New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old August 3 2013, 10:13 PM   #31
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: What do we know about the years between ST5 and ST6?

Timo wrote: View Post
Depends. Onscreen, we can only establish that TMP can't have taken place earlier than late 2272 (because Kirk hasn't been logging star hours for 2.5 years, and Kirk's five-year mission ended during the year 2270 as per VOY dialogue). We can't establish the last possible date for TMP very well, except of course as "before TWoK".
There's also a line spoken by President Jaresh-Inyo in "Homefront" stating that there hadn't been a Starfleet emergency in nearly a century with the exception of the Borg incident. It's not clear if he's referring to V'Ger as he could be talking about the events of TVH, as well. But it's certainly possible that he could be referring to events one hundred years in the past when dealing with a crisis in 2372.

Timo wrote:
We have indirect evidence, but not much of it. At least some starships adopted the new red wraparound uniform jackets by 2278, as per TNG "Cause and Effect", so it would be odd if Earth and the Enterprise (both central to the Federation and thus likely to receive hot new fashion very fast) continued to wear the TMP wardrobe after that date. However, TMP dialogue also says Voyager Six disappeared more than 300 years before the events of the movie, and in the real world the first Voyager was launched no earlier than 1977.
We also see personnel from other Starfleet installations wearing similar uniforms during TMP, but there's no sign of the TWOK uniforms. Kirk was wearing an admiral's uniform before boarding Enterprise due to his having served as CSO prior to TMP, and Commander Branch and his staff at Epsilon IX wore uniforms much like those worn by the Enterprise crew.

--Sran
Old August 5 2013, 05:01 AM   #32
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Scotty bought a boat so clearly has a lot of time.
...Or is preparing to having some in the future.

In any case, Kirk had time for a log cabin (but not for a family) some years before ST2, according to ST:GEN. And Kirk's cabin is on Earth and supposedly not mobile, while Scotty might have bought a boat he can try out on every planet his starship visits.

Uhuru seems to be teaching.
Umm, how so? And what subject?

Timo Saloniemi
In TUC, Uhura mentions that she's supposed to be chairing a seminar at the Academy. She never mentions the subject. I'd assume it has to do with advanced hailing frequency opening.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 02:33 AM   #33
Gojira
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Interesting topic. I've been flirting with the idea of setting a book in that period . . .
Please do!!!
Old August 16 2013, 01:36 PM   #34
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
Scotty bought a boat so clearly has a lot of time.
...Or is preparing to having some in the future.

In any case, Kirk had time for a log cabin (but not for a family) some years before ST2, according to ST:GEN. And Kirk's cabin is on Earth and supposedly not mobile, while Scotty might have bought a boat he can try out on every planet his starship visits.

Uhuru seems to be teaching.
Umm, how so? And what subject?

Timo Saloniemi
In TUC, Uhura mentions that she's supposed to be chairing a seminar at the Academy. She never mentions the subject. I'd assume it has to do with advanced hailing frequency opening.
In most stories, Uhura is an excellent linguist. Except in "The Undiscovered Country", I guess.
Old August 16 2013, 05:12 PM   #35
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Captain Nebula wrote: View Post

In most stories, Uhura is an excellent linguist. Except in "The Undiscovered Country", I guess.
No.

Uhura is never shown to be a linguist in the TV series or movies until J.J. Abrams shows up.
Old August 16 2013, 05:17 PM   #36
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Captain Nebula wrote: View Post

No.

Uhura is never shown to be a linguist in the TV series or movies until J.J. Abrams shows up.
Precisely. It may be a staple of fanon, but the idea that Uhura is some sort of brilliant linguist cannot be found anywhere in the original TV series or movies. At no time is she ever portrayed as being fluent in Klingon or Romulan or any other alien language.

Onscreen, she's always relied on the Universal Translator just like everybody else.
Old August 16 2013, 05:21 PM   #37
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

^^^
Just one of those things that grew up out of nowhere in fandom. Like Spock being the first and/or only vulcan in Starfleet.
Old August 16 2013, 05:29 PM   #38
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mysterion wrote: View Post
^^^
Just one of those things that grew up out of nowhere in fandom. Like Spock being the first and/or only vulcan in Starfleet.
Bingo. And then people forget that it was never actually established on the TV show.
Old August 16 2013, 05:54 PM   #39
Praetor
Vice Admiral

If anything, wouldn't the red shirt mark Uhura as a brilliant technician or engineer? She is seen repairing systems at least once (in coveralls, no less) in TOS.

The brilliance is inferred from her presence on the Enterprise. YMMV.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 06:20 PM   #40
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Praetor wrote: View Post
If anything, wouldn't the red shirt mark Uhura as a brilliant technician or engineer? She is seen repairing systems at least once (in coveralls, no less) in TOS.

The brilliance is inferred from her presence on the Enterprise. YMMV.
Yeah, I see her role as that of a tech or engineer for just those reasons. She's great at operating and repairing the Communication equipment. Hoshi in Enterprise is a linguist and wears Science blue. Nuhura is both.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 06:30 PM   #41
Relayer1
Commodore

Gojira wrote: View Post
Interesting topic. I've been flirting with the idea of setting a book in that period . . .
Please do!!!
Make it a series ! I promise to buy them all.

O.K., I buy them all anyway...
Old August 16 2013, 07:28 PM   #42
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Please do!!!

Time to get back to that outline . . . .
Old August 16 2013, 08:20 PM   #43
Timo
Admiral

If anything, wouldn't the red shirt mark Uhura as a brilliant technician or engineer?
Spock even commends her for the very thing in "Who Mourns for Adonais", in connection with a difficult bypass job:

"I can think no one better equipped to handle it, Miss Uhura. Please proceed."
No such praise for her oral/aural skills, and no begging for such. Spock probably isn't emotionally compromised in "Who Mourns", either, so we can take his word for it that Uhura Prime can hold a mean soldering iron.

Hoshi in Enterprise is a linguist and wears Science blue. Nuhura is both.
Did we actually learn nuUhura would have repairperson skills?

Interestingly, Uhura Prime wore command gold for a few episodes, perhaps suggesting career ambitions cut short by Kirk reshuffling his crew after the early casualties and before the first proper starbase visit. nuUhura started out with red, but that doesn't mean she'd be devoid of such ambitions... We don't know what she used to wear back in her Cadet days, and many a command officer has been witnessed doing a stint in the "services" colors soon after graduation.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 08:20 PM   #44
Relayer1
Commodore

Relayer1 wrote: View Post

Please do!!!

Time to get back to that outline . . . .
Great idea !
Old August 16 2013, 08:36 PM   #45
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Spock even commends her for the very thing in "Who Mourns for Adonais", in connection with a difficult bypass job:

"I can think no one better equipped to handle it, Miss Uhura. Please proceed."
No such praise for her oral/aural skills, and no begging for such. Spock probably isn't emotionally compromised in "Who Mourns", either, so we can take his word for it that Uhura Prime can hold a mean soldering iron.
Thanks, Timo, that was precisely the instance I was trying to recall!

Interestingly, Uhura Prime wore command gold for a few episodes, perhaps suggesting career ambitions cut short by Kirk reshuffling his crew after the early casualties and before the first proper starbase visit. nuUhura started out with red, but that doesn't mean she'd be devoid of such ambitions... We don't know what she used to wear back in her Cadet days, and many a command officer has been witnessed doing a stint in the "services" colors soon after graduation.
Excellent point. The books have her become a chief muckety muck of Starfleet Intelligence later on, so there's that. And to wit, even though Sulu was on the command track, he did know how to fly the ship and if I recall correctly knew a thing or two about repairs too. It makes sense that Uhura, with ship's communications being something of a command and control system, would be "able" to wear Gold.

Perhaps she merely tried to keep a low profile? Section 31 surely wouldn't want to call attention to their agents. Then again, she wore that darn minidress pretty well.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote