Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 18 2013, 10:03 PM   #196
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Re: Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Christopher wrote: View Post
Wow, they really figured TV was a disposable medium back then, didn't they? I've heard of shows remaking scripts from other shows, and there's a Bionic Woman episode that's a remake of a Six Million Dollar Man episode -- but the same show doing the same script twice, five years apart? I've never seen that before.
There were more than one of the BIONIC WOMAN/SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN remakes. I don't remember how many offhand, but the one I remember most involved Jaime and Rudy/Steve and Oscar getting stranded on a deserted island with an assassin after Rudy/Oscar. A lot of effort went into reusing effects while handwaving in new stories to justify them, as well.

As far as BEWITCHED is concerned, reusing scripts was prevalent in the '60s for series that went from B/W to color. It was mostly happenstance that the new, color versions all had a new Darren as well. Several Lost In Space B/W episodes were redone in color.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 10:33 PM   #197
Christopher
Writer

^Yes, that's the specific 6M$M/TBW remake I'm thinking of. I don't know of any others.

And building stories around stock FX/action footage was a common TV practice. It happened several times on The Incredible Hulk. "Never Give a Trucker an Even Break" was built around footage from Steven Spielberg's debut TV movie Duel, and "Earthquakes Happen" was built around footage from Earthquake. Galactica 1980 also repurposed FX footage from Earthquake as a computer simulation of a Cylon attack on Earth.

I recently saw an early '50s B-movie called The Magnetic Monster whose climactic action was mostly a reuse of footage from a 1934 German film.

Several Lost In Space B/W episodes were redone in color.
I'm pretty familiar with LiS's production background and I'm not aware of any such instances. The color seasons of the show were radically different in tone and approach than the black-and-white first season, much campier and much more focused on Dr. Smith and the Robot, who was a much more human and comical character in seasons 2-3 than he was in season 1. Any first-season script would've had to be heavily rewritten to work in a later season.

Maybe what you're thinking of is the original ship-crash footage from the pilot, which was filmed on color stock so that it could be reused if the show later went to color -- and which was indeed reused in color in the early second season. Or maybe you're thinking of how Land of the Giants' "Wild Journey" was basically a rehash of LiS's "The Time Merchant."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 02:44 AM   #198
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Never watched Land of the Giants. And the LiS episodes were, to my knowledge, heavily re-written, usually to the point that the original is summed up in a throwaway line.

I can think of at least three other shows that started out B/W and went to color that remade episodes to go with the new format, but the only one I can remember the name of is Gilligan's Island. It was a regular practice in the '60s.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 04:01 AM   #199
Christopher
Writer

^I think we're defining "remake" very differently. I'm very familiar with Gilligan's Island and I don't remember any remakes. Rehashes of similar concepts and tropes, sure, but not literal remakes of the same scripts.

Old August 22 2013, 04:36 AM   #200
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I think the only remake of Gilligan was replacing some of the actors from the pilot.
Old August 22 2013, 01:19 PM   #201
HGN2001
Commander

I think it's pretty rare for a series to have actually re-used the same script twice. I cannot recall any LOST IN SPACE re-uses, other than the usual Irwin Allen reuses of sets, costumes, and footage. I don't think he reused a script though.

The closest he came to that was with VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA recycling a lot of details from the feature film and redoing it in "The Sky's On Fire". He also ripped off his own movie THE LOST WORLD by recycling footage with David Hedison chasing Vitina Marcus, both of whom starred in both. And then there was the lizard footage that showed up everywhere. But those are not really script recycles - just footage recycles.

Harry
HGN2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 01:24 PM   #202
Christopher
Writer

Still lots of Trek actors showing up in my Man from UNCLE rewatch. France Nuyen was in "The Cherry Blossom Affair," playing a much nicer character than Elaan, though one with similar stubbornness. She was wearing sort of a proto-Princess Leia hairstyle for most of the episode, though with a third bun in back that was sort of interwoven with the "earmuffs" on the sides. Lawrence Montaigne had a small role in "The Virtue Affair" -- and how come I never before noticed how much he resembled Leonard Nimoy? No wonder he got cast as a Romulan and a Vulcan. And Warren Stevens was in "The Children's Day Affair."

Old August 22 2013, 01:35 PM   #203
Forbin
Admiral

No alumni in last week's Mannix episode. I thought I recognized an Organian elder playing a hotel clerk, but it turned out to be Jon Lormer, who only looks like an Organian elder .
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 02:00 PM   #204
J.T.B.
Commodore

Forbin wrote: View Post
No alumni in last week's Mannix episode. I thought I recognized an Organian elder playing a hotel clerk, but it turned out to be Jon Lormer, who only looks like an Organian elder .
But he was an SS Columbia survivor, one of Landru's townsfolk, and the guy who said "For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky."
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 04:06 PM   #205
Forbin
Admiral

THAT'S where I recognized him from, THANK you!
I checked his IMDB listing but it doesn't list his Trek appearances!
Old August 22 2013, 05:51 PM   #206
J.T.B.
Commodore

Forbin wrote: View Post
THAT'S where I recognized him from, THANK you!
No problem! He was also on three "Andy Griffiths," in one of which

SPOILER ALERT FOR THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW!

someone was stealing his cows by putting backward shoes on their hooves to cover their tracks.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 03:13 AM   #207
Forbin
Admiral

Screen capping the hot babes is more fun, but the men show up in other shows too.

Here's Montalban as a detective in trouble in a 2nd season Ironside titled "The Sacrifice".

And Roger C. carmel in a 1962 episode of Naked City (with Jack Warden and Carol O'Connor):
Old September 14 2013, 04:17 AM   #208
Christopher
Writer

Weird to see Warden with a moustache and Carmel without one.

Old September 14 2013, 04:41 AM   #209
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

HGN2001 wrote: View Post
I also have a feeling - and no proof - that there may have been episodes of BEWITCHED with recycled scripts and different Darrens. A BEWITCHED expert could probably confirm or deny that.

I can confirm it. Quite a few scripts were filmed twice, and several were shot three times. And very little was done to disguise it. Tons of dialogue was repeated word for word, and guest-character names were often the same.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 02:29 PM   #210
AtoZ
Commander

FormerLurker wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Wow, they really figured TV was a disposable medium back then, didn't they? I've heard of shows remaking scripts from other shows, and there's a Bionic Woman episode that's a remake of a Six Million Dollar Man episode -- but the same show doing the same script twice, five years apart? I've never seen that before.
There were more than one of the BIONIC WOMAN/SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN remakes. I don't remember how many offhand, but the one I remember most involved Jaime and Rudy/Steve and Oscar getting stranded on a deserted island with an assassin after Rudy/Oscar. A lot of effort went into reusing effects while handwaving in new stories to justify them, as well.

As far as BEWITCHED is concerned, reusing scripts was prevalent in the '60s for series that went from B/W to color. It was mostly happenstance that the new, color versions all had a new Darren as well. Several Lost In Space B/W episodes were redone in color.
I believe Dragnet did this to some extent as well.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote