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he was ready to cop to everything himself but without giving anyone up, just so he can punish himself.
You may be onto something there. I was even thinking a step further, that his money chucking catharsis was his way of purposely giving himself up, because he's so disgusted in himself, and he expects that if he ends up in jail... He'll get the Heisenberg treatment like Mike's guys. Suicide by Heisenberg is what I feel like he was thinking, & a complete emotional meltdown is what he's feeling

However, I don't think it will come to that. If anyone is worthy of outliving this, it's Jesse in my opinion, & if he doesn't, it'll be because he doesn't want to, & in that case, woe is be the fate of Walt, because if Jesse doesn't think he's worthy of his wretched life. How must he feel about Walt? & what might he be prepared to do about that?

At this point, I could see Jesse having Walt in the same car with him, & driving it straight off a damned cliff, to kill them both, or some similar act
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 10:03 PM   #159
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Mojochi wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he was ready to cop to everything himself but without giving anyone up, just so he can punish himself.
However, I don't think it will come to that. If anyone is worthy of outliving this, it's Jesse in my opinion, & if he doesn't, it'll be because he doesn't want to, & in that case, woe is be the fate of Walt, because if Jesse doesn't think he's worthy of his wretched life. How must he feel about Walt? & what might he be prepared to do about that?
Some may want Jesse to live through this but it's questionable as to his being "worthy". Jesse is a cold blooded murderer, accessory to a child murder, and participant in one of the bigest illegal drug rings ever.

The way this season has gone so far, I look for Jesse to be hit with some kind of conflict. One that may prevent him from siimply turning himself in (even though he won't rat out his co-conspirators). Hank, has his DEA conflict, Skylar and Walt have the, "I (Skylar) could roll over on Walt, but then I wouldn't get to keep the money". I have a feeling it's somehow going to end up not being so easy for Jesse either.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 10:03 PM   #160
davejames
Vice Admiral

I have to admit, as justified as it may be given recent events, I kinda wish Jesse would snap out of his depressive, drug-induced funk already. Before the end of the series, it would be nice to see at least a hint of the old, fun loving "yo, bitch" Jesse again.

Even if he's only acting like his old self as part of a sting operation to catch Walt in the act, it would at least be something.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 10:39 PM   #161
billcosby
Commodore

^^ Hopefully that's the first scene next week during the interrogation with Hank.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 11:13 PM   #162
stj
Rear Admiral

Walt feeling the money was his fitting monument, immortalizing him as a winner, was well done. His penchant for self-serving dramatics was acutely well done. I'll turn myself in? With the cancer returned, Walt should be thinking quality of life and euthanasia. But no, the little weasel is still to afraid to think straight.

Skylar slept with Ted because he was a winner (she thought) and committed a crime for him, so wanting to keep the money was believable.

Lydia being able to organize a successful massacre or being willing to be on site and survive? Not so much, even if it's not as absurd as Fring's mass poisoning.

Jesse getting out of jail at any point when he hasn't paid quarterly income tax? Not happening in any real universe. Not that he shouldn't have been in Mexico long ago: no Mexican druglord worth his salt will forget that Jesse can cook. Or not being able to find out that Jesse has, in effect, a wife and son to control Jesse with.

Although Jesse is the antivillain there is not going to be any plausible way for him to play any active role in any epic (melodramatic) confrontation. His story could end properly now with his redemption by confession and atonement in prison. (There are many people who reject the possibility of redemption for bad people in general. There are even those who do not accept that prison counts as atonement. So be it.)

I do wish the writers had decided to set up a Jesse/Todd shootout. The Jesse we were showed previously would have gone up against Todd and his uncle's Aryan Nation by himself. Obviously, it's not my show to decide these things with.

What I still hope to see is Junior/Flynn's reaction. He's been portrayed as an intelligent and realistic young man. If anyone can articulate (this late in the series) how Walt's fear of death combined with his resentments of his family, (Junior/Flynn for being a burden, Skylar for her underlying dissatisfaction with him for not being glossy like Ted,) and his wounded vanity to break him. Everything he's done has been to memorialize himself, to stave off his fear of death by some form of immortality. He ignored the potential cost to his family early, and rationalized the cost in blood after. I think Junior/Flynn would understand enough to ask why taking care of him, with his handicap, was of so little value to him, that he had to be remembered as a big shot with a pile of money?

Unfortunately, I suspect from the flashforward and the tenor of these two episodes (25% of the final stretch after all!) is that the show has lost its nerve and turned Walt from an anti-hero (in the true sense) into just another Magnificent Bastard. Walt's a coward. Even when he carried nitroglycerine into Tuco's HQ, he was driven by fear of failure, his physical fear dulled only by the cancer. Without the cancer, he'd have never had the nerve to risk anything of this kind.

The real Walt is the one in remission who had enough money for the kids and Skylar, who tried to take it for his disappearance, then broke down in hysterics when he found she had taken it for her own purposes. This guy is not going to (apparently) go into remission, then suddenly find a need to shoot it out for a redemption in self-imposed martyrdom. Not to save Jesse, his vilely abused surrogate son. Not to save Skylar, who is pretty much beyond redemption. Not to save Heather, who will always have Hank and Marie, or possibly Junior/Flynn to raise her. Not to save Junior/Flynn, who has already had the best from Walt and Skylar but have made it plain they basically regarded it all as misery.

A glorious shoot'em-up might seem plausible, or at least satisfying, to the fans who like or sympathize with Walt because he's so bad ass. But it betrays what really has driven this show, that somewhere in us we know that we could be broken like Walt. (And the artful contrast with anti-villain Jesse who reminds us that even the bad guys are still human and might be redeemed.) A supposedly tragic redemption would turn what was a tragedy into pathos, even bathos.

We'll see.
Old August 20 2013, 02:15 AM   #163
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Maybe Todd's uncle's group kidnap members of Walt's family, and he and Hank team up to rescue them in the last scene?

At this point I sympathize more with Jesse than Walt. Neither of them would have killed that 12 year old. But after that happened, Jesse was done and Walt kept going on. Jesse is clearly more affected by the moral weight of having participated in murder than any of the other meth dealers we've seen.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 04:03 AM   #164
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Walt wouldn't kill a 12 year old? He poisoned one and didn't seem to care too much.
Old August 20 2013, 05:03 AM   #165
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Lydia is Scottish?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote