Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 16 2013, 05:54 PM   #16
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Starting Breaking Bad (NO SPOILERS!)

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I like these kind of morally ambiguous shows, but it's important for me that the "hero" does horrible things for a noble reason.
But is Walt truly noble? I could see someone making the case that his decision to cook meth in the first episode came from a good place, but in the fifth episode Walt was effectively offered free money to fix all his problems and turned it down. He let pride get in the way of providing for his family and returned to a career that had already caused him to kill two people. I could certainly still sympathise with him after that point, but can his reasoning still be considered noble?

It will be interesting to see how you feel about the characters come season 5. I ended up disliking some of the characters I liked in the beginning, and ended up liking some of those I disliked. That's one of the show's great strengths, I feel.
Old August 16 2013, 07:38 PM   #17
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I also hope that he brings his wife into it really soon, because this whole lying to her about where he's going has already gotten extremely old (I'm on 204).
My mom has only seen the pilot and went...

"So this is like The Big C?"
"And let me guess he doesn't tell anyone."
Old August 17 2013, 12:19 AM   #18
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

it's important for me that the "hero" does horrible things for a noble reason. Like in The Shield or Dexter.
Dexter does it for a noble reason? You could argue Dexter's a positive force in the universe but his reasons are certainly not noble. He doesn't kill murderers because he wants to save innocent people's lives, he does it cause he really likes killing people.

I liked Dexter for the first three seasons but I lost interest because I hated ghost Harry and Dexter seemed inept in season 4.

I think Breaking Bad is a great show. The show really changes its character after season 2, and takes on a new, more tense and exciting feel to it. Keeps getting better and better as it goes. But you may have issues if you had trouble with Tony Soprano as a protagonist.

I still like the same characters I liked in the beginning. But I don't look at fictional characters as people to try to identify with, I see them as interesting people who get themselves into interesting situations where they have interesting decisions with interesting consequences. And that certainly describes Breaking Bad.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 12:29 AM   #19
Mr Light
Admiral

Dexter may kill because he's compelled to but I admire the fact that he only kills evil doers who escape the law. Likewise, Vic Mackey did horrible things but he was working to clean up the streets.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 12:14 PM   #20
Shurik
Fleet Captain

The bottom line is that Dexter kills because something is terribly wrong with his head. He kills bad guys because of the Code. He also killed several innocents and shows no particular signs of regret at this point in the story.

Walt got into the meth business because he didn't want to leave his family with debts, but there's a point in the story where this reason is ditched and he continues with this business for entirely selfish reasons.
Old August 17 2013, 12:43 PM   #21
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Likewise, Vic Mackey did horrible things but he was working to clean up the streets.
Vic Mackey was an out-and-out crook. Sure, he did some of the bad stuff he did to catch criminals, but a lot of it was out of self-interest. Remember, in the very first episode he kills another cop in cold blood just to cover up his crimes.

If that's the sort of "noble reasoning" you can accept then you'll have no problem with Breaking Bad.
Old August 17 2013, 03:49 PM   #22
Mr Light
Admiral

But he was haunted by killing that guy for the rest of the series

Which affliction is Walt Junior supposed to have, and is the actor faking it or does he really have it? I'm too afraid to click on anything online cause then I'd find out when a character is killed off!

Old August 17 2013, 04:12 PM   #23
Harvey
Admiral

Cerebral palsy. RJ Mitte has it in real life, although it is not quite as severe as it is with Walt, Jr.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 04:13 PM   #24
Shurik
Fleet Captain

But he was haunted by killing that guy for the rest of the series

Which affliction is Walt Junior supposed to have, and is the actor faking it or does he really have it? I'm too afraid to click on anything online cause then I'd find out when a character is killed off!
Cerebral palsy. The actor also has it, though a milder case.
Old August 17 2013, 04:21 PM   #25
Mr Light
Admiral

Okay, I finished Season Two. That ended on such a bizarre out of left field WTF ending. All of a sudden we find out Q is an air traffic controller and he makes two planes collide right over Walt's house?! What the hell was that?! Did people enjoy this twist?! It's particularly weird after the ominous season long buildup of shots of a bear in a pool (so weird).

That said, it is pretty messed up that Walt is indirectly responsible for an airline crash because he stood by and let the Bitch in Apartment 23 die

I wish he had just told Skyler what he was doing at the end because like I said it's painful how long this is being drawn out. Then again, she's so nasty to him she would probably rat him out to the cops.

OK I watched the first ten minutes of S3 and once again we start with a bizarre moment. A bunch of people crawling through a desert on their knees to get to a shrine and identical twin drug dealers

I think a large problem I have with this show is how the drug making is shown so inconsistently. It feels like he only does the drug thing every four episodes or so and the rest is just his personal life. But is that really enough to create a constant supply? It seems like a part time hobby he only does inconsistently.

Old August 17 2013, 08:38 PM   #26
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

I think a large problem I have with this show is how the drug making is shown so inconsistently. It feels like he only does the drug thing every four episodes or so and the rest is just his personal life. But is that really enough to create a constant supply? It seems like a part time hobby he only does inconsistently.
The show is not happening in real time; the first four seasons take place over only one year of Walt's life. He goes and cooks as his day job, if you will, and then we spend the other three episodes seeing the fallout on nights and weekends, as it were. It would be easier to clarify why this matters if you were okay with spoilers, but trust us.

Again -- the whole point of the show is to examine a certain kind of character arc. The meth is not the point. What the meth does to Walt's life is the point. If you're watching this show with the idea that it's a procedural like Dexter or CSI or Star Trek or something, were certain reliable things happen each week aboard the Drugship Metherprise – it's not. It's a single, five-year-long movie that happens to be chopped into 50-some-odd episodes.
Old August 18 2013, 12:11 AM   #27
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm on 3X4 now and Walt is getting increasingly unsympathetic and uninteresting to me...

Old August 18 2013, 12:38 AM   #28
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Season 2 is the worst season, IMO. Gets better and better from here.

I agree the plane crash ending was silly. Though it is interesting. Walt initiated the sequence of events that caused it, but that sequence of events was so random you can't really say it's his fault. It served as a way to remind Walt of the consequences of his action but in a sort of ambiguous way.

Like I said, if you have trouble rooting for characters who aren't good people, you will have issues with BB. For me at the point you are at, he's getting less sympathetic but MORE interesting.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 01:42 AM   #29
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

I'm on 3X4 now and Walt is getting increasingly unsympathetic and uninteresting to me...
If you find the show uninteresting after season 3, then you may as well give it up. The intensity and emotional effects continue to be ratcheted up with each episode from here on out.
Old August 18 2013, 03:23 AM   #30
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm compelled to finish it though, I'm DVRing the new episodes

I've actually found a happy medium of playing the show on my computer while I re-read a favorite old book on the couch, giving half attention to each thing.