Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old August 17 2013, 12:41 AM   #136
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

Aw, I would have gone with you.

...wait, is that creepy?

(ponders the dubious merits of being able to say he freaked out a published Trek author)
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 12:47 AM   #137
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post

...wait, is that creepy?

(ponders the dubious merits of being able to say he freaked out a published Trek author)
Oh, it takes more than that to freak me out!
Old August 17 2013, 12:57 AM   #138
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Timby wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Max Grodénchik's Bajoran is in the bonus scenes, not Quark's.
Trill, not Bajoran.

Ha. I knew it sounded wrong when Dick_Valentine first said it.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 12:59 AM   #139
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

...wait, is that creepy?

Oh, it takes more than that to freak me out!
Challenge Accepted.
Old August 17 2013, 01:15 AM   #140
Lance
Fleet Captain

I'm not sure anyone was ever terribly excited by INSURRECTION. I remember that it was the first Trek movie I ever saw all by myself--because I couldn't find anyone who wanted to see it with me.
My older brother (not particularly a Trek fan) went with me to see both First Contact and Insurrection (hey, I was really only a kid at the time!). But when Nemesis rolled around, I couldn't convince him and I ended up watching that one alone. Never did get around to asking why he wouldn't take on that one...
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 01:22 AM   #141
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Granted, part of the problem with that INSURRECTION screening was merely scheduling. I simply couldn't coordinate things with the usual gang of Trekkies, but the fact that everybody was too busy to get together on opening night probably says something. As opposed to those halcyon days when the opening of a new Trek movie was an Event that nobody wanted to miss!

Or maybe we were all just getting too middle-aged?
Old August 17 2013, 02:07 AM   #142
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Granted, part of the problem with that INSURRECTION screening was merely scheduling. I simply couldn't coordinate things with the usual gang of Trekkies, but the fact that everybody was too busy to get together on opening night probably says something. As opposed to those halcyon days when the opening of a new Trek movie was an Event that nobody wanted to miss!

Or maybe we were all just getting too middle-aged?
I can relate to this.

Our club (before my time) attended a huge costumed gala premiere for TMP in Sydney. Fans still talk about it today. A similar event was held for ST II and I helped organise the gala events for ST III and IV. ST V was a much scaled-down event; Paramount barely cared. I saw a preview for ST VI in Paramount's theatrette but was overseas for the Sydney premiere night, but it was "small potatoes". "Generations"' fan event was held in a suburban multiplex, "First Contact" a bit closer to the gala events of old, but "Insurrection" was merely a collection of interested friends (and no one in costume). An enjoyable night, but I was bemused to notice a few friends refusing to buy "Insurrection" on DVD when it came out; I hadn't realised they had found it so offensive on opening night. "Nemesis" was a workmate and me, in a local suburban cinema on opening night, and very few other attendees.

What has been wonderful about the JJ films has been Paramount taking on giant red carpet gala openings - the Sydney Opera House world premiere in 2009, and an amazing recreation of the brig, corridors and observation deck for "Into Darkness" - injecting sufficient enthusiasm and marketing $$$$ to get publicity.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 02:14 AM   #143
DonIago
Rear Admiral

If it might help...I find INS to be sub-par, but TFF remains the only one I don't even have on DVD.
Old August 17 2013, 11:35 AM   #144
Smellmet
Commander

I rank Insurrection and Generations around equal 10th or 11th out of the 12, I still really enjoy both though (I saw Generations 4 times on the big screen so it can't be that bad!) There is a big gap from those two to number 12 and in my opinion the worst in the series by a long way though - and thats the Final frontier
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 03:03 PM   #145
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'm not sure anyone was ever terribly excited by INSURRECTION. I remember that it was the first Trek movie I ever saw all by myself--because I couldn't find anyone who wanted to see it with me.
Insurrection is the only Trek film I didn't see in the theater since I was old enough to start going on my own (The Voyage Home).

Nothing that I saw or read about the film made me want to go see it.
Old August 17 2013, 03:15 PM   #146
Shikarnov
Rear Admiral

I'm a little late to the thread, but I think Insurrection's main problem wasn't the general idea, but the way some details played out (like Action-Hero-Picard stocking the yacht with a small arsenal and preparing to fly down alone -- and later opting to destroy the collector instead of sending Worf), the characterizations (since when is the Enterprise crew so unprofessional and inexperienced to express amusement over another culture's customs during a diplomatic function? ), poor attempts at humor (singing to Data in the shuttlecraft) and most horrifically, the joystick.

That's my two cents.
Old August 17 2013, 04:02 PM   #147
Gojira
Commodore

If it might help...I find INS to be sub-par, but TFF remains the only one I don't even have on DVD.
For the longest time I did not own TFF on DVD bvut I eventually bought it. It has some good moments in there and I do enjoy the movie. When I saw it in the theater evryone was laughing and having a good time. Today, much of the humor is cringe worthy. I wish they would do a directors cut and edit most of it out.
Old August 17 2013, 04:04 PM   #148
DonIago
Rear Admiral

Well, I liked the singing and I find the general idea extremely problematic.
Old August 17 2013, 04:05 PM   #149
DonIago
Rear Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
For the longest time I did not own TFF on DVD bvut I eventually bought it. It has some good moments in there and I do enjoy the movie. When I saw it in the theater evryone was laughing and having a good time. Today, much of the humor is cringe worthy. I wish they would do a directors cut and edit most of it out.
It isn't without its moments, I've just felt absolutely no desire to buy it so that I might rewatch them.

I'd be more likely to pick it up as part of a larger set...but until there's a Blu Ray set that includes the DE of TMP that's not going to be happening either.
Old August 17 2013, 04:39 PM   #150
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

...I find the general idea extremely problematic.
An alien pretending to be God seeking escape from a prison.

You find that extremely problematic?

I never found the idea problematic. What I found problematic was trying to tell that type of story surrounded by humor.