RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,680
Members: 24,828
Currently online: 394
Newest member: DimeRhyme

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 15 2013, 11:12 PM   #1
Mr Light
Admiral

Starting Breaking Bad (NO SPOILERS!)

PLEASE, NO SPOILERS FOR THE SERIES!

After hearing the final batch of episodes was starting, and that all previous episodes were on Netflix, and that I was home alone for a week.... I decided to try and marathon through the series before my DVR fills up!

So far I'm two episodes into the second season. It's a pretty good show, though I wish it had more black humor like Dexter. I like Dexter. I find it a little slow... but it's interesting.

And the gimmick of Malcolm's Dad as a dying drug maker is just too hilarious to pass up

I'm really curious to see where the story goes. Is there going to be a different rival drug lord each season or what? No spoilers please!

I'm in a rare condition where I know absolutely nothing whatsoever about this series, about where it goes, or who lives or dies, so it's nice to be able to marathon through a pre-existing show without knowing anything in advance!

What are your NON-SPOILER thoughts on this show?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 11:15 PM   #2
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Re: Starting Breaking Bad (NO SPOILERS!)

Oh, just give it a little time. Soon enough you won't think it's a little slow at all.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 11:16 PM   #3
davejames
Vice Admiral

I think the show's got a decent amount of black humor, but it's definitely a very different tone and style than Dexter.

The good news is that, unlike Dexter, the writing in Breaking Bad stays consistently strong all the way through.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 11:36 PM   #4
Mr Light
Admiral

Hey, The Mayor from Buffy showed up! Hopefully he's a recur.

I like these kind of morally ambiguous shows, but it's important for me that the "hero" does horrible things for a noble reason. Like in The Shield or Dexter. I could never enjoy Sopranos because the "heroes" were no better than the "bad guys", they had no morality. So in addition to just making money for his family, I'd love to see Walter work with the DEA to take down other drug lords or something like that.

I found Dexter to be pretty good throughout. The only season I hated was Season Two. The British chick annoyed the hell out of me, I couldn't stand Doakes, and I didn't like Dexter's thing about pretending to be a druggie or whatever. While some years are better than other, I've found everything after S3 to be good. Though S4 was the best with Lithgow.

Old August 16 2013, 12:07 AM   #5
Mr Light
Admiral

I also hope that he brings his wife into it really soon, because this whole lying to her about where he's going has already gotten extremely old (I'm on 204).

Old August 16 2013, 12:41 AM   #6
davejames
Vice Admiral

Sounds like it may just not be your kinda show. With Walter, it's not so much about finding him likeable or redeemable, but just about finding him extremely compelling to watch-- and seeing what he'll do, or how far he'll take things, or how he'll get out of any situation.

Even when he's doing very selfish or evil things, he still remains very believable and human, which is I think the most important thing.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 01:12 AM   #7
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm also hoping that Jesse becomes more responsible and professional (for a drug dealer) because right now I seriously can't stand him and want to fast-forward through his solo scenes...

Old August 16 2013, 01:52 AM   #8
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

You'll enjoy Jesse much more as a character later.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 03:38 AM   #9
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

This show takes the characters on journeys, for sure. Even ones who seem rather static at the beginning, like Hank, go through some very interesting changes due to the events they find themselves in. The writing is consistently strong, and the cinematography is amazingly creative.

As Walt crosses more moral lines, you will find yourself not wanting to cheer him on. This is good - accept it.
Old August 16 2013, 04:07 AM   #10
Mr Light
Admiral

So what is the meaning of the name "Breaking Bad"? I have no clue.

Old August 16 2013, 04:09 AM   #11
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

It's an expression--it's literally someone throwing away a good, "respectable" life to do something criminal and immoral. Walter is breaking bad.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 09:29 AM   #12
Pingfah
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post

I like these kind of morally ambiguous shows, but it's important for me that the "hero" does horrible things for a noble reason. Like in The Shield or Dexter. I could never enjoy Sopranos because the "heroes" were no better than the "bad guys", they had no morality. So in addition to just making money for his family, I'd love to see Walter work with the DEA to take down other drug lords or something like that

You won't enjoy it if you have expectations of it. This show never does what you think it will, and rarely what you want it to.
Old August 16 2013, 10:40 AM   #13
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

I like these kind of morally ambiguous shows, but it's important for me that the "hero" does horrible things for a noble reason. Like in The Shield or Dexter. I could never enjoy Sopranos because the "heroes" were no better than the "bad guys", they had no morality. So in addition to just making money for his family, I'd love to see Walter work with the DEA to take down other drug lords or something like that.
As others have hinted, this is not that kind of show. Creator Vince Gilligan developed the character of Walter White with the intention of exploring a very specific kind of dramatic arc, and what you suggest would muddy it. You'll have a better ride if you go in without expectations.

Also,
Old August 16 2013, 03:01 PM   #14
cultcross
Say my name...

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
As others have hinted, this is not that kind of show. Creator Vince Gilligan developed the character of Walter White with the intention of exploring a very specific kind of dramatic arc, and what you suggest would muddy it. You'll have a better ride if you go in without expectations.

Also,
This. It is worth remembering, if you're looking for morally upstanding or at least broadly redeemable characters, that there is more to the show than Walter himself. I can't say much more without spoiling later plot developments. Breaking Bad has a rare, perhaps unique approach which is quite different to Dexter and its ilk. It's not an anti-hero show. The title of the show is very appropriate.
Old August 16 2013, 05:53 PM   #15
Tom
Rear Admiral

Also, there is much more comedic elements in season 1 and 2 then the latter seasons, things get more compelling the deeper you go.