Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 18 2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar

Actually, belated best wishes for her 80th, which was on August 16th. Fantastically talented actress.

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Re: Happy Birthday, Julie Newmar

She made a hot looking Apache babe in 1969's MacKenna's Gold. I saw that in theaters when it came out. Since I was 18 at the time, she made quite an impression. This film is why she wasn't able to appear as Catwoman on "Batman" for some episodes.

Ted Cassidy's also in the film as an Apache bad guy, and there's a lot of big-name old stars in the film. Too bad it didn't do better box office.
Old August 18 2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
She made a hot looking Apache babe in 1969's MacKenna's Gold. I saw that in theaters when it came out. Since I was 18 at the time, she made quite an impression.
She made an even bigger impression as a sexy and strong-willed Swede in The Marriage-Go-Round (1961) with James Mason, and as Rhoda the robot in the short-lived TV sitcom My Living Doll (1964-65) starring Robert Cummings.
Old August 18 2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Don't forget her playing the Devil (complete with horns) on an old episode of TWILIGHT ZONE.
Old August 18 2013, 09:59 PM   #5
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
She made a hot looking Apache babe in 1969's MacKenna's Gold. I saw that in theaters when it came out. Since I was 18 at the time, she made quite an impression.
She made an even bigger impression as a sexy and strong-willed Swede in The Marriage-Go-Round (1961) with James Mason, and as Rhoda the robot in the short-lived TV sitcom My Living Doll (1964-65) starring Robert Cummings.
And don't forget her memorable but non-speaking role as Stupefyin' Jones in Li'l Abner (1959), which she'd also played in the original stage production.

Old August 18 2013, 10:37 PM   #6
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Don't forget her playing the Devil (complete with horns) on an old episode of TWILIGHT ZONE.
And a very stylish Devil at that.

The Devil wears Chanel!
Old August 19 2013, 02:12 AM   #7
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

And don't forget her memorable but non-speaking role as Stupefyin' Jones in Li'l Abner (1959), which she'd also played in the original stage production.

This really requires a video clip!

MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 01:53 PM   #8
Hambone
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post

I played in the pit orchestra for a performance of "L'il Abner" and it was horrible. Terrible, forgettable songs and a really thin plotline. The comic strip was pretty popular during the time and I think Broadway and Al Capp were trying to cash in. I caught part of the movie once and saw Julie Newmar's "stupefying" performance and thought, "OK, that might have saved the show."

I drop everything whenever she's on "Batman".
Old August 19 2013, 04:04 PM   #9
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

There's a spectacular group dance number in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, but Julie was so tall she could be matched only with the tallest of the male players, and he couldn't dance worth a damn. It was a pity because Julie had a very strong dance background to go with her statuesque physique, but her dancing in the film was limited to a tiny fraction of what she could have done. Still a great film, btw.

Not everybody knows this, but Julie is also an inventor with some patented body-shaping women's undergarments to her name:

ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 07:59 AM   #10
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Hambone wrote: View Post

I played in the pit orchestra for a performance of "L'il Abner" and it was horrible. Terrible, forgettable songs and a really thin plotline. The comic strip was pretty popular during the time and I think Broadway and Al Capp were trying to cash in. I caught part of the movie once and saw Julie Newmar's "stupefying" performance and thought, "OK, that might have saved the show."

Well, I happen to like several of the songs. "The Country's In the Very Best of Hands" is pretty funny if it's performed right. The movie sadly slices it down to bare bones.
MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 08:04 AM   #11
stcanada29
Lieutenant

Gotta love that Batman catsuit! :-)
stcanada29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 12:09 PM   #12
Bumbles861
Admiral

My heart still flutters when I see her as "Stupefyin' Jones". Belated Happy Birthday!!
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:26 PM   #13
Hambone
Fleet Captain

Well, I happen to like several of the songs. "The Country's In the Very Best of Hands" is pretty funny if it's performed right. The movie sadly slices it down to bare bones.
I still have nightmares about "Jubilation T. Cornpone".
Old August 20 2013, 02:41 PM   #14
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

It's hard to handle her and Leslie Parrish on the same screen...

I still have nightmares about "Jubilation T. Cornpone".
Unshaven and shornpone!
SnowboredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 03:18 AM   #15
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

One of her more brilliant and memorable roles - a recurring role as Vicki Russell, the free-spirited cross country motorcycle rider on ROUTE 66.
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote