Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Closed Thread

Old August 18 2013, 07:11 PM   #151
stcanada29
Lieutenant

Re: New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

BillJ wrote: View Post
stcanada29 wrote: View Post

But it does seem to me that you are taking things to a horrible extreme.
It's a horrible extreme to want to be asked before you appropriate my work for a project you're doing? We seem to have different definitions of the word 'extreme'.

Why didn't they simply find their own photos and do their own restoration work?
It is an extreme to suggest that one person restoring a photo he doesn't own; which is part of the public domain - gives him ownership rights and removes that photo from the public domain. Why are you giving all the credit to Startrekhistory for their restoration activities and none to the publisher for their restoration work? B&W photos need alot of manipulation to prepare for print -- it's a different environment than color.
Old August 18 2013, 07:13 PM   #152
Harvey
Admiral

I wouldn't jump to any conclusion there, BillJ, although several Amazon reviews appear to come from people with a relationship to the publisher. I mean, goodness, Gurian (who has a photo and a bio on the publisher's site!) posted a review there and has a glowing blurb about the book posted at the publisher's site, too.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old August 18 2013, 07:16 PM   #153
Harvey
Admiral

It is an extreme to suggest that one person restoring a photo he doesn't own; which is part of the public domain - gives him ownership rights and removes that photo from the public domain.
I don't think anyone has suggested that.

It doesn't help that all the photos in question (at least, up to page 222) all carry the caption "Courtesy of Gurian" with no mention of Star Trek History or Birdofthegalaxy.

Last edited by T'Bonz; January 13 2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old August 18 2013, 07:22 PM   #154
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

It is an extreme to suggest that one person restoring a photo he doesn't own; which is part of the public domain - gives him ownership rights and removes that photo from the public domain. Why are you giving all the credit to Startrekhistory for their restoration activities and none to the publisher for their restoration work? B&W photos need alot of manipulation to prepare for print -- it's a different environment than color.
You're still dancing around the main issue. Which is the fact that whoever published this book showed no common courtesy towards people who restored the photos. They could've gotten original photos and done the entire restoration themselves, but didn't.
Old August 18 2013, 07:28 PM   #155
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

So restoring these old scratched and faded clips and making them available for free to people is one thing, but converting some similar images (or perhaps even these very same restored images) to black and white suddenly makes them monitizeable?

Whatever the intent or justification was in including these images in the book, it seems to have become more trouble than it was worth.

But it does seem to me that you are taking things to a horrible extreme.
It's a horrible extreme to want to be asked before you appropriate my work for a project you're doing? We seem to have different definitions of the word 'extreme'.

Why didn't they simply find their own photos and do their own restoration work?
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
Old August 18 2013, 07:33 PM   #156
stcanada29
Lieutenant

You're still dancing around the main issue. Which is the fact that whoever published this book showed no common courtesy towards people who restored the photos. They could've gotten original photos and done the entire restoration themselves, but didn't.
In the Amazon review, Gurian says he posted a photo somewhere showing some identical clips or photos to those on startrekhistory. And you're still dancing around the issue, dude, that restoring a photo gives NO rights to the photo. You're acting like it gives total ownership to the photo. I believe these are all public domain = free to everyone to republish.
Old August 18 2013, 07:35 PM   #157
Harvey
Admiral

You're still arguing against a claim no one is, in fact, making.

Old August 18 2013, 07:36 PM   #158
BillJ
Admiral

In the Amazon review, Gurian says he posted a photo somewhere showing some identical clips or photos to those on startrekhistory. And you're still dancing around the issue, dude, that restoring a photo gives NO rights to the photo. You're acting like it gives total ownership to the photo. I believe these are all public domain = free to everyone to repost.
So it would be cool if folks take chunks of the book and resell them because most of the information is available to the public to begin with?
Old August 18 2013, 07:42 PM   #159
stcanada29
Lieutenant

Harvey wrote: View Post
People are condemning the publisher and suggesting they illegally reprinted those pics, or needed to get permission, and suggested startrekhistory owns those images ... which others here and I believe is simply not true. Since these are public domain images.
Old August 18 2013, 07:44 PM   #160
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

I think that StarTrekHistory.com does not, in fact, assert that restoring the images has given them the right to receive income based on that restoration; they seem to have done the exact opposite--refraining from deriving any income from those images.

Converting the images to black and white doesn't suddenly grant that "restorer" the right to make money from the images, does it?

The publisher must be kicking himself now.

You're still dancing around the issue, dude, that restoring a photo gives NO rights to the photo. You're acting like it gives total ownership to the photo. I believe these are all public domain = free to everyone to repost.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
Old August 18 2013, 07:44 PM   #161
BillJ
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
People are condemning the publisher and suggesting they illegally reprinted those pics, or needed to get permission, and suggested startrekhistory owns those images ... which others here and I believe is simply not true. Since these are public domain images.
Did they request permission to use the restored photos, even as a courtesy?
Old August 18 2013, 07:52 PM   #162
Harvey
Admiral

No, I'm suggesting that the restoration work that Star Trek History did shouldn't have been used without getting permission. Ethically, they sure shouldn't have been used while giving credit to another source.

Old August 18 2013, 07:52 PM   #163
stcanada29
Lieutenant

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
I think that StarTrekHistory.com does not, in fact, assert that restoring the images has given them the right to receive income based on that restoration; they seem to have done the exact opposite--refraining from deriving any income from those images.

Converting the images to black and white doesn't suddenly grant that "restorer" the right to make money from the images, does it?

You're still dancing around the issue, dude, that restoring a photo gives NO rights to the photo. You're acting like it gives total ownership to the photo. I believe these are all public domain = free to everyone to repost.
Everyone has the right to republish those images on the web or in books. That the definition of material that is not legally copyrighted by anyone but is part of the Public Domain.

And being part of the Public Domain (non-copyrighted) is not the same as being available to the public. I think the written text in the book is a new creation that can be copyrighted by the author ... but those photos can be reused by anyone.

startrekhistory, or perhaps others here, seem to be asserting that restoring public domain images gives them the right to prevent others from publishing copies of those public domain images - which is not true, IMO.

Peace and Love, Dudes. I guess we'll just disagree on this!
Old August 18 2013, 07:57 PM   #164
Harvey
Admiral

Uh, no. You're either deliberately obfuscating the issue or just not getting it.

Old August 18 2013, 07:57 PM   #165
BillJ
Admiral

If I was someone on the fence, the attitude of stcanada29 would be enough to make me not buy the book.