Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 16 2013, 09:22 PM   #2536
Borgminister

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

Decapitation?
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 04:41 AM   #2537
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Decapitation?
No Thanks, I'm trying to get ahead

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 04:59 AM   #2538
JD
Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Sounds a bit like New Amsterdam.
Christopher wrote: View Post
^I was thinking New Amsterdam meets Quincy.
I had the same thought. I still miss New Amsterdam, my mom and I both thought it was great.
Old August 17 2013, 08:19 AM   #2539
Morpheus 02
Commodore

JD wrote: View Post
Ah, I didn't realize that title was a mistake.
As for ABC, not all of their shows are family friendly. I don't know if I'd call Revenge or Lost a family friendly show, and I doubt a show called Mistresses is particularly family friendly.

With "ABC Family", they mean DYSFUNCTIONAL family ("Pretty Little Liars"?)
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 08:08 PM   #2540
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/high...-as-put-pilot/

In a competitive situation with multiple networks bidding, ABC has nabbed a drama project from former Chuck executive producer Matthew Miller and Lin Pictures with a put pilot commitment. Titled Forever, the drama hails from Warner Bros. TV where Miller and Lin Pictures are under overall deals. It centers on Dr. Henry Morgan, the most over-qualified pathology associate in the world who has experienced it all — wars, love, even smallpox and malaria — but there is one feat that he can’t seem to accomplish: dying. Morgan is a 200-year-old man who spends his days working in the New York City Morgue trying to find a key to unlock the curse of his immortality. His investigative work with hard-nosed NYPD detective Jo Martinez will reveal elements of Morgan’s colorful life.
Sounds a bit like Peter Hamill's wonderful novel of the same name.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 06:13 AM   #2541
JD
Admiral

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
As for ABC, not all of their shows are family friendly. I don't know if I'd call Revenge or Lost a family friendly show, and I doubt a show called Mistresses is particularly family friendly.

Despite it's name, ABC Family's stuff seems to be geared more towards teens and adults these days.
Old August 18 2013, 03:07 PM   #2542
Christopher
Writer

Lots of networks have drifted from what their names indicated. The Discovery Channel and The Science Channel have very little science anymore. Lots of networks have drifted so far from what they were originally named for that they've changed their names -- Arts & Entertainment is now just A&E, The Nashville Network became TNN and then SpikeTV!, CourtTV is now the "reality"-based TruTV, and so on.

The problem is that they're commercial networks and are thus dependent on ad revenues to stay in business, and that means they can't stick with specialized niche programming but have all had to drift toward more generic, popular stuff in order to get the advertising dollars they need. It's only premium channels and commercial-free public television that are really able to maintain niche identities.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 04:28 PM   #2543
Harvey
Admiral

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post

Despite it's name, ABC Family's stuff seems to be geared more towards teens and adults these days.
When Disney bought the channel from Pat Robertson, there was a contractual clause that the word "family" had to stay in the name. This prevented them from rebranding it XYZ, although they still shifted to targeting teens.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 02:24 AM   #2544
JD
Admiral

Were they actually going to call it XYZ at one point? I could kind of see that as a counter for ABC.
Old August 19 2013, 02:31 AM   #2545
Christopher
Writer

^Except at the time Disney bought it, it was called Fox Family Channel -- after Fox Kids Worldwide acquired it in 1997 and renamed it from The Family Channel. It was only after Disney acquired it in 2001 that they renamed it to ABC Family, since they already owned ABC and envisioned ABCF as a dumping ground for reruns of ABC shows. The "XYZ" rebranding was something they considered later on after that initial plan failed.

Old August 19 2013, 07:46 PM   #2546
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

More casting for Syfy’s High Moon

Dana Davis and stage actor Peter Macon have been cast as regulars in Bryan Fuller’s Syfy pilot High Moon, which explores what happens when the countries of Earth establish colonies to mine the moon’s resources and discover a new form of life. Davis plays Yama Winehart, the first – and last – kid ever born on the Moon. Pre-natal problems with artificial gravity mean she can never leave the Moon, giving her a special connection with it and making her the moon’s first environmentalist. Macon will play Yama’s father, General Gale Lynn Winehart, a hard-as-nails American Army General who, with years of hands on battle experience, is not only savvy but cautious as he knows things are not always what they seem.
Old August 19 2013, 08:39 PM   #2547
Christopher
Writer

Dana Davis from Heroes? Cool!

Old August 20 2013, 05:31 AM   #2548
JD
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Except at the time Disney bought it, it was called Fox Family Channel -- after Fox Kids Worldwide acquired it in 1997 and renamed it from The Family Channel. It was only after Disney acquired it in 2001 that they renamed it to ABC Family, since they already owned ABC and envisioned ABCF as a dumping ground for reruns of ABC shows. The "XYZ" rebranding was something they considered later on after that initial plan failed.
I knew about the channel's history. I just meant after ABC bought it.
Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
More casting for Syfy’s High Moon

Dana Davis and stage actor Peter Macon have been cast as regulars in Bryan Fuller’s Syfy pilot High Moon, which explores what happens when the countries of Earth establish colonies to mine the moon’s resources and discover a new form of life. Davis plays Yama Winehart, the first – and last – kid ever born on the Moon. Pre-natal problems with artificial gravity mean she can never leave the Moon, giving her a special connection with it and making her the moon’s first environmentalist. Macon will play Yama’s father, General Gale Lynn Winehart, a hard-as-nails American Army General who, with years of hands on battle experience, is not only savvy but cautious as he knows things are not always what they seem.
Hmmm, the Yama description is actually one of the more interesting ones I've read in a while.
Old August 20 2013, 06:39 AM   #2549
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Borgminister wrote: View Post
Decapitation?
No Thanks, I'm trying to get ahead
Ba dump bump TISH
Old August 23 2013, 01:31 PM   #2550
Kegg
Rear Admiral

More casting news out of High Moon:

Jonathan Tucker
has been cast in Bryan Fuller’s 90-minute Syfy pilot High Moon, which explores what happens when the countries of Earth establish colonies to mine the moon’s resources and discover a new form of life. Charity Wakefield has signed on for a guest-starring role in the pilot. [...] Tucker [...] will play Stanislav “Stan” Stavin, a handsome and outgoing miner for the Russians who may be hiding something. He also recurs on Parenthood. Wakefield will play the smart and savvy Eve St. John-Smythe, CEO of the world’s most profitable corporation that is responsible for opening up the moon by providing oxygen to the various countries there.