Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old August 17 2013, 04:58 PM   #151
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

Ah, sorry. I was referring to INS, not TFF.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 05:12 PM   #152
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

DonIago wrote: View Post
Ah, sorry. I was referring to INS, not TFF.
You said singing and my mind automatically went to The Final Frontier! My mistake.
Old August 17 2013, 07:04 PM   #153
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

Of course opinion over the film has changed. This has happened without almost all of them. TMP was considered a boring creative failure - now many people consider it a cerebral masterpiece. On release, TSFS was considered a better film than TWOK. Even TUC is bashed more now. Opinions change over repeat viewings. Also, many of the people commenting today aren't the same fans as back then. The players change as people get older and die. So, yes, everything changes.

On the other hand, the music is wonderful. The best of Jerry Goldsmith's TNG movie scores.

I like all 10 original Trek films. IMO, not a bad film in the lot. I'm apparently the only person on Earth who feels this way. Good for me, since I was never let down. :-)

Last edited by Cap'n Claus; August 17 2013 at 07:27 PM.
Cap'n Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 08:54 PM   #154
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

ssosmcin wrote: View Post

On the other hand, the music is wonderful. The best of Jerry Goldsmith's TNG movie scores.
I'll concede that I've listened to INSURRECTION's soundtrack album way more often than I've ever watched the movie.

Although I still give FIRST CONTACT's music the edge. Along with the soundtracks to KHAN and the 2009 movie, it's my go-to music to write STAR TREK by . . . .
Old August 18 2013, 03:10 AM   #155
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Interesting that you say that Greg, since I've been waffling on whether to buy the new soundtrack release since, aside from the opening music, I don't recall much of INS's soundtrack particularly making an impression on me.

I mean, I liked the singing, but I doubt that's included...or is it?
Old August 18 2013, 05:09 AM   #156
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I've been waffling on whether to buy the new soundtrack release... I liked the singing, but I doubt that's included...or is it?
http://theseconddisc.com/2013/07/15/...talized-on-cd/

Star Trek: Insurrection – Expanded Collector’s Edition Soundtrack (originally released as GNP Crescendo GNPD 8059, 1998 – reissued GNP Crescendo 8082, 2013)
  1. Ba’ku Village
  2. Out of Orbit/Take Us In *
  3. Come Out
  4. In Custody
  5. Warp Capability/The Planet/Children’s Story *
  6. The Holodeck *
  7. How Old Are You Now/New Sight *
  8. Lost Ship/Prepare the Ship *
  9. As Long As We Can *
  10. Not Functioning/Send Your Ships *
  11. Growing Up/Wild Flowers/Photon Torpedo *
  12. The Drones Attack
  13. The Riker Maneuver
  14. Stay with Me *
  15. The Same Race
  16. The Collector *
  17. No Threat
  18. Tractor Beam *
  19. The Healing Process (Revised) *
  20. The Healing Process (Original Version)
  21. End Credits
  22. Ba’ku Village (Alternate Ending) *
  23. The Holodeck (Alternate Opening) *
  24. Growing Up (Alternate) *
  25. Tractor Beam (Alternate) *
* denotes previously unreleased track
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 05:45 AM   #157
DonIago
Rear Admiral

Hm. That kind of looks like a no to my question. Unfortunate but not unexpected.
Old August 18 2013, 07:01 PM   #158
sonak
Vice Admiral

Of course opinion over the film has changed. This has happened without almost all of them. TMP was considered a boring creative failure - now many people consider it a cerebral masterpiece. On release, TSFS was considered a better film than TWOK. Even TUC is bashed more now. Opinions change over repeat viewings. Also, many of the people commenting today aren't the same fans as back then. The players change as people get older and die. So, yes, everything changes.

I like all 10 original Trek films. IMO, not a bad film in the lot. I'm apparently the only person on Earth who feels this way. Good for me, since I was never let down. :-)

outside of this BBS, I don't think there's been a big fandom shift on TMP to the extent that many consider it to be a "cerebral masterpiece."

it's still ranked pretty low in popularity among Trek films.

probably because it's derivative and glacially slow...
Old August 18 2013, 11:03 PM   #159
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

^TMP is one I don't watch if I need to stay awake.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 12:06 AM   #160
sonak
Vice Admiral

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post

it was the only Trek film that I just couldn't get through on one sitting. I had to stop it and re-start it a few times to finish.

And just in case someone brings it up, this is not about lack of action, because I really like TVH, and that has very little action in it.
Old August 19 2013, 04:39 PM   #161
suarezguy
Commodore

Smellmet wrote: View Post
When I go to see a Star Trek movie I want something larger in scope than an episode of the series.
Exactly, this is my problem with insurrection, on the big screen you haven't got the luxury of building character relationships over a long story arc (arguably it's already been done in the series) and for me the stakes and the peril need to be higher in the movies
I agree except that the stakes should also be something different from Earth always being (directly) endangered.
Old August 19 2013, 04:41 PM   #162
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

sonak wrote: View Post
Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post

it was the only Trek film that I just couldn't get through on one sitting. I had to stop it and re-start it a few times to finish.

And just in case someone brings it up, this is not about lack of action, because I really like TVH, and that has very little action in it.
I think TMP is an acquired taste. There's alot of good stuff in there but also soooo much bullshit.
Old August 23 2013, 05:10 AM   #163
Captain_Q
Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you look at any Star Trek film, or episode for that matter, with a critical eye then it's all a bunch of bull shit. But it's fantasy, and that's what it's there for That's why I turn off my critiques whenever I watch one of these. I just go "hey, it's Star Trek, your favorite TV show. Sit back and enjoy it and just don't give a damn."
Old August 24 2013, 11:08 PM   #164
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Even TUC is bashed more now.
TUC is very tied to the ending of the cold war between east and west, and as that recedes more into history the movie makes less sense. To my generation it's a relic of the past, equal to vietnam and korea.

Even a single scene where Admiral Cartwright and the other conspirators explain their motivations and reasoning really would have helped the movie.

Something more than "Gee, I don't trust the Klingons, I hope we never have peace."

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 12:11 AM   #165
marksound
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Even TUC is bashed more now.
TUC is very tied to the ending of the cold war between east and west, and as that recedes more into history the movie makes less sense. To my generation it's a relic of the past, equal to vietnam and korea.

Even a single scene where Admiral Cartwright and the other conspirators explain their motivations and reasoning really would have helped the movie.

Something more than "Gee, I don't trust the Klingons, I hope we never have peace."

As things like the cold war recede into history, the more important it is to teach that history and remember it.

It may be seen as less relevant these days, but it's still important to know what happened and why. Those things are a part of all of us, and if we don't learn from the mistakes of previous generations, well, you know the rest ...
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote