TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 17 2013, 06:57 PM   #256
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Kick-Ass 2 -Movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics. ect.

That'd put it on target for around what? Twenty mill? Thereabouts? I think that's a pretty good conservative estimate. If it does make that, that'd be a few million short of reaching it's budget in opening weekend.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 07:04 PM   #257
Aldo
Admiral

We'll see how it does today and tomorrow. I'd pull back a little and say about 15 Million opening weekend, give or take a few million.
Old August 17 2013, 07:14 PM   #258
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I've seen a couple of sites project it at number three. I think Variety projected it to take the weekend a couple days ago. "Kick-Ass" actually won it's opening weekend in April. It pulled in nearly 20 million, then tapered off quickly after that.

Old August 17 2013, 09:59 PM   #259
Aldo
Admiral

I think had Kick-Ass 2 opened in April as well it might have done better numbers. I can't remember off hand, but I don't think there was as much competition back then.

Upon looking at the April release schedule, it doesn't seem there would have been too much competition for this film's intended target audience. Perhaps from 'Oblivion' but I can't think of anything else.
Old August 18 2013, 12:53 AM   #260
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I saw Kick Ass 2 earlier today. It was better than I expected it to be, but it wasn't as good as the first one. Kick Ass 2 lacked not only the originality of the first-which was expected-but it was also missing some humor. The funniest parts to me was when The MFer and his henchman were putting together the team of supervillains. The comedy really rested with the bad guys.

This film was pretty much Hit-Girl's and of course she did a great job in it. I also liked Dave-Kick Ass and was glad to see his friends join up. I wish there had been a bit more with Dave's girlfriend. She kicked him to the curb way too easily and he didn't seem that broken up about it. There just wasn't enough time or space to play out some of the emotional beats for many of the characters. I did enjoy Justice Forever. Jim Carrey wasn't as cool as Nic Cage last go round, but I liked him better than I thought I would. And Night B***h was very cute, in hero wear and out.

Kick Ass 2 felt like a bigger film, with more characters, action, and set pieces, but it still wasn't as kick ass. That being said, I really liked the big show down at the end.

Stay after the credits.

There were only about ten people in the theater when I went to see it, at a noon showing, so I wonder what Kick Ass 2's box office is going to be. I was pleased to find that the film only cost $28 million, so they should be able to get their money back and a profit.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 01:05 AM   #261
Aldo
Admiral

I'm not signaling you out or anything, I just enjoy discussing this film...and as of right now my friends haven't seen it yet

DarKush wrote: View Post
I saw Kick Ass 2 earlier today. It was better than I expected it to be, but it wasn't as good as the first one. Kick Ass 2 lacked not only the originality of the first-which was expected-but it was also missing some humor. The funniest parts to me was when The MFer and his henchman were putting together the team of supervillains. The comedy really rested with the bad guys.

This film was pretty much Hit-Girl's and of course she did a great job in it. I also liked Dave-Kick Ass and was glad to see his friends join up. I wish there had been a bit more with Dave's girlfriend. She kicked him to the curb way too easily and he didn't seem that broken up about it.
The first movie completely changed the dynamic of Dave and Katie's "relationship." In the comic after Dave explains to Katie that he's not really gay she gets pissed and beats him up. She only makes a small appearance in the second comic. So in that regard it does make sense Wadlow wanted to write her out, but in the context of the film series. It feels like a waste that they're relationship was so built up in the first movie only to throw it away like that.

There just wasn't enough time or space to play out some of the emotional beats for many of the characters. I did enjoy Justice Forever. Jim Carrey wasn't as cool as Nic Cage last go round, but I liked him better than I thought I would. And Night B***h was very cute, in hero wear and out.

There were only about ten people in the theater when I went to see it, at a noon showing, so I wonder what Kick Ass 2's box office is going to be. I was pleased to find that the film only cost $28 million, so they should be able to get their money back and a profit.
When I went and saw it yesterday the theater was pretty sparse as well. So that does worry me a tad. Though I'm not sure if I really want a Kick-Ass 3, since this movie changed so much from the comics they'd have to majorly change the third comic to even make it into a sequel to this film.
Old August 18 2013, 06:09 AM   #262
JD
Admiral

Lyndsey Fonesca is one of the major leads in Nikita, so that might be why she wasn't in much of Kick-Ass 2. It's been a while, but I think there were several episode of Nikita this season where she wasn't in much, this must be why.
Old August 18 2013, 06:17 AM   #263
Aldo
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Lyndsey Fonesca is one of the major leads in Nikita, so that might be why she wasn't in much of Kick-Ass 2. It's been a while, but I think there were several episode of Nikita this season where she wasn't in much, this must be why.
I could see her not being in Kick-Ass 2 much because of Nikita. But I doubt Nikita kept her from Kick-Ass 2, she was only on set for a few days of filming. Maybe that would keep her out of one episode...but not several.
Old August 18 2013, 08:15 AM   #264
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I believe Lyndsey said that she only had a very short time span for filming...I don't remember the exact time now, but it was an extremely small window. Also according to this IGN article from last year it is precisely to do with "Nikita". They were probably shooting close together.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/08/1...lks-kick-ass-2

Old August 18 2013, 11:40 AM   #265
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I knew that the first film veered completely away from the comics regarding Dave and his girlfriend, but that was after I saw the first movie. I read the comic afterwards. I'm mixed about it. While the movie gave me the comic nerd fantasy that I wanted, the book Katie's reaction was probably more 'realistic'. But within the context of the film, after all that work put into getting them together, making them a couple in the first movie, I thought the relationship was giving too much short shrift in the second film. Granted, if Fonseca's schedule just didn't permit her much time for filming is one thing, but the film could've delved more into how Dave felt about losing her without really needing Katie physically in the film no more than she was.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Kick-Ass 3 film, though I doubt we'll get one if the box office doesn't drastically improve or if it's not saved by home video sales.

I read Kick Ass 2 a while back and the ending is much different than what we got in the film. Part of why I would like to see a Kick Ass 3 is to see where they would take this story (is saga too big a word?) since it veered wildly again from the comic.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 12:26 PM   #266
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
Got that right, Bub!

Kick-Ass 2 works! And it works because of the brutality and stakes involved!

Most superhero stories have stakes that are completely nonsensical. Loki wants to conquer the world. The Joker wants to burn down Gotham. Lex Luthor wants to sink an entire state to make beachfront property in Arizona.

What kind of stakes are those?

The Motherfucker wants to hurt Kick-Ass by killing everybody he ever loved. It's a classic revenge story and his methods are appropriately brutal. The violence in Kick-Ass 2 services the story.

I consider this a nice change. Superhero stories are hypocritical in their violence. A bunch of invincible people hitting each other and knocking buildings down and nobody ever gets hurt. It's all sanitized. Fake. Plastic. Generic.

They pander to the desensitized.

The reason Kick-Ass 2: The Comic works is because it is REsensitizing. It portrays real world violence. Yes it portrays it in an OTT way but rape, mass shootings, animal violence, bombings...

Is it offensive?

Yes!

Is it horrifying!

Yes!

But you know what?

Violence is offensive!

Violence is horrifying!

And thatís how it should be portrayed!

Superhero movies and comics glorify violence on a monthly basis!

Kick-Ass 2 makes violence ugly and thatís exactly how it should be! Itís one hell of a REsensitizing book and itís no surprise that there are people who hate it.

Desensitization is easier.
I completely agree with those points and they are the very reason why the second book sucks so much. All of these points were already made in the first book.
The only new thing that KA2 brings to the table is even more extreme violence.

They wanted to cash in on the success of the first book but instead of making it original and interesting, they took the easy and cheap way out by simply adding rape and toddler killing to the recipe and be content with that.
That's just lazy.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 03:23 PM   #267
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Kick Ass 2 and Nikita were both filmed in Toronto, so I figured it would be convenient for Fonseca to appear in the film.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 06:16 PM   #268
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Old August 18 2013, 06:24 PM   #269
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yes. It would appear that "Kick-Ass 2" will claim fourth place, finishing just under a hundred grand less than "Elysium" which seems to have clinched third spot and a big time drop off from it's opening weekend. This means that it has managed to pull in almost half of it's budget in opening weekend. The numbers I'm using are from Box Office Mojo's weekend estimates so they're not final I don't think.

Old August 18 2013, 08:08 PM   #270
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I can't say I'm surprised. Based on the first film's box office, a sequel never should have been made. I'm glad it was though and it was best they didn't use the second comic's cliffhanger to end things.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote