RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,914
Posts: 5,331,186
Members: 24,559
Currently online: 516
Newest member: Matt W

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 16 2013, 05:48 PM   #1
serenitytrek1
Commander
 
Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

In the light of all the hate that JJ Abrams Star Trek is getting, its got me thinking about the females in JJ Abram's Trek. Uhura, Carol, Galia and Amanda.


I know there are some sort of sexism accusations in NU-TREK, however do any of this women have the right to be called heroines or are they just there to be the girl friends, Wives and sex object.

Last edited by serenitytrek1; August 16 2013 at 06:15 PM.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 05:50 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Heriones .

I would think that both Uhura and Marcus have earned the right. They were both essential to the survival and eventual victories of the Enterprise.
__________________
"When I first heard about it (the Enterprise underwater), my inner Trekkie was in a rage. When I saw it, my inner kid beat up my inner Trekkie and made him go sit in the corner." - Bill Jasper
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Star Trek Heriones .

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
The females in JJ Abram's Trek, Uhura, Carol, Galia and Amanda. hae they aened the tight to be called heroines?
Och aye, they hae. Well Uhura and Carol for sure.

All Galia did was almost have sex with Kirk. Amanda was brave and courageous while Vulcan imploded around her. So I guess she was being heroic too.

You saw both films, right? So why is this a question?
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 06:03 PM   #4
Opus
Commodore
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Location: Bloom County
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

Uhura stared down the Klingons while the boys sat hiding in Mudd's ship.

So, there's that...
__________________
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 02:50 AM   #5
Shatinator
Commander
 
Shatinator's Avatar
 
Location: Virginia
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
In the light of all the hate that JJ Abrams Star Trek is getting, its got me thinking about the females in JJ Abram's Trek. Uhura, Carol, Galia and Amanda.


I know there are some sort of sexism accusations in NU-TREK, however do any of this women have the right to be called heroines or are they just there to be the girl friends, Wives and sex object.

This is serious question, because as it is presented I do not see any blatant sexism?
__________________
The
S H A T I N A T O R
Shatinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 04:45 AM   #6
Opus
Commodore
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Location: Bloom County
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

Carol saved McCoy's ass while he howled like a coyote caught in a bear trap when he failed to deactivate the torpedo.

Just sayin'...
__________________
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 07:32 AM   #7
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: Way back of nowhere
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

They seem to be great people but unfortunately their prime role so far seems to be:
1. Uhura - Spock's Girlfriend
2. Carol - Admiral Marcus' daughter
3. Amanda - Spock's mum
4. Galia - Kirks FWB

I'd like to see just one girl whose main role isn't to be the princess or the girlfriend.
They're making a bit of headway with Uhura.
Perhaps they can make Carol out to be the great scientist she was in TWOK.

If Star Trek is to appeal to more people maybe they could have a younger woman in a serious role. She can be good looking but nobody's secretary, daughter, princess ruler please.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 09:47 AM   #8
Opus
Commodore
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Location: Bloom County
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

Uhura was the one out of the entire crew who beamed down to the garbage scow with phaser in hand and both saved Spock and took down Khan.

Zap!
__________________
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 10:11 AM   #9
serenitytrek1
Commander
 
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

I seem to view uhura on a more or less bias level, however I don't agree with all the hate she has gotten. many male fans hate her because she has taken Bones place and many female fans hate her because she is interfering with slash fan fiction.

But is Uhura really a heroine?

sure uhura helps in Khan been taken out but would Uhura have gone done to help Spock if he was not her boyfriend in danger?


Amanda was a strong woman. she at least could put up with a full blooded Vulcan, I just wished they had not deleted the scene from the 09 film where she tells Sarek that humans leave their partners when they get disgusted with them.

Carol Marcus had and still has potential but the strip scene overshadowed her character.

As for Galia...oh well.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 01:58 PM   #10
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: Way back of nowhere
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

Opus wrote: View Post
Uhura was the one out of the entire crew who beamed down to the garbage scow with phaser in hand and both saved Spock and took down Khan.

Zap!
If Uhura had taken Khan down herself it would have been different but if you look at that scene you say Spock took Khan down with help from Uhura.
Uhura needs to be awesome on her own to be a heroine IMO.

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
I seem to view uhura on a more or less bias level, however I don't agree with all the hate she has gotten. many male fans hate her because she has taken Bones place and many female fans hate her because she is interfering with slash fan fiction.

But is Uhura really a heroine?

sure uhura helps in Khan been taken out but would Uhura have gone done to help Spock if he was not her boyfriend in danger?
Is there that much hate for Uhura out there?

I think Uhura beamed down because she knew the situation not just to help Spock.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 02:38 PM   #11
serenitytrek1
Commander
 
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Opus wrote: View Post
Uhura was the one out of the entire crew who beamed down to the garbage scow with phaser in hand and both saved Spock and took down Khan.

Zap!
If Uhura had taken Khan down herself it would have been different but if you look at that scene you say Spock took Khan down with help from Uhura.
Uhura needs to be awesome on her own to be a heroine IMO.

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
I seem to view uhura on a more or less bias level, however I don't agree with all the hate she has gotten. many male fans hate her because she has taken Bones place and many female fans hate her because she is interfering with slash fan fiction.

But is Uhura really a heroine?

sure uhura helps in Khan been taken out but would Uhura have gone done to help Spock if he was not her boyfriend in danger?
Is there that much hate for Uhura out there?

I think Uhura beamed down because she knew the situation not just to help Spock.

Sadly there is much hate for her. I don't think the hate is fair at all, however some of the hate seems harmless and done in good fun others seem just to way over the top.

I love how you say Uhura's needs to stand on her own, the Klingon scene was a good start but that was all she got.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

How does Uhura being Spock's girlfriend make her not a heroine? The same for Amanda being Spock's mom or Carol being Marcus' daughter? Heroism is about what they do not who they are. If all Carol did was show off her undies, then you might have a point.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 05:02 PM   #13
Opus
Commodore
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Location: Bloom County
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

I think folks may want to rewatch that fight scene between Spock and Khan. Spock was getting his ass handed to him until Uhura beamed down and phasered Khan. And she was the one who stopped Spock from outright killing Khan because they needed his blood to save Kirk.

She saved the day.
__________________
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 05:09 PM   #14
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

Opus wrote: View Post
I think folks may want to rewatch that fight scene between Spock and Khan. Spock was getting his ass handed to him until Uhura beamed down and phasered Khan. And she was the one who stopped Spock from outright killing Khan because they needed his blood to save Kirk.

She saved the day.
I think that if anyone else had beamed down, Spock kills Khan.
__________________
"When I first heard about it (the Enterprise underwater), my inner Trekkie was in a rage. When I saw it, my inner kid beat up my inner Trekkie and made him go sit in the corner." - Bill Jasper
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 06:48 PM   #15
serenitytrek1
Commander
 
Re: Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Opus wrote: View Post
I think folks may want to rewatch that fight scene between Spock and Khan. Spock was getting his ass handed to him until Uhura beamed down and phasered Khan. And she was the one who stopped Spock from outright killing Khan because they needed his blood to save Kirk.

She saved the day.
I think that if anyone else had beamed down, Spock kills Khan.


Actually Khan would have killed Spock. Spock seems to have a lot of endurance when he fights but he still would have lost the fight.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.