Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old August 16 2013, 08:37 PM   #541
Scout101
Admiral

Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Ha, seems they forgot to tell him he was retiring when the press asked him about it, as he intends to still look for another job managing next season.

All that said, his team has spent a lot of money and not gotten much for it lately, so makes sense to fire him. And as this was kinda the idea when they hired Sandberg, may as well see what they've got for a month or so before going into the offseason. He won't be tied to the win-loss, as not a ton he can do to shake it up now, but if they like his style, he gets to stay.

And, of course, Philly is known for its class
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old August 17 2013, 12:05 AM   #542
Pondwater
Commodore

Tough break. He just earned his 1,000th win Monday night. If that means anything.
Old August 17 2013, 02:16 AM   #543
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Scout101 wrote: View Post
And, of course, Philly is known for its class
Hey, don't hold the fans against the firing. I think the general consensus is Manuel is a nice guy, not a great manager, but manager isn't really all that important to baseball and he wasn't the problem with the team. I'm indifferent to the firing. You can't fire an entire team, though.
Old August 17 2013, 02:42 AM   #544
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
You can't fire an entire team, though.
No, but you can fire the guy who's systematically turned it from a pennant contender to an utter joke over the past several years.

Manuel's basically blameless for this year and last, given the shitstorm rosters he's been given. Ben fuckin' Revere and Michael Young are not exactly valuable pieces, and the Phillies' roster and farm system are so brutal that they're an 85 - 90-loss team for probably the next two years at least -- they need a shortstop, third baseman, first baseman, center fielder, right fielder, catcher, two starters and three bullpen arms, essentially.

I love the criticisms that Manuel didn't create enough of a "clubhouse presence." How is that determined? Number of pizzas ordered? Talking in the third person? Expensive contracts? And Rube couldn't even sack up and actually call it a firing. Just shameful.

Most galling is that tonight was the night the Phillies were going to honor Manuel for winning his 1,000th game as the team's manager. Instead, nope, clean out your office. In the words of Star-Kist ... sorry, Charlie.

Edit: Fun fact: Chip Kelly has not coached a regular-season game in the NFL and is already the second-longest-tenured head coach in Philadelphia.
Old August 17 2013, 03:40 AM   #545
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I get the feeling the Cubs are going to regret not giving Sandberg the job.
Old August 17 2013, 05:02 AM   #546
Use of Time
Commodore

At this point the Braves are actively trolling the Nationals. Bryce gets pegged twice tonight and J-Up walks off. Ray Knight was about to lose his mind during the post game show on "Nats X-tra." He wants retribution and he wants Justin Upton's head on a platter. He also calls the Braves fans classless for applauding the beaning of Bryce. I'm sure the Nationals faithful would be disgusted if Upton were to take a fastball between the shoulder blades.

People ask me how the Nationals win 98 some games last year and then play around .500 baseball this year. I have no answer. Davey Johnson was handed the keys to a Lexus only to leave it crashed and burning in a ditch. Blows my mind. It is the same damn team as last year.
Old August 17 2013, 08:52 AM   #547
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
The Cubs knew there would be a few years of bad times. I'm not sure they wanted to do that to Ryno.
Old August 17 2013, 07:37 PM   #548
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Not at all. If you look at Sandberg's track record as a minor-league manager, he loves bunts. Not just bunts to move runners over, bunts in general. In essence, he loves giving up outs, which is the antithesis of the philosophy espoused by Epstein and Hoyer, who remember that you only get 27 of them, and each one is precious. Sandberg simply didn't fit with the organizational philosophy.

In any event, Sandberg has been up for a bunch of big-league jobs and whiffed hard in his interviews; he isn't all that hot of a managerial prospect at this point. I'll never understand the continued hand-wringing by Cubs fans about him being passed over for Sveum (who is clearly a stopgap manager).
Old August 17 2013, 08:03 PM   #549
Use of Time
Commodore

So what is the over/under on Justin Upton wearing a Strasburg fastball tonight? Please God just don't let anyone get hurt.
Old August 17 2013, 08:20 PM   #550
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Use of Time wrote: View Post
So what is the over/under on Justin Upton wearing a Strasburg fastball tonight?
That, uh, isn't how over / under works.
Old August 17 2013, 08:49 PM   #551
Use of Time
Commodore

Timby wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
So what is the over/under on Justin Upton wearing a Strasburg fastball tonight?
That, uh, isn't how over / under works.
Well, Nationals fans are wanting him to get hit every at bat so we could set it at two as long as Stras only gets a warning on the first one.
Old August 17 2013, 09:35 PM   #552
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
You can't fire an entire team, though.
No, but you can fire the guy who's systematically turned it from a pennant contender to an utter joke over the past several years.

Manuel's basically blameless for this year and last, given the shitstorm rosters he's been given. Ben fuckin' Revere and Michael Young are not exactly valuable pieces, and the Phillies' roster and farm system are so brutal that they're an 85 - 90-loss team for probably the next two years at least -- they need a shortstop, third baseman, first baseman, center fielder, right fielder, catcher, two starters and three bullpen arms, essentially.

I love the criticisms that Manuel didn't create enough of a "clubhouse presence." How is that determined? Number of pizzas ordered? Talking in the third person? Expensive contracts? And Rube couldn't even sack up and actually call it a firing. Just shameful.

Most galling is that tonight was the night the Phillies were going to honor Manuel for winning his 1,000th game as the team's manager. Instead, nope, clean out your office. In the words of Star-Kist ... sorry, Charlie.

Edit: Fun fact: Chip Kelly has not coached a regular-season game in the NFL and is already the second-longest-tenured head coach in Philadelphia.
The Phillies are the NL Yankees - aging players with bloated, long term contracts and a depleted farm system.

I don't see the rationale for canning Manuel with weeks left in a lost season. The guy has had a bunch of good years there with a title thrown in. Unless this is an on the job audition for Sandberg, they could have just waited until the day after the season to wack him.
Old August 17 2013, 10:55 PM   #553
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
The Phillies are the NL Yankees - aging players with bloated, long term contracts and a depleted farm system.

I don't see the rationale for canning Manuel with weeks left in a lost season. The guy has had a bunch of good years there with a title thrown in. Unless this is an on the job audition for Sandberg, they could have just waited until the day after the season to wack him.
The difference between the Yankees and the Phillies is that the Yankees' woes are largely due to the business guys like Levine running the show, and Hal Steinbrenner's Project 189 madness. The Phillies' problem is that a certifiable lunatic who once said "I don't care about walks" is in charge of their front office.

Manuel wasn't even under contract after this season, which makes the firing all the more bizarre.
Old August 18 2013, 01:05 AM   #554
Use of Time
Commodore

Stras drills Upton, Upton smiles and takes his base. No brawl. The Nationals can rest easy knowing that Harper is protected. Bryce is not playing tonight either. Baseball is hilarious.
Old August 18 2013, 01:57 AM   #555
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Not at all. If you look at Sandberg's track record as a minor-league manager, he loves bunts. Not just bunts to move runners over, bunts in general. In essence, he loves giving up outs, which is the antithesis of the philosophy espoused by Epstein and Hoyer, who remember that you only get 27 of them, and each one is precious. Sandberg simply didn't fit with the organizational philosophy.

In any event, Sandberg has been up for a bunch of big-league jobs and whiffed hard in his interviews; he isn't all that hot of a managerial prospect at this point. I'll never understand the continued hand-wringing by Cubs fans about him being passed over for Sveum (who is clearly a stopgap manager).
You're right about Sveum being a stopgap manager. I never was that impressed with him, but I guess at least he's treading water however barely. You've valid points about Sandberg not being what Epstein wants, though my main source of hand wringing is hey... if we're going to have a guy in there losing, it may as well be somebody the fans like. If nothing else, the guy deserves a chance, and it's not a big gamble since the club isn't competing anyways.

What's done is done though, and I hope Ryno does well for the Phillies.