Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 10 2013, 08:37 PM   #91
BennieGamali
Lieutenant Commander

Re: JJverse converts

There are a lot of kids and young people who love classics and TV series from long before they were born. I'm 25 and I love black and white movies, my fave being Sunset Boulevard. I think most kids would love Charlie Chaplin, and I think a lot of kids would enjoy the old Dr.Who series.

A lot of Americans wont watch foreign movies for some reason, I gues there's something of the same reason for it. Most kids don't understand the old movies, they don't get the humour or the cultural significance of what is actually happening in the movie. If you don't understand what is going on the movie seems silly or boring. It's quite interesting to read American reviews of Norwegian movies for example. There is a lot of misinterpretations and the result is that the reviewer thinks the movie is lame. I had a lot of fun reading about "Dead Snow" aka "Død snø". It's a comedy but a lot of Americans had thought it was meant to be a horror movie. Two of them mentioned a scene where a bunch of Zombies rush towards two of teh main characters and a song starts to play, they said the song didn't fit with what was happening. To Norwegians it's hilarious because this is a song everybody knows. We sing it when drunk in the summer and it goes "What a lovely day. Oh my god what a lovely day."
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Roy Batty
BennieGamali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 01:45 AM   #92
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Re: JJverse converts

Shawnster wrote: View Post
Why is it that my generation could enjoy movies and TV from my parents and grandparents generation, yet my kids (and future grandkids) turn their noses up and what I enjoyed and grew up with?
That's a great question. I wish I knew what the answer was.

Born in '82 here, so I fall right in the gray area of not quite a Gen X'er but also I'm very much not a "millennial". I think it helps that my father was born in '47 so he was a little bit older than many other friend's parents.

I know I've always been drawn to '60s shows (likely due to my love of TOS from a very young age), as soon as I could watch Nick at Nite shows like Dragnet and Get Smart I drank them in. I also love some '50s shows such as Leave it to Beaver and I Love Lucy, so color is not necessary for me either.

To this day I enjoy local digital broadcast retro channels like Antenna TV and MeTV.

Back on the initial topic of the thread, I keep hoping I can use the JJ'verse stuff to convert a few people, as yet it hasn't quite worked.

My young brother-in-law who's 10 years old (my wife's father remarried and started a second family), just called Insurrection "old Star Trek" when it came on cable the other week. It made my heart hurt a little bit, since it was made in 1998 and there had been 30+ years of Trek already at that point, so from that perspective Insurrection seems relatively new in my book.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote