Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 18 2013, 12:59 AM   #1
Aldo
Admiral

I just started watching 'Twin Peaks' and I'm hooked.

I just finished up the pilot about a half hour ago, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Before I started watching it, I heard it was a show about slightly quirky characters and a murder investigation. I got that and so much more. What really stands out to me is the locations, Washington almost feels like a character itself, and Kyle MacLachlan is slowly turning into one of my favorite actors.

I can't wait to see what happens in the show. And since I'm sure Twin Peaks fans will stop by this thread, I'm curious if the movie is worth viewing after I finish the series? I am aware that it's a prequel. But that's about all I know about it.
Old August 18 2013, 01:26 AM   #2
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: I just started watching 'Twin Peaks' and I'm hooked.

For a lot of people there is a dip partway through the 2nd season, but I'd suggest you ride it out all the way to the end (I have, at least 11 times thus far.) Miguel Ferrer's character is just sensational.

The movie does have a little dangle in midfilm about something taking place slightly AFTER the end of the series, but the connecting material that causes it to make sense was cut (Lynch cut tons of scripted & filmed stuff from the film, and I guess none of it is ever going back in.)

The movie is really pure Lynch, as opposed to Lynch/Frost like the series, and while I find the movie very powerful and impressive in its own way, it doesn't feel like TP at all.

If you get really into it, you should look up WRAPPED IN PLASTIC, a long-time fan mag about TP. They had some amazingly detailed essays and interviews in it.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 01:40 AM   #3
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I should really watch this, I watched the original run on tv and it creeped me the hell out. But I'm totally desensitized now so I doubt this would be a problem.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 02:01 AM   #4
Aldo
Admiral

I just finished episode 2. Still interesting, I really like the log lady, though I knew about her before hand (thank you Mad magazine).

When does it start getting more "out there" and weird. I recall Simpsons making fun of a TP dream sequence on the show, and I can't wait to see that. I'm assuming it's from a dream Agent Cooper has.
Old August 18 2013, 02:13 AM   #5
trevanian
Rear Admiral

It's just right around the corner ...
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 05:06 AM   #6
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I really enjoyed the first season but found most of the second season to be a disappointment. Still, as trevanian suggests, I still think you should ride it out to the end.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 05:14 AM   #7
Aldo
Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
It's just right around the corner ...
Yep, indeed I was

Just finished episode 3 and 4. If I didn't have work in the morning I'd probably do a straight run through of the first season.

I did notice something that I thought was too on the nose to be a coincidence. And considering it's Lynch, I'm sure it was on purpose:

Ray Wise is watching a soap opera, and they make it a point to show that the same actress plays two different characters. Well seconds later his niece walks in...who is also played by the same actress who plays Laura.
Old August 18 2013, 01:15 PM   #8
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I'm a huge Twin Peaks fanatic. The movie is the best part of the entire franchise, but you have to leave it until the end as it's about the murder of Laura Palmer so will spoil the entire whodunnit.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 01:50 AM   #9
Velocity
Commodore

Aldo wrote: View Post
I just finished up the pilot about a half hour ago, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Before I started watching it, I heard it was a show about slightly quirky characters and a murder investigation.
SLIGHTLY quirky?
Old August 19 2013, 02:22 AM   #10
Aldo
Admiral

Velocity wrote: View Post
Aldo wrote: View Post

Before I started watching it, I heard it was a show about slightly quirky characters and a murder investigation.
SLIGHTLY quirky?
Fair enough

I just finished off Season 1, not too difficult as it's only 8 episodes long.

A little curious though, I had figured the Laura Palmer mystery would have been wrapped up. Not sure why I thought that.
Old August 19 2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Aragorn
Admiral

Well when the show does wrap up the murder mystery, they tried to keep going and nothing they added to the show kept any viewer interest, so that was pretty much that. A national sensation one year, gone the next.

SNL had a funny sketch with Kyle MacLachlan where one character comes right out and admits he kills Laura Palmer and shows Agent Cooper the pictures he took of killing her. But Cooper was all, "If I say your name to this rock and throw it at a window and it breaks, it means you're innocent."
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 07:26 PM   #12
J.T.B.
Commodore

That is one show I am grateful to have seen unspoiled in the original run. There had never been anything remotely like it on TV before, and people did had no idea what to make of it. A lot of people couldn't hang with it, but for those who did it was great fun to swap reactions, speculation or WTF moments. I was in college at the time, and it was probably the funnest "water cooler show" experience I've ever had. And for me, Agent Cooper's cliffhanger definitely overshadowed that of "Locutus of Borg" the same summer.

Being familiar with British television, I argued with friends at the time that it should have been a limited-run series all along, and I still think that. The churn-them-out-indefinitely US network model was not something that show could have adapted to very well.

It's still a great show, I watch it every few years. But I have to imagine its impact is not as great now as it was in a world before The X-Files, "Buffy," The Sopranos, Lost etc.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 11:20 PM   #13
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
I was in college at the time, and it was probably the funnest "water cooler show" experience I've ever had.
I was in college at the time as well. I ended up leaving an RPG group I was in because they started playing while the show was on. I went to the TV room to watch it, only to find when I got back that they had killed my character.

In none of those water-cooler ( actually dining hall in my case ) discussions that I was privy to did anyone accurately predict the identity of the killer, probably because they hadn't read The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, which kind of telegraphed it.
Old August 20 2013, 03:32 AM   #14
wildstar
Lieutenant Commander

"This is a Formica table.... green is it's colour!"

After you finish the series, check out "Fire Walk With Me". The prequel movie. A lot of people didn't like it, I loved it.
Old August 20 2013, 05:42 AM   #15
Aldo
Admiral

About four episodes into season 2 now.

I think one of the things that keeps pulling me into this show everytime has to be the musical score. It sounds a step above most television music.