CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old August 15 2013, 03:42 PM   #31
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Is the Stargate movie required viewing before seeing SG-1?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, the movie is similar (in my mind) to an "Unaired pilot" Special Feature. Like when they put together a Pilot and decide to retool it by recasting some or all the roles, and switching a few things around. When looked at in that respect, it's actually pretty excellent, since alot of those unaired Pilots aren't that great, and Stargate is a decent movie in it's own right
The most amazing thing about the film is the scale of the sets. I also love the cinematography. And I think it has a more suspenseful atmosphere all around.
Imagine the TV show with the look and feel of the film. That would be awesome.
Old August 16 2013, 01:55 PM   #32
Scout101
Admiral

^that line of thinking works, and explains the recasting, and the minor changes in backstory and whatnot compared to SG-1, but there's still a good chunk of it that's required. The first few episodes, in particular, are a fairly direct sequel to what happened in the movie, and starting the program up again for real, so still gotta say that it's required, and more than an unaired pilot.

Plus, if you're going to commit to watching 10 seasons' worth of a TV show, is 2 hours to watch the movie it's based on really a drain?
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old August 16 2013, 03:23 PM   #33
Christopher
Writer

^I will grant that the movie is better than "Emancipation" and "The Broca Divide." On the other hand, I think those episodes can be safely skipped, while the movie is somewhat more necessary.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Old August 18 2013, 01:21 AM   #34
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

I first saw the movie when it was out in theaters and liked it vey much. I didn't have high hopes for the series when it first aired (I saw it on Showime), but now I love it more than the film.

I still think Spader and Russell are both very good in the original Stargate, but whenever watch the movie these days, I find myself missing Teal'c and Carter.

Sean
Old August 18 2013, 02:39 AM   #35
Christopher
Writer

^Crazy thought... if Carter and Teal'c had been in the original movie, who might've played them? What movie actors from the mid-'90s would've been appropriate for those roles?

Old August 18 2013, 06:51 AM   #36
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

^ That's easy; Meg Ryan could have played Carter.

Sean
Old August 18 2013, 07:10 AM   #37
lurok
Commodore

My first thought too. Or Sharon Stone.

Wasn't Djimon Hounsou one of Ra's guards? I guess he was fairly unknown at time, but when I later saw the series I always felt Teal'c was a more developed riff on his character. For the time movie made, was Michael Clarke Duncan around then?

Another element I'm glad they kept from the original film to the series was the Ra leitmotif. Really distinctive and helped add to atmosphere in tv show.
Old August 18 2013, 12:34 PM   #38
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

My first big screen choice for Teal'C: Michael Clarke Duncan.

My second choice: Tommy Lister.
Old August 18 2013, 02:38 PM   #39
Christopher
Writer

I thought of Meg Ryan for Carter too, but I wasn't sure. I think of her more as a "cute and sweet" kind of character than a more competent professional like Carter. Or at least that's what I think she was known for back at the time.

And good catch with Djimon Hounsou. He was indeed in the movie, as a character called Horus (although as retconned by SG-1 he would've simply been one of Ra's Horus Guards).

Old August 18 2013, 05:50 PM   #40
MacLeod
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I thought of Meg Ryan for Carter too, but I wasn't sure. I think of her more as a "cute and sweet" kind of character than a more competent professional like Carter. Or at least that's what I think she was known for back at the time.

And good catch with Djimon Hounsou. He was indeed in the movie, as a character called Horus (although as retconned by SG-1 he would've simply been one of Ra's Horus Guards).
True Ryan is more known for her roles in romantic type films but she also did "Courage Under Fire" which was released only two years after "Stargate". So she could definalty play that role.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old August 18 2013, 06:45 PM   #41
Christopher
Writer

^Granted, but would she have been likely to get cast in such a role at the time the original movie was made? Given that she didn't play a similar role until two years later, would the film's casting directors at the time have seen her as a viable candidate?

Old August 18 2013, 06:58 PM   #42
MacLeod
Admiral

^Probably not, but one never knows. She might have been cast in part due to her name. It wouldn't be the first time someone has cast an actor based upon their name in the hopes of brining in an audiance.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old August 18 2013, 09:17 PM   #43
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

I never knew Djimon Hounsou was in the original Stargate. And I agree, he would have been a good choice to play Teal'c in our imaginary Stargate film.

I still stand behind having Meg Ryan play Carter. But I wouldn't mind seeing some other ideas, too.

I also forgot that French Steward played one of the Airmen under O'Neil's command. Been a while since I've seen the first fillm; I'll need to rectify that soon (of course, once I see the film again, it's hard to not rewatch the series....).

Sean
Old August 18 2013, 10:36 PM   #44
Christopher
Writer

French Stewart played Ferretti, who was played by Brent Stait in two first-season SG1 episodes. Not a lot of similarity between those actors.

Old August 19 2013, 01:07 AM   #45
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

Steward was already on 3rd Rock From The Sun by the time SG-1 aired, so it wouldn't have made sense for him to reprise the role.

Sean