Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old August 18 2013, 12:49 PM   #1
PopBoy
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PopBoy
The Doctor (why didn't they just make more?)

Maybe I'm not thinking this through right/maybe it was covered in an episode (that i missed). But I always wondered why the crew couldn't program an medical team rather than just one hologram and enroll Kes & Mr.Paris. Couldn't they request another? Perhaps with less skills+experience but one that could easily handle itself just as well if not better than the pilot of the ship. Maybe a holographic nurse could've been whipped up especially in emergencies.

Ps i seem to recall the episode Latent Image when the doctor faced a massive ethical dilemma over which crewman to save...surely a med-bay with more holographic assistants would've resolved the docs issue.
PopBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Mage
Commodore

Re: The Doctor (why didn't they just make more?)

Voyager was very inconsistent in a lot of things. Early on, it was established that the complexity of a hologram like the Doctor was to difficult, and if they ever lost him, they'd be FUBAR'd. Then, later in season 4, there's an episode set several centuries later, where a back-up of the Doctor is found on an alien planet. Quite odd.

In season 5, they whip up a medical consultant for the Doctor, using information from the computer, who's a complete interactive hologram capable of making decisions on his own and the abality to perform complex surgical techniques.

So basicly, to answer your question..... there's no clear answer.
Old August 18 2013, 12:53 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

COPY C://NCC74656/LCARS/DAT/MEDBAY/EMH.EXE

INSUFFICIENT MEMORY TO PERFORM OPERATION. ABORT/RETRY/FAIL?

...oh wait, no. They made that Cardassian holodoc without much trouble. I got nuthin'
Old August 18 2013, 12:57 PM   #4
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

The EMH probably made up bullshit reasons as to why it was impossible so he wouldn't have any rivals for his wonderfulness.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 01:39 PM   #5
MacLeod
Admiral

PopBoy wrote: View Post
Maybe I'm not thinking this through right/maybe it was covered in an episode (that i missed). But I always wondered why the crew couldn't program an medical team rather than just one hologram and enroll Kes & Mr.Paris. Couldn't they request another? Perhaps with less skills+experience but one that could easily handle itself just as well if not better than the pilot of the ship. Maybe a holographic nurse could've been whipped up especially in emergencies.

Ps i seem to recall the episode Latent Image when the doctor faced a massive ethical dilemma over which crewman to save...surely a med-bay with more holographic assistants would've resolved the docs issue.
Or wait for it a stasis chamber which we know the ship has, and with only having one Doctor onboard and no nursing staff to speak about would make sense to have at least one availble at all times so you can freeze someone whilst working on another.

Sorry I think I was applying some logic, please forgive me.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 02:27 PM   #6
PopBoy
Lieutenant Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post

Or wait for it a stasis chamber which we know the ship has, and with only having one Doctor onboard and no nursing staff to speak about would make sense to have at least one availble at all times so you can freeze someone whilst working on another.

Yes, Latent Image is an interesting episode don't get me wrong. But when you think about it - they could've (As you say) put one of the injured in stasis or have one or two holo-medical programes to assist in such scenarios.
Old August 18 2013, 02:43 PM   #7
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

Having just watched The Swarm last night, that episode at least hints that the program is massive and hugely complex and not for long term use. B'elanna did some jiggery pokery to keep it stable that failed after two years. I'd imagine if you start adding extra programs to that

Thinking about it, the episode makes it quite clear that the fix for the EMH they do is temporary at best, and likely to fail further down the line.

My question is, why doesn't someone develop one for Engineering, an EEH if you like (which you probably don't)? Imagine all the problem in there that go wrong that's too dangerous when everyone has to abandon the place. Having someone who can stay there and keep working would be a hell of boon, way more than an extra pair of hands the EMH was designed to be.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 02:47 PM   #8
MacLeod
Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post

Yes, Latent Image is an interesting episode don't get me wrong. But when you think about it - they could've (As you say) put one of the injured in stasis or have one or two holo-medical programes to assist in such scenarios.
But even with it's flaws in logic, it was still one of VOY's better episodes.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 02:54 PM   #9
PopBoy
Lieutenant Commander

Yes i agree. I said that. Its a really good episode. But it did make me think about the crew not coming up with a holo-nurse or two.
Old August 18 2013, 04:08 PM   #10
captainkirk
Commander

NightJim wrote: View Post
My question is, why doesn't someone develop one for Engineering, an EEH if you like (which you probably don't)? Imagine all the problem in there that go wrong that's too dangerous when everyone has to abandon the place. Having someone who can stay there and keep working would be a hell of boon, way more than an extra pair of hands the EMH was designed to be.
I think Kirk would have found that very useful.
captainkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 09:17 PM   #11
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

My immediate reaction was that you were making a joke about an extra pair of hands. Then I realised what you actually meant.

Yes, let's call that exhibit one for why it's a good idea.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 09:35 PM   #12
PopBoy
Lieutenant Commander

hahahha! Yeah, basically....my point is how you've described it. An extra pair of hands would've been reaaaaally useful!
Old August 18 2013, 09:37 PM   #13
Melakon
Vice Admiral

NightJim wrote: View Post
. . .My question is, why doesn't someone develop one for Engineering, an EEH if you like (which you probably don't)? Imagine all the problem in there that go wrong that's too dangerous when everyone has to abandon the place. Having someone who can stay there and keep working would be a hell of boon, way more than an extra pair of hands the EMH was designed to be.
This sort of happens with Leland Orser's character of Dejaren in "Revulsion". He's a maintenance hologram, but poorly treated by his crewmates and becomes a psychopath.
Old August 18 2013, 09:45 PM   #14
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

I reckon the nature of emergency engineering problems sorta makes a hologram a really bad choice as a helper. Power fluctuations could make the hologram appear/disappear. Imagine having a holographic engineer who shorts out and drops a plasma torch in a warp core or something.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 10:43 PM   #15
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

To me, the EMH was never meant for long-time usage--about 63 days maximum of continuous operation, IIRC--and under ideal circumstances, would never be used at all.