Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 15 2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Terran
Ensign

Follow up for 'The 37's'

Does anyone else think it would have been nice to have a novel which explores the Federation making contact with the planet from Voyager's episode 'the 37's' after Voyager returns home?

Would be nice to explore the history with the Briori, and for the Federation to have a presence deep within the Delta Quadrant.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 09:48 PM   #2
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: Follow up for 'The 37's'

Hopefully that will eventually happen in the Full Circle series.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Relayer1
Commodore

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
Hopefully that will eventually happen in the Full Circle series.
It would be bizarre if they didn't. It's a ready made base of operations in the quadrant and reasonably easily reachable by slipstream...
Old August 17 2013, 12:17 AM   #4
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

I've been wondering about them too.
Pondwater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 01:33 AM   #5
tomswift2002
Captain

I've always wondered what happened to that back-firing truck that made Tuvok almost vaporize the shuttle bay door!
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 08:50 PM   #6
E-DUB
Captain

And are the Briori still out there? Sure the "37's" took care of the ones on that planet but where are they from? And what about the race that took the human slaves from that western town on ENT?
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Markonian
Captain

E-DUB wrote: View Post
And are the Briori still out there? Sure the "37's" took care of the ones on that planet but where are they from? And what about the race that took the Human slaves from that western town on ENT?
Those who took the Wild Westerners were the Skagarans, not the Briori.
Old August 17 2013, 09:38 PM   #8
Christopher
Writer

^E-DUB wasn't saying they were the same race, just curious to know more about them as well as about the Briori.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 10:53 AM   #9
Markonian
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
^E-DUB wasn't saying they were the same race, just curious to know more about them as well as about the Briori.
I missread. Sorry, E-DUB!

As far as I know, the Briori are still a blank slate in ST media. We know more about the Skagarans, e.g. what they look like and that the Federation has contact to them in the 23rd century.
Old August 18 2013, 04:41 PM   #10
E-DUB
Captain

Actually it probably should have been the same group from the beginning. For some reason I find it easier to believe that one group would raid Earth for slaves twice rather than two groups doing it once.

(Anybody want to work the lost colony at Jamestown into the mix?)

And Markonian, what do you mean about contact with the Skagarans in the 23dr century? Did I miss something?
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 05:08 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

Actually it probably should have been the same group from the beginning. For some reason I find it easier to believe that one group would raid Earth for slaves twice rather than two groups doing it once.
Except that they were from opposite ends of the galaxy. Although I guess that's just as much a problem if they both came to Earth. Then again, Earth seems to attract a lot of cosmic attention.

(Anybody want to work the lost colony at Jamestown into the mix?)
Please, no. There's no mystery there. The early English settlers were chosen more for political reasons than for their survival skills, and knew practically nothing about farming, so a lot of the early colonies suffered from famine and only survived with abundant help from the indigenous peoples. Some settlements, like Roanoke (which must be what you're thinking of, since Jamestown wasn't "lost"), didn't survive at all, and the colonists had to abandon their settlements and get adopted into the indigenous communities, where they interbred with the natives, producing descendants who identified themselves as indigenous American rather than English.

And Markonian, what do you mean about contact with the Skagarans in the 23dr century? Did I miss something?
Memory Beta says there's a Star Trek Online mission set in 2265 wherein Scotty mentions Skagaran whiskey. That may be what he's thinking of.

Old August 18 2013, 05:53 PM   #12
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

In the Star Trek universe, the lost early English colony was Jamestown, as established by New Worlds, New Civilizations.
Old August 18 2013, 06:08 PM   #13
Terran
Ensign

And are the Briori still out there? Sure the "37's" took care of the ones on that planet but where are they from? And what about the race that took the human slaves from that western town on ENT?
I'm sure they are still around. In the episode IIRC the humans who are shooting at Tuvok and his security team are surprised to find most of the crew are human not Briori, which surely suggests they are still around?
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 06:36 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
In the Star Trek universe, the lost early English colony was Jamestown, as established by New Worlds, New Civilizations.
I found the reference in NW,NC, and the article writer just makes a passing mention of the name "Jamestown" surfacing in his memory as an "ancient" lost colony. There's no mention of the writer following up on the recollection and verifying its accuracy. So it's not evidence of the history of the Trek universe, it's just evidence of the article writer's subjective impressions. Real journalists and historians make mistakes all the time, which is why one of the first things I learned when pursuing a history major was that every source needs to be read critically and questioned. Surely fictional journalists are just as capable of error.

Old August 18 2013, 09:14 PM   #15
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Surely the Federation News Service employs fact-checkers? (In fact, fact-checking should be trivially easy with the level of AI we see in the Federation.) "Jamestown" is in the title of the article!