Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 16 2013, 05:16 AM   #61
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Nearly-Disastrous Start to the David Tennant Era

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
Classic Who was rarely mundane in any way, but there was the very casual mood of the main character. Completely differently distinctive.
"Rarely mundane"? Are you kidding? The series starts in a junkyard!

ISOBEL: "Hey! That's a jolly outfit. Would you mind posing for me?"

YATES: "Fancy a dance, Brigadier?"
BRIGADIER: "It's kind of you, Captain Yates. I think I'd rather have a pint."

"My father, he was a cane cutter. "
"Exactly. Now, if no one had used sugar, your father wouldn't have been a cane cutter."
"If this sugar thing had never started, my great-grandfather wouldn't have been kidnapped, chained up, and sold in Kingston in the first place. I'd be an African."
Old August 16 2013, 06:13 AM   #62
VDCNI
Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Moffat still stunt casts, but I'd take John Hurt over Kylie Minogue or Michelle Ryan. He's actually a great actor.
I don't see how John Hurt is stunt casting in anyway - its a big role that needs a very good actor. No different from casting Derek Jacobi, Simon Callow or David Morrissey.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 08:56 AM   #63
Starkers
Admiral

Is she even a singer?
Actually yes she is, and as an actress she's far from being the worst actress in the show's histroy. Know what else she is, succesful and has been so since the late 1980s. She might not be your taste, but she has talent.

As for stunt casting, I know it's terrible. Hale and Pace, Nicolas Parsons, John Cleese, the Beatles...I do wish RTD and Moffat would stop this, it never happened in the old show you know...

Now that they're casting actors, casting has worked pretty well. They only cast a singer as someone who sings well, and looks very happy.
Starkers wrote: View Post
Actual giggling schoolgirls? Nothing. A 900 year old alien acting like a giggling schoolgirl? Plenty...
Ten seemed always immature, at least he was happy then. He always went with the flow, and when things went wrong, he put up a terrible appearance. It's not as wise as 900 years would suggest, yet it happened.
sadly Freema just tended to blend into the background around chew the scenery Tennant...
That's the tragedy, the blackness makes it happen, when she was so close to being a wise healer person. Society.
sorry the blackness? I never bought Freema's race into it, she just doesn't have much of a screen presense. Noel Clarke is black but he never blended into the background because he has presense.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 12:13 PM   #64
TJ Sinclair
Captain

sorry the blackness? I never bought Freema's race into it, she just doesn't have much of a screen presense. Noel Clarke is black but he never blended into the background because he has presense.
In what universe does Noel Clarke have more screen presence in Doctor Who than Freema Agyeman? Not the one I know, certainly. Martha was more dynamic, interesting and charismatic in her first episode than Mickey was in two seasons of the show.

That's not to say that Noel Clarke is a bad actor, just that he couldn't do much with the shit he was given. That being said, he managed to have more presence in his two scenes in Into Darkness than the majority of the film's cast, including Cumberbatch. Again, writing.
Old August 16 2013, 12:17 PM   #65
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Is she even a singer?
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 01:06 PM   #66
VDCNI
Captain

Now that they're casting actors, casting has worked pretty well. They only cast a singer as someone who sings well, and looks very happy.
Huh? They only cast one singer and had a few celebs in cameos, casting hasn't changed.

Plus Kylie is long down the list of problems with Voyage Of The Dammed.
Old August 16 2013, 01:46 PM   #67
Konata Izumi
Commander

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
"Rarely mundane"? Are you kidding? The series starts in a junkyard!

ISOBEL: "Hey! That's a jolly outfit. Would you mind posing for me?"

YATES: "Fancy a dance, Brigadier?"
BRIGADIER: "It's kind of you, Captain Yates. I think I'd rather have a pint."

"My father, he was a cane cutter. "
"Exactly. Now, if no one had used sugar, your father wouldn't have been a cane cutter."
"If this sugar thing had never started, my great-grandfather wouldn't have been kidnapped, chained up, and sold in Kingston in the first place. I'd be an African."
A: Despite junkyards being a weird places, that episode was indeed from a more RTD/Pertwee point of view before entering the TARDIS. After that point they mostly went to complete, new settings instead of just stuff coming at their place like often with Pertwee and RTD. The PoV character thing though, was there too until Leela (?), but that has nothing to do with how mundane the stuff is we're looking at.

B,C: Dunno what those are. Doesn't seem much at all?

D: That sounds like it might have been a common discussion when the episode was made but I don't think slavery's really mundane at all, nor really the thing 7 was getting at.

Last edited by Konata Izumi; August 16 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 01:52 PM   #68
Konata Izumi
Commander

VDCNI wrote: View Post
Huh? They only cast one singer and had a few celebs in cameos, casting hasn't changed.

Donna's actor was a talk show host and Rose's was another singer, but I won't judge her acting as I was not interested in the character she was playing, it might have been spot on.
Old August 16 2013, 01:56 PM   #69
VDCNI
Captain

Donna's actor was a talk show host and Rose's was another singer, but I won't judge her acting as I was not interested in the character she was playing, it might have been spot on.
Catherine Tate was never a talk show host and Billie Piper had long given up singing for acting.
Old August 16 2013, 02:10 PM   #70
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

As for stunt casting, I know it's terrible. Hale and Pace, Nicolas Parsons, John Cleese, the Beatles...I do wish RTD and Moffat would stop this, it never happened in the old show you know...
What a terrible point you're making. Yes, I do wish RTD and Moffat would stop it because it was shit and annoying in the old show too.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 02:11 PM   #71
Konata Izumi
Commander

Catherine Tate was never a talk show host and Billie Piper had long given up singing for acting.
I see! Sketch comedy then though.
Old August 16 2013, 02:24 PM   #72
Starkers
Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
What a terrible point you're making. Yes, I do wish RTD and Moffat would stop it because it was shit and annoying in the old show too.
It's not the end of the world though is it, if we see McFly for a few seconds?

Do you even know what you're talking about? Tate was acting on Tv in the early 90s, and didn't even start doing stand up until years later, and why the hell shouldn't people change job role? Should Brad Pitt have stayed a model, should Harrison Ford have stuck to carpentry? People can have more than one string to their bow, and there are plenty of singers who become actors, and vice versa. I'm not the greatest Piper fan in the world, but her acting output is far more substantial than her tiny output as a pop star, and most people barely even know she ever had some hit records.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 02:43 PM   #73
Konata Izumi
Commander

Do you even know what you're talking about?
No?
Old August 16 2013, 02:46 PM   #74
VDCNI
Captain

I see! Sketch comedy then though.
She's trained and worked as an actress first and even if she didn't the list of comedians who have taken serious roles is a long one.
Old August 16 2013, 03:02 PM   #75
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Why does everyone keep pointing at Kylie, as if she's the only singer cast? Wasn't Billie Piper a Pop Singer?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote