RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,835
Posts: 5,473,365
Members: 25,039
Currently online: 441
Newest member: noroadcordova

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 17 2013, 11:50 PM   #16
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

I'm amazed that fans go to see a major motion picture featuring handsome/beautiful young people who are all buff beyond the norm and yet expect them to stay covered up because Star Trek is "serious" science fiction.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 01:11 AM   #17
-Brett-
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

A few alternative interpretations:

Uhura tries to negotiate with the Klingons and lasts about thirty seconds before they try to kill her, necessitating that she be rescued. She later distracts Khan just enough for Spock to take him down.

She contributes, sure, but she's hardly a heroine.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 01:50 AM   #18
FarStrider
Commander
 
FarStrider's Avatar
 
Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

-Brett- wrote: View Post
A few alternative interpretations:

Uhura tries to negotiate with the Klingons and lasts about thirty seconds before they try to kill her, necessitating that she be rescued. She later distracts Khan just enough for Spock to take him down.

She contributes, sure, but she's hardly a heroine.
You seem to have missed the part when she stole the Klingon's knife and stabbed him in the balls with it just as Khan started shooting. . . .


~FS
__________________
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style. . . "
FarStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 01:52 AM   #19
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

FarStrider wrote: View Post
-Brett- wrote: View Post
A few alternative interpretations:

Uhura tries to negotiate with the Klingons and lasts about thirty seconds before they try to kill her, necessitating that she be rescued. She later distracts Khan just enough for Spock to take him down.

She contributes, sure, but she's hardly a heroine.
You seem to have missed the part when she stole the Klingon's knife and stabbed him in the balls with it just as Khan started shooting. . . .


~FS
That was awesome. Heroic, even.

UHURA STABBED A KLINGON IN THE BALLS!!!

If that's not good enough for people, well pfft.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 02:12 AM   #20
FarStrider
Commander
 
FarStrider's Avatar
 
Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

teacake wrote: View Post
That was awesome. Heroic, even.

UHURA STABBED A KLINGON IN THE BALLS!!!

If that's not good enough for people, well pfft.
Exactly. What else does she have to do for these people? Strip and dance with fans??

~FS
__________________
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style. . . "
FarStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 02:36 AM   #21
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang with Ridges
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

FarStrider wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
That was awesome. Heroic, even.

UHURA STABBED A KLINGON IN THE BALLS!!!

If that's not good enough for people, well pfft.
Exactly. What else does she have to do for these people? Strip and dance with fans??

~FS
She could fumble through some hardcopy Klingon dictionaries.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 03:17 AM   #22
J. Allen
Going Nowhere Fast
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: Ohio *sigh*
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

Opus wrote: View Post
Carol saved McCoy's ass while he howled like a coyote caught in a bear trap when he failed to deactivate the torpedo.

Just sayin'...
To be fair, I'd be howling too.
__________________
-----------------------
💗 Visit Brony Kingdom 💗
-----------------------
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 04:02 AM   #23
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
I'm amazed that fans go to see a major motion picture featuring handsome/beautiful young people who are all buff beyond the norm and yet expect them to stay covered up because Star Trek is "serious" science fiction.
This is what comes of supposedly 'progressive people (male and female) who think that the world needs to be more prudish.

Speaking of the main point of this post, I wonder when most of the ladies who've been hard on this movie and the last one are going to boot up their word-processing programs on their computers and are going to write a movie script, and then take a chance at selling it to a movie studio?
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 04:41 AM   #24
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

I have personally sent over 132 scripts to movie studios so that means I can bash any movie I like into pulp. PULP.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 04:54 AM   #25
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
I wonder when most of the ladies who've been hard on this movie...
I never specified gender. I've seen both males and females complaining about male and female flesh (and actors' attractiveness) in movies.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 05:10 AM   #26
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
I wonder when most of the ladies who've been hard on this movie
I'm a lady and this movie gives me wood. Put that in your stats and crunch it.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 05:37 AM   #27
Opus
Commodore
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Location: Bloom County
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Opus wrote: View Post
I think folks may want to rewatch that fight scene between Spock and Khan. Spock was getting his ass handed to him until Uhura beamed down and phasered Khan. And she was the one who stopped Spock from outright killing Khan because they needed his blood to save Kirk.

She saved the day.
I think that if anyone else had beamed down, Spock kills Khan.


Actually Khan would have killed Spock. Spock seems to have a lot of endurance when he fights but he still would have lost the fight.
I think what BillJ is saying is that anyone else beaming down with a phaser to stun Khan wouldn't have been able to stop raging Spock from then beating him to death. BECAUSE of their relationship, Uhura could get through to Spock and stop him, thus being the only one who could "save the day."

And I agree with him. She was a true heroine.

And she stabbed a Klingon in the balls.
__________________
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 06:20 AM   #28
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

I wonder if when you stab a Klingon in the balls his whole family vows revenge upon you and yours or if it's just so embarrassing that they forgo honour in favour of face.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 07:25 AM   #29
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: CommishSleer
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Opus wrote: View Post
I think folks may want to rewatch that fight scene between Spock and Khan. Spock was getting his ass handed to him until Uhura beamed down and phasered Khan. And she was the one who stopped Spock from outright killing Khan because they needed his blood to save Kirk.

She saved the day.
I think that if anyone else had beamed down, Spock kills Khan.


Actually Khan would have killed Spock. Spock seems to have a lot of endurance when he fights but he still would have lost the fight.
I disagree. Its the typical last fight scene in which the hero appears to be losing and then finally gathers enough strength to beat the enemy at the end.
Uhura's role was to rally Spock and give him the extra burden of taking Khan alive.
OK and the phaser bursts would have helped a bit.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 07:58 PM   #30
Opus
Commodore
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Location: Bloom County
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

Without any intervention, Khan kills Spock.

With anyone other than Uhura's intervention, Spock kills Khan.

With Uhura's intervention, Spock subdues Khan to save Kirk.

With Dr. Drew's intervention, Spock finally kicks his crack habit.
__________________
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.