MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 16 2013, 03:10 PM   #76
Starkers
Admiral

Re: The Nearly-Disastrous Start to the David Tennant Era

And doesn't John Barrowman also sing...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 04:07 PM   #77
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Starkers wrote: View Post
Yep, some awful stuff he sings.

If you want to venture back into the classic series, Sophie Aldred (Ace) also sang.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 05:34 PM   #78
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
A: Despite junkyards being a weird places, that episode was indeed from a more RTD/Pertwee point of view before entering the TARDIS. After that point they mostly went to complete, new settings instead of just stuff coming at their place like often with Pertwee and RTD. The PoV character thing though, was there too until Leela (?), but that has nothing to do with how mundane the stuff is we're looking at.

B,C: Dunno what those are. Doesn't seem much at all?

D: That sounds like it might have been a common discussion when the episode was made but I don't think slavery's really mundane at all, nor really the thing 7 was getting at.
Nitpicking aside, the show has always been interested in modern society and the contemporary world, has constantly be providing us with the point of view of ordinary people, has persistently shown us the everyday life of British people of all creeds. It's always been part of the formula and in my opinion, denying it is as absurd as it is futile.
Old August 16 2013, 09:59 PM   #79
Konata Izumi
Commander

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Nitpicking aside, the show has always been interested in modern society and the contemporary world, has constantly be providing us with the point of view of ordinary people, has persistently shown us the everyday life of British people of all creeds. It's always been part of the formula and in my opinion, denying it is as absurd as it is futile.
Maybe it did find ordinary conversations a little more exciting than many sf shows. I didn't get much information about people though other than that they tend to be either bored at work or angry, unless they're some kind of professors. I think it's mostly just setting a bored mood though, when not plot set-up.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 01:35 AM   #80
jbny67
Commander

Starkers wrote: View Post
Yes.
jbny67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 09:16 PM   #81
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

^Very good. You get a gold star!

As to stunt casting, I would point out that, as an American who has never heard of most of these people prior to Doctor Who, I've never had a problem with the show's "stunt" casting. They all just come across as actors to me. (The only possible exception for me is that blonde woman from "A Christmas Carol." I'd never heard of her but the episode did seem to be trying awfully hard to come up with an excuse to get her to sing.)

As to the early Tennant era, I really loved most of Season 2 when I first saw it 7 years ago. But when I've rewatched it, I've found that it's generally aged very badly.

"The Christmas Invasion" is brilliant whenever the Doctor is actually awake in it. But when he's not, it's just Rose whining about how the Doctor may never wake up, when we all know that he will. And what they did with Harriet Jones was just a waste considering what a good character she was set up to be in Season 1.

Oddly, "New Earth" is one of the few episodes that I like better now than I did back then. It's not a great episode but I can't for the life of me remember why I used to hate it so much. It's perfectly serviceable, if a bit cheesy, which seems typical for the era.

"Tooth & Claw" and "School Reunion" are much worse than I remembered. Too much running down corridors while being chased by very dodgy CGI monsters. Too much Doctor/Rose angst or Doctor/Rose mushyness. Too much emphasis on just how useless Mickey is. Between these 2 episodes, the only saving graces are Anthony Stewart Head and the return of Sarah Jane Smith. (Though, even then, they seem to have retconned more of a romance between the Doctor & Sarah Jane then I think you can plausibly infer from her classic series appearances. And her departure in "The Hand of Fear" was far more amicable than "School Reunion" implies.)

"The Girl in the Fireplace" is still great. (Although, maybe I just like it because it undermines all the Doctor/Rose 'shipping.)

I don't get quite so giddy over the Cybermen appearances in "Rise of the Cybermen," "The Age of Steel," "Army of Ghosts," & "Doomsday" any more. But they're still decent.

"The Idiot's Lantern" was fine except for all the Abusive Daddy Issues (TM). Then, 4 episodes later we get a very similar episode with "Fear Her." Only, "Fear Her" is considerably worse because this one has Rose trying to save the Doctor instead of the Doctor trying to save Rose. While Season 2 is rife with problems, it's easier to gloss over them because David Tennant is so much fun to watch as the Doctor. So whenever he's absent for most of the episode, the episode suffers.

I liked "The Impossible Planet"/"The Satan Pit" because it's the first proper space-station-under-siege story that the new series has done. Prior to that, the show felt very frustratingly Earth-bound. Even the episodes set in the future were still set either on Earth or New Earth or in Earth's orbit. This was the first time the new series went exploring with a small crew in an isolated base when they're attacked from within by posessed aliens. To me, this was the first story where the new series legitimately felt like the old series. With a few tweaks, I could see the story just as easily be rewritten for the 4th Doctor & Sarah Jane, or the 5th Doctor & Peri, or the 7th Doctor & Ace.

To be honest, even after 7 years, I've still never rewatched "Love & Monsters." I just hated it that much the 1st time around.
Old August 19 2013, 10:53 PM   #82
MacLeod
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
VDCNI wrote: View Post
Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
Now that they're casting actors, casting has worked pretty well. They only cast a singer as someone who sings well, and looks very happy.
Huh? They only cast one singer and had a few celebs in cameos, casting hasn't changed.

Plus Kylie is long down the list of problems with Voyage Of The Dammed.
Why does everyone keep pointing at Kylie, as if she's the only singer cast? Wasn't Billie Piper a Pop Singer?
I seem to remember Kylie acting in a TV show called "Neighbours" before she became a pop star. So they merely cast an actor who is also known for a singing career.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 08:53 AM   #83
Starkers
Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
VDCNI wrote: View Post

Huh? They only cast one singer and had a few celebs in cameos, casting hasn't changed.

Plus Kylie is long down the list of problems with Voyage Of The Dammed.
Why does everyone keep pointing at Kylie, as if she's the only singer cast? Wasn't Billie Piper a Pop Singer?
I seem to remember Kylie acting in a TV show called "Neighbours" before she became a pop star. So they merely cast an actor who is also known for a singing career.
Yeah, and to be honest she'd done other things like The Sullivans beforehand anyway. She started out as an actress but became much better known as a singer, whereas Billie was obviously the opposite.

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
I liked "The Impossible Planet"/"The Satan Pit" because it's the first proper space-station-under-siege story that the new series has done. Prior to that, the show felt very frustratingly Earth-bound. Even the episodes set in the future were still set either on Earth or New Earth or in Earth's orbit. This was the first time the new series went exploring with a small crew in an isolated base when they're attacked from within by posessed aliens. To me, this was the first story where the new series legitimately felt like the old series. With a few tweaks, I could see the story just as easily be rewritten for the 4th Doctor & Sarah Jane, or the 5th Doctor & Peri, or the 7th Doctor & Ace.
I agree, one of the first nuWho episodes where you could have just plonked any classic Doctor/companion(s) into...although obviously 4 and SJS wouldn't have mooned over each other whilst discussing mortgages

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote