Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old August 16 2013, 01:25 AM   #136
CaptainBearclaw
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Official Deleted/Alternate Material Thread

trevanian said:
That's seriously interesting. So they have footage of Spiner on a partial set backed with bluescreen, along with physical pyro going on?

Yeah, he's on the Costeau set. A window blows out at some point. There's even a temporary effect for him beaming out.
CaptainBearclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 02:52 AM   #137
CaptainBearclaw
Lieutenant Commander

For those interested, a picture of the original Kirk/David fight from TWOK is in the Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan movie magazine from 1982. Kirk is on the floor, and David is standing over him with a knife.

Just thought I'd mention it. The magazine itself is cool as well. There's cast interviews ad even some storyboards and production photos. Good read, try to pick it up.
Old August 20 2013, 03:49 PM   #138
Maab
Lieutenant Commander

CaptainBearclaw wrote: View Post
For those interested, a picture of the original Kirk/David fight from TWOK is in the Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan movie magazine from 1982. Kirk is on the floor, and David is standing over him with a knife.
Is it this picture?

In the already mentioned Star Blazer magazine there is also a behind the scene.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_of7mShM5N1...aved_st_05.jpg

Maab
Maab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 07:14 PM   #139
Grant
Fleet Captain

Maab wrote: View Post
CaptainBearclaw wrote: View Post
Is it this picture?

In the already mentioned Star Blazer magazine there is also a behind the scene.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_of7mShM5N1...aved_st_05.jpg

Maab

There were several photos of cut scenes from TWOK that appeared in vintage 1982 era magazines like Fantastic Films and Cinefantastique that I never saw anywhere else including McCoy working on Chekov's ear and Chekov waking up and demanding to to be able to go to the bridge--both were during the part where Ent is heading into the nebula for the final battle. i never saw these photos again sadly after losing those magazines to a water leak.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 08:00 PM   #140
Maab
Lieutenant Commander

Grant wrote: View Post
There were several photos of cut scenes from TWOK that appeared in vintage 1982 era magazines like Fantastic Films and Cinefantastique that I never saw anywhere else including McCoy working on Chekov's ear and Chekov waking up and demanding to to be able to go to the bridge--both were during the part where Ent is heading into the nebula for the final battle. i never saw these photos again sadly after losing those magazines to a water leak.
Here they are:

(I couldn't do a proper scan of this one)

Maab
Old August 20 2013, 08:12 PM   #141
Grant
Fleet Captain

Here they are:

(I couldn't do a proper scan of this one)

Maab
Outstanding!!

Well don't be coy, I'm betting that that card collection has other rare scenes included.

Example: there was a photo of Kirk actually wearing the glasses in his appt and reading the Romulan Ale bottle label. Is that in the set?
Old August 20 2013, 10:38 PM   #142
Maab
Lieutenant Commander

Outstanding!!

Example: there was a photo of Kirk actually wearing the glasses in his appt and reading the Romulan Ale bottle label.
You mean this one?

As you can see it's from another set.
The playing cards set doesn't seem to have any other particularly interesting picture. See for yourself.

Except for the Kirstie Alley publicity shots on Genesis cave which I have only seen in these cards set.

Maab
Old August 20 2013, 11:18 PM   #143
CaptainBearclaw
Lieutenant Commander

Wow, never seen these pictures before. It was a much wider shot, and Kirk and David were looking each other in the eye. There was also a black and white shot, but they were still upright, and Kirk was trying to misdirect his knife.
Old August 20 2013, 11:53 PM   #144
Grant
Fleet Captain

Wow, Maab, great finds!

Since TWOK doesn't really have too many 'deleted scenes', but a lot of scenes where portions were cut--it is extremely hard to say 'this shot was cut' or 'that shot was cut'---- from a still photo, but the stills you posted are great evidence that they WERE shot for those who haven't seen the workprint.

For the record, neither of the two McCoy/Chekov scene in sickbay were in the workprint--indicating the were very early cuts as they slowed down the pace of the final battle.

The part where Kirk tries on the glasses WAS in the workprint, along with the first two scenes of the child, but NOT the one where he is next to the Genesis device.

Since I grow more pesimistic every year, about paramount releasing any deleted scenes from these movies--it is great to see these brief clips and the various stills from the original movies.

My most desired scene from TSFS was a fairly long (Page and a half) scene between McCoy and Kirk in the turbo-lift with McCoy wearing his white med smock for the only time in that movie. A still of the scene was posted in the 'theater program' they sold in the theater opening night.

After having seen the workprint for TWOK my obsession now is a little more pointed at TSFS and TUC missing scenes.

Still hoping we'll get lucky for the next releases....
Old August 21 2013, 12:41 AM   #145
CaptainBearclaw
Lieutenant Commander

God I wish the TWOK workprint would just leak!! My thirst is growing!
Old August 21 2013, 01:05 AM   #146
dub
Fleet Captain

This is been my favorite thread since joining the board! Awesome stuff!
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2013, 01:05 AM   #147
Maab
Lieutenant Commander

My most desired scene from TSFS was a fairly long (Page and a half) scene between McCoy and Kirk in the turbo-lift with McCoy wearing his white med smock for the only time in that movie. A still of the scene was posted in the 'theater program' they sold in the theater opening night.
OK, you won me with this one. I've never seen a picture of TSFS with McCoy wearing the white med smock.

Are you sure it isn't this one?

There is one TSFS theater program for sale on Ebay, and most of the pages are shown, but no sign of this picture.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exc-Official...item4175fa02ce

This is the comic adaptation of the deleted scene (with McCoy wearing the white med smock.

Anyway, I don't think they'll ever release any other deleted scene beyond what was already released. The movies were released in DVD, DVD special editions and Blu-ray. I'm afraid that's all.

Maab
Old August 21 2013, 01:46 AM   #148
CaptainBearclaw
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, the comic wasn't always reliable in terms of uniforms anyway (the crew changes into their uniforms spontaneously between panels!) but the scene seems to have been shot with McCoy in his duty uniform. It does make more sense. If he's insane at this point, why change into different clothes when he's in the cabin?

I do want to see this scene, though. I have no doubt it was in the original preview. Along with the restructuring.
Old August 21 2013, 03:14 AM   #149
Grant
Fleet Captain

OK, you won me with this one. I've never seen a picture of TSFS with McCoy wearing the white med smock.

Are you sure it isn't this one?

There is one TSFS theater program for sale on Ebay, and most of the pages are shown, but no sign of this picture.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exc-Official...item4175fa02ce

This is the comic adaptation of the deleted scene (with McCoy wearing the white med smock.

Anyway, I don't think they'll ever release any other deleted scene beyond what was already released. The movies were released in DVD, DVD special editions and Blu-ray. I'm afraid that's all.

Maab
Yep, that scene from the comic is the scene in question and i remember the photo for sure because at one point i owned both the comic and the movie program and for sure it was McCoy wearing the white smock while standing in the turbo-lift---which he never wore in the turbo-lift in any other movie.

It seemed very clear it was from that scene because it sure was funny and memorable to see him with a 48 hour growth of beard in a full page photo in a movie program--as he still wore in the "Spock's quarters scene later in the movie, although back in his familiar red uniform.

And sadly, i agree Paramount is probably way too lazy and cynical to ever dig in their vaults for the deleted stuff as an extra.

Most folks will have to settle for stills, short clips, script excerps, and even pictures of comic adaptations!

But seeing the workprint of TWOK only has heightened my desire to see the other cut scenes from the other 2 movies with a larger portion of cut stuff.

From meticulous counting of lines from the scripts and comparing it to the DVDs I concluded that TWOK, TSFS and TUC all had about 300-320 cut lines of dialogue. Each line of dialogue averages about 3 seconds of screen time.

Therefore I calculated the those 3 movies had 900 seconds (15 Minutes) of cut dialogue sequences.
My formula panned out when i saw the workprint for TWOK.

So if every filmed but cut line was back in--those 3 movies would each be about 15 minutes longer than their current longest cut.

Deleted scenes sections for those movies would obviously NOT contain every single cut line--only the sections that would be feasible/interesting to show--I think about 8-10 minutes.

TVH and TFF each had about 110 lines of dialogue cut. meaning only about 5-6 minutes longer.

Of course dialogue cut totals don't include scenes of action such as all the cut 'battle/action' scenes cut from TFF. But i am way more interested in seeing the character interaction stuff than Sybok's troops overwhelm Paradise city.

Seeing the original cast acting in those familar parts one last time was, for me, a very exciting experience regardless if the scenes were better left out or not.

I will hold out hope till the bitter end for seeing these scenes.

Last edited by Grant; August 21 2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old August 21 2013, 03:35 AM   #150
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

I am really enjoying this thread too but sometimes it makes me sad at scenes they cut.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote