TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 18 2013, 03:43 AM   #106
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

Benjamin Miner wrote: View Post
Hey, to the guy who posted that *BRILLIANT* Sgt. Pepper parody cover: do you have that in any sort of larger image file? I love that, would like to see it bigger, maybe add it to the collection of oddball art on the walls of my workshop. HATS OFF to you, sir!
Biggest one I have.
Old August 18 2013, 06:56 AM   #107
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

That is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Did you do that Nerys?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 02:28 PM   #108
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Yep. Two of of my favorite things. Trek and the Beatles.
Old August 18 2013, 06:32 PM   #109
ichab
Commodore

R. Star wrote: View Post
No. The TOS purists need to scale it back and realize not everyone likes what they do and there's nothing wrong with that.
They should also recognize that without the other series Trek would have died after original cast got too old for the big screen. I think some are just bitter that the other series lasted longer
Old August 18 2013, 06:37 PM   #110
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

ichab wrote: View Post
They should also recognize that without the other series Trek would have died after original cast got too old for the big screen. I think some are just bitter that the other series lasted longer
I know I'm so bitter that I own nearly all of Trek on DVD and am repurchasing TNG on Blu-ray.
Old August 18 2013, 07:36 PM   #111
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

I think some are just bitter that the other series lasted longer
From the first airing of The Man Trap in September of 1966, through the last movie appearance of Kirk and two others of the main TOS cast in Generations in November of 1994, it was 28 years.

On the other hand, between Encounter At Farpoint (September of 1987) and the end of the TNG era with Nemesis (December of 2002), it was 15 years.

TOS might not be the only "true" Star Trek, but it is undeniably the heart and core of the Star Trek world. When Spock appeared on TNG it was a event, when Riker appeared on VOY it was a blip. When DS9's crew time travel into one of a previous series episodes, instead of the Tribbles episode, they could have been inserted into a TNG adventure, but they weren't.

When the ENT mirror universe got their hands on a future starship it was a Connie, and not a Galaxy/Intrepid/Defiant.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 07:38 PM   #112
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

There is no such thing as "true" Trek. I'm an old-school TOS partisan myself, but that doesn't mean I didn't watch all of later shows when they were on the air. (And have fun writing books based on most of them.)

And if somebody grows up on the Next Generation or NuTrek instead. I'm not going to tell them that "my" Trek is the only "real" Trek.

Trek is not a religion, nor should it be treated as such.
Old August 18 2013, 07:41 PM   #113
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
There is no such thing as "true" Trek.
Blasphemy!
Old August 18 2013, 07:50 PM   #114
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

I foresee a future where the world is populated entirely of Trekfans, each wearing the costume from their favorite series or film, and mass warfare breaks out with them firing prop replica phasers at each other to determine who are the True Believers and Worshippers of the Great Bird of the Galaxy's Vision.
Old August 18 2013, 08:36 PM   #115
F. King Daniel
Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
No. The TOS purists need to scale it back and realize not everyone likes what they do and there's nothing wrong with that.
They'd been thinking of recasting the TOS crew since 1977, when Paramount were concerned the TV actors weren't big enough to carry a big budget movie. It nearly happened again in 1993 with Harve Bennett's The Academy Years prequel movie.
Old August 18 2013, 09:59 PM   #116
CoveSanta
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
They'd been thinking of recasting the TOS crew since 1977, when Paramount were concerned the TV actors weren't big enough to carry a big budget movie. It nearly happened again in 1993 with Harve Bennett's The Academy Years prequel movie.
I thought Bennett's prequel movie pitch, and the development work that occurred on it, were a bit earlier than that. As I recall, it was his pitch for Star Trek VI, prior to any development work on what we know today as TUC. That would put it around 1989 or so. By 1993, I'm fairly certain the wheels were solidly in motion for TNG to make the leap to the big screen.

Frankly, in retrospect, I wish they had gone with Bennett's plan. As much as I love TNG on TV, the TNG movies were, IMHO, nowhere near the quality of their TOS predecessors. Rather than kicking TNG to the big screen and changing the formula that made it work, I would have rather seen the silver screen adventures continue to be TOS-based with Bennett using his prequel plans. And I daresay that Bennett, who I think "gets" the core of Star Trek better than J.J. Abrams, would have produced better prequel films than Abrams has.

YMMV, of course.
CoveSanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 12:10 AM   #117
sonak
Vice Admiral

CoveTom wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I thought Bennett's prequel movie pitch, and the development work that occurred on it, were a bit earlier than that. As I recall, it was his pitch for Star Trek VI, prior to any development work on what we know today as TUC. That would put it around 1989 or so. By 1993, I'm fairly certain the wheels were solidly in motion for TNG to make the leap to the big screen.

Frankly, in retrospect, I wish they had gone with Bennett's plan. As much as I love TNG on TV, the TNG movies were, IMHO, nowhere near the quality of their TOS predecessors. Rather than kicking TNG to the big screen and changing the formula that made it work, I would have rather seen the silver screen adventures continue to be TOS-based with Bennett using his prequel plans. And I daresay that Bennett, who I think "gets" the core of Star Trek better than J.J. Abrams, would have produced better prequel films than Abrams has.

YMMV, of course.

TNG was a massively popular show by the early nineties. Despite what eventually happened with the movie series, moving the cast to the big screen was the logical thing to do, and I don't think they would have ignored the TNG cast in order to focus on a bunch of newcomers in a risky academy series.
Old August 19 2013, 03:39 PM   #118
suarezguy
Commodore

It is the most popular version, not that surprising due to its being the original and also not being overly exploited (79 episodes and 6 films plus "Unification" over 25 years, callbacks in "Relics", Generations and "Trials" and now two remakes vs. hundreds of 24th century episodes and four films in 15 years). Doesn't mean the others are poor, let alone inauthentic, and most people enjoy TNG as much or a lot more when it is not calling back to the original.
Old August 19 2013, 03:42 PM   #119
Gojira
Commodore

xvicente wrote: View Post
-Relics
-Trials and Tribblelations
-Flashback
-In a Mirror, Darkly

All these are considered among the best episodes in their respective series. None of the 4 spinoffs have this kind of homage from each other;

The spinoffs are called spinoffs;

Kirk is mentioned in dialogue in the other series (except ENT of course -- but they went up to consider bring Shatner for their 6th season); Spock and Sarek were in TNG;

McCoy appeared in the TNG pilot; the next episode (Naked Now) was a remake of one of TOS, complete with Picard looking in awe at "Kirk's ship" in a computer screen.

TNG wasn't let spawn a movie series unless Shatner was in it, despite the absurdity of the plot that made it so.

TNG does not even has a proper name: its simply The Next
Generation (weekly reminding Kirk's was the first)

The 2009 reboot is TOS. Made millions.

I wonder.
I never get into this "true fan" crap. There is no criteria for being a false fan or a true fan. It is generally a term fans use against other fans to dismiss or discount the views and opinions of fans they disagree with.
Old August 19 2013, 03:55 PM   #120
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post

I never get into this "true fan" crap. There is no criteria for being a false fan or a true fan. It is generally a term fans use against other fans to dismiss or discount the views and opinions of fans they disagree with.
Amen! Preach it, brother!

Infinity diversity in infinite fandom!