Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 11 2013, 08:19 PM   #16
Shanndee
Commodore

Re: Laser vision correction

I am starting to seriously consider it. I am now wearing progressive lenses, and I am having a devil of a time focussing properly to read. I can get the distance and mid range with no problem, but reading takes time to focus and find the right area to be looking through.

...and my prescription keeps changing. I'll have to suffer through with this current one for awhile yet.

Anyway. The idea of getting my distance vision laser corrected and then only wearing reading glasses when necessary is getting more and more attractive.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 10:54 PM   #17
Kitty Worrier
Rear Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
It's been something I've also been meaning to do, but have just never got around to. Heck I've had glasses as long as I can remember so it's not even a liability to me. Contacts just sucked... I hated how they dried my eyes out every day and I wanted to gouge them out. The contacts anyways.
I have allergies and was taking medicine for them, so I stopped wearing my contacts for about a year. Made my eyes so dry and uncomfortable that my doctor said to wear them only every other day.

I'm starting to wear them again, and they still get dry before the work day is done, so I have to douse my eyes in drops lest I gouge out the contacts, haha.
Kitty Worrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 01:25 AM   #18
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Does anyone know sort of ballpark figures for such surgeries? I'm sure that answer will come up if I ever decide to pursue it, but I'm not sure what the normal range would be.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 05:56 AM   #19
propita
Rear Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Yeah, I've worn glasses since 2nd grade, so it's like they're part of me and how I look. I've never had any interest in contacts or having lasers shot into my eyes. I suppose I'd consider it if my vision got a lot worse, but I'm happy to be a four eyes.
Ha! I had a picture taken without my glasses...my Mom(!) asked, "Who's that?"
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 06:37 AM   #20
Captain Ice
Baseball Fan

Unicron wrote: View Post
Does anyone know sort of ballpark figures for such surgeries? I'm sure that answer will come up if I ever decide to pursue it, but I'm not sure what the normal range would be.
Have to admit that I am wondering the same thing since I am thinking about having it done this year.

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Captain Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 09:32 AM   #21
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

propita wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Yeah, I've worn glasses since 2nd grade, so it's like they're part of me and how I look. I've never had any interest in contacts or having lasers shot into my eyes. I suppose I'd consider it if my vision got a lot worse, but I'm happy to be a four eyes.
Ha! I had a picture taken without my glasses...my Mom(!) asked, "Who's that?"
Same here. And people say it wouldn't work for Clark Kent.
Old August 12 2013, 09:58 AM   #22
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

I've thought about it. I asked my mum about it, as she had around 10 years ago. Still thinking about it, as alternative to contracts.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 11:02 AM   #23
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Best money I ever spent.
Old August 12 2013, 03:38 PM   #24
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I had Laser Correction surgery a little over a year ago, after wearing glasses for 30 plus years I was just done. I can say without any hesitation it was one of the best things I have ever done. I had very poor eyesight and a stigmatism, and now I have 20-15 vision. I see way better then I ever did with glasses. Like many others I was very sensitive about my eyes, I also couldn't wear contacts. After the surgery, my vision was perfect yet still a little fuzzy. That only lasted a few hours, I had a bit of dryness and that only lasted a few days. Outside of that, no issues what so ever. Yes, on super sunny days its a bit more intense but I just wear sunglasses. I have had no issue at night with headlights and night driving.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 09:31 PM   #25
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

I had it done back in 2001. I was 20/400 in one eye and 20/200 with astigmatism in the other eye. The doctors told me beforehand that, because of my age (41 at the time), I would more than likely need reading glasses later. Sure enough, when I hit 50 I needed readers, but having to wear glasses only when reading is a small price to pay for not having to wear glasses every waking moment.
Old August 12 2013, 09:47 PM   #26
B.J.
Rear Admiral

My brother-in-law had worn glasses all his life until a few years ago. Had the laser surgery done so that he doesn't have to wear glasses anymore, and it's also signed off by the USAF (he's a full-time officer) so that he could now be a pilot if he so wanted.
Old August 14 2013, 03:18 AM   #27
Brolan
Commodore

Good friend of mine had the surgery and it messed up the quality of his vision. He says it's like looking through dirty windows. They can't do anything for him.

I was going to have it done before he had his, now I wouldn't dream of it.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 03:32 AM   #28
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Just out of curiosity, has anyone on the board used and had good results?
I'm not an Optometrist on the board but I play one in real life and I still wear my glasses and contacts. That said, I did send my brother to a surgeon I really like and he couldn't be happier with the outcome.

The vast majority of LASIK recipients end up quite happy with the results. Of those that are unhappy, most of the complaints are fairly minor (dryness, light sensitivity, halos and glare while driving at night). So there's that.

For me, if your eyes meet the structural requirements to proceed, the most important things are:

1. Your age (I'm much more hesitant when people reach their late 30's and beyond as the procedure can push many people in to reading glasses sooner. And spending thousands of dollars so you don't have to wear glasses, only to need glasses soon after can be a bad use of money. The alternative is something called monovision, which would allow distance and near vision without correction, but can wreck depth perception)
2. Your occupation (guys who need really fine detail are often less happy with results)
3. Your current prescription (if you're aware)
4. Your hobbies

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Is there a chance you might develop cataracts in the near future? When I was having cataract surgery last year I was told that it was more difficult to get an accurate measurement for a new synthetic lens on patients with previous laser correction.
The real reason that would be an issue for Unicorn would be because when we implant that artificial lens we can do so with prescription built in to it, so if he was planning on cataract surgery in the near future there's really no reason to perform an additional surgery. Any additional complications are really a minor issue.

I think we can assume that's not the case, as I have a hard time believing his doctor would have recommended LASIK in advance of an upcoming cataract surgery.

Does anyone know sort of ballpark figures for such surgeries?
Normally you're looking in the $2,000-$5,000 range. I caution you to look at the quality of your surgeon and not just on who is the cheapest.

The other thing to be aware of is that there's often quite a bit of follow-up involved in the process and some plans will have those visits included in the initial fee. It's worth knowing what your program will cover, as some that look cheaper might end up costing more in the long run.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 12:58 AM   #29
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

I appreciate the advice. Perhaps you could help with something else I'm curious about as well, although it's something I've tended to experience rarely. I haven't really mentioned it for that reason when I've gotten eye exams, and when I last had an ophthalmological exam they said my retinas were fine. But under certain circumstances, sometimes I experience an oddness when my eyes track motion. I'd describe it as watching something and imagining it as individual frames of film, and every so often the frames don't run together in a smooth animation. They look blockier, like when you see an infomercial that's been badly edited and has a shaky camera. But it's pretty rare, I'm just not sure what causes it. I've noticed mainly if I'm watching TV and there's a broad horizontal pan, and it doesn't always happen.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 03:11 AM   #30
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I used to wake up every morning to putting my glasses on and not taking them off until I went to bed (barring showers and what not) as I could only see clearly a few inches ahead. It's great to go see 3D movies, ride roller coasters, fall asleep in chairs and go swimming without bother. Contacts help some in that regard but I've enjoyed it for years now.

My vision isn't quite what it was with glasses, I have trouble with small text off in the distance more than I used to but it's still been pretty great. Unlike others, my light sensitivity has gone way down, I used to be blinded when the lights came on in the middle of the night or walking out of a theatre.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote