Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 26 2013, 11:13 AM   #16
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Re: IDW Publishing's License Concludes

I've read very little of IDW's Doctor Who output, in all honesty. After consistently being disappointed in their Star Trek offerings, I didn't really give their take on the Doctor(s) a fair shake. I know a lot of people who swear by IDW's GI Joe and Transformers output, but I swear, their Trekstuff has *always* left me cold, and what little Who I read wasn't much better. But at least they seem to have managed to get better writers for Who than for their Trek line, even if the art is rather dodgy in places. I don't know much about Lee, but Fialkov is definitely a good writer, as is Diggle but I don't know how well he'd fit in writing Doctor Who. If they had/have Cornell involved at all, I'm happy.

I can't say I'd be thrilled to see the title go to Boom!, though publishing Doctor Who comics would probably help them financially in the long run, after losing the Disney license. And I certainly want the license to stay far, far away from Dynamite. With Dark Horse most likely losing the Star Wars license sometime next year, that might be a good place for BBC to take the TARDIS.
Old July 28 2013, 12:52 PM   #17
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I just want to see a miniseries set on Earth after VD Day where Susan is rebuilding the planet.

Seriously, if she's not careful, she'll become the new Global President.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 03:22 PM   #18
Lonemagpie
Writer

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I just want to see a miniseries set on Earth after VD Day where Susan is rebuilding the planet.
They'd really have to give that particular celebratory holiday a different name...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 05:57 PM   #19
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
They'd really have to give that particular celebratory holiday a different name...
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 02:24 PM   #20
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Bleeding Cool says Titan has picked up the license. Also, BC believes that Titan, unlike IDW, will be able to distribute their Doctor Who comics in the UK.

However, BC is wrong when they say that they broke the news that the BBC and IDW were parting ways. IDW did that themselves in the press release, and I'd make the initial post here, pointing out the relevant passages, before BC made their post with the news. So, if you were reading here, you knew before BC's readers did.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 08:10 PM   #21
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Bleeding Cool says Titan has picked up the license. Also, BC believes that Titan, unlike IDW, will be able to distribute their Doctor Who comics in the UK.

However, BC is wrong when they say that they broke the news that the BBC and IDW were parting ways. IDW did that themselves in the press release, and I'd make the initial post here, pointing out the relevant passages, before BC made their post with the news. So, if you were reading here, you knew before BC's readers did.
If Titan's got it, I'm glad that at least it didn't go to some of the other options.

But what does this mean for US distribution. Titan's very much a niche publisher over here.
Old August 9 2013, 09:22 PM   #22
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
If Titan's got it, I'm glad that at least it didn't go to some of the other options.

But what does this mean for US distribution. Titan's very much a niche publisher over here.
In the comic market, they have the same access as IDW did; a store that was carrying IDW's output will be able to get Titan's books just as easily. They don't have much a book market presence, however, so I don't know how visible the collected editions will be outside of comic shops.

allyngibson.net
Old August 13 2013, 06:13 PM   #23
Lonemagpie
Writer

oooh, interesting

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 08:12 PM   #24
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

The part that I'm curious about is the UK distribution, because that has implications in several different directions.

Panini's license is the reason IDW couldn't distribute in the UK; they held the UK comics rights for Doctor Who and were able to block IDW from the UK. (I've heard that IDW didn't realize this when they picked up the license, that they believed they had bought worldwide comics rights to Doctor Who. I don't quite believe that, though, as Panini and IDW worked together on Doctor Who Classics, with Panini providing IDW with the cleaned-up, remastered pages. If Panini were being a stickler in one area, why be cooperative in other areas?)

So, I see three possibilities if Titan is able to distribute Doctor Who comics in the UK.

One, Titan's comics won't be considered an infringement on Panini's license. (Doctor Who Adventures and Doctor Who Battles In Time, even though they publish comics like Doctor Who Magazine and neither is published by Panini, are allowed through some loophole.)

Two, Titan is paying Panini for a sublicense.

Or three, Panini won't be publishing a Doctor Who comic strip after the end of this year because their comic strip license has expired.

No, I don't know which one of these is the most likely. I don't find the second very likely at all; that would only increase Titan's cost of doing business. The third, if true, would pose all sorts of questions about the future of Doctor Who Magazine, questions that have been asked for much of the spring and summer.

allyngibson.net
Old August 16 2013, 02:29 PM   #25
ATimson
Rear Admiral

In the comic market, they have the same access as IDW did; a store that was carrying IDW's output will be able to get Titan's books just as easily. They don't have much a book market presence, however, so I don't know how visible the collected editions will be outside of comic shops.
It seems to me that Titan's novels (they were the publisher of the Terminator: Salvation tie-ins, for example) have reasonable bookstore presence. I think they'll be fine there.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 02:49 PM   #26
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
It seems to me that Titan's novels (they were the publisher of the Terminator: Salvation tie-ins, for example) have reasonable bookstore presence. I think they'll be fine there.
Oh, that's true. Their Sherlock Holmes novels are readily available in B&N every time I go in. I hadn't considered that. I was just going on what I've seen on the graphic novel racks.

allyngibson.net
Old December 8 2013, 02:03 AM   #27
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

I was wondering, did I miss anything or hasn't there actually been an announcement of new DW comics from Titan, yet? I mean, it's December, IDW is finishing its run, I thought at least there should have been an announcement from Titan.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 03:14 AM   #28
The Wormhole
Admiral

No, no announcements yet from Titan. But all that means is that there won't be anything in January or February.
Old December 8 2013, 07:47 PM   #29
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

What I'm hearing, Kai Kringle, is that they can't announce it until IDW's license is concluded.

I'm expecting an announcement in the early part of the year with a launch, probably, in August/September, to coincide with Capaldi's series.

allyngibson.net
Old December 8 2013, 09:02 PM   #30
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

What I'm hearing, Kai Kringle, is that they can't announce it until IDW's license is concluded.
Ah. That kinda makes some sense. Thanks.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote