Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 13 2013, 10:14 PM   #91
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Tom wrote: View Post
I wonder when the tracer was put on Walt's car, I ask because we know he made a trip to Saul's to get the 5 mill then to Jesse's to give it back to him. So does Hank know he went to Jesse's place I wonder.
It might not have been placed there until Walt got back home. But if it was placed there earlier, then Hank's gonna know about Jessie and Saul (though Saul pretty much has little to worry about with respect to getting caught up in the web).

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
gblews wrote: View Post
I was a little disappointed that the confrontation came so quickly. I envisioned more of a cat and mouse game where Hank knows or strongly suspects Walt's involvement and proceeds with a clandestne investigation while Walt suspects Hank knows and adds heading Hank off at every pass, to his juggling act.
I'm actually glad that the confrontation came so early because I envisioned the same thing. One of the great things about Breaking Bad is that they ying when we expect them to yang. Like what they did with Tuco. I was expecting him to be the antagonist for the second season but he was killed off two episodes in, which allowed season 2 to develop in unexpected ways. A similar thing happened with the cousins in season 3. It's why I was actually a little disappointed that season 4 dragged out the Gus conflict the whole season. (Although, it was still an amazing season of television.)
See, part of it was that I thought the first confrontation should have been bigger, epic even. It wasn't though, It seemed sort of "small". Hank gets angry, punches Walt in the nose, calls him an S.O.B., accuses Walt of bad stuff we know Walt did. The whole thing is over in seconds.

That's why I was hoping for a build up. Their confrontation should have been epic and "epic" requires some build up. Hank carries on his behind the scenes I/V never fully believing, but suspecting, it's Walt.

Finally discovers "smoking gun" type evidence and it points to a guy Hank has lured to a secluded area. Hank alone approaches, gets closer, his worst fears begin to materialize -- until finally...yeah, the notorious drug kingpin, Hisenberg, who has eluded the DEA for over a year is the guy Hank has thought of as a brother for 20 years or so. Hank reacts.

To me, this (or something like this), would have been more satisfying. But this is not to say that I didn't like what we did get. It's just that it left me a little disappointed.
By putting the Walt/Hank confrontation in the first episode, my conception of how the season would play out has been shattered. I have no idea now how things with Hank will play out now, and I'm more excited than ever to find out.
Yeah, this.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 11:42 PM   #92
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
If Walt wanted to commit suicide, he'd be able to come up with quicker more painless ways to do it than ricin. I got the impression he wanted the M16 just for general on the run self protection.
It's not an M16, it's an M60, the belt-fed machine gun of Vietnam fame. It's a large and bulky weapon, generally operated by a team of two in service. For one person to operate effectively it pretty much needs to be in a fixed position, and Walt is not exactly Rambo. The implication to me is Walt would use it for defense of a "dug in" position, or a surprise assault on some hardened or well-defended target.
Oh, then it's totally for a cartel that's threatening his family.

I think Hank's idea is that he's not going to be taken seriously without hard proof Walter is Heisenberg. And he also thinks he'll be taken off the case if he hasn't already done all the work. Before he asks for a warrant he wants to know specifically what he'll find with it.

I'm glad they didn't drag out the confrontation just because that's what most TV shows would do and it makes me more excited that Breaking Bad is doing something different. Also I'm not sure they could justify it in character. Hank's not a good enough liar/actor the way Walt is to not tip his hand in front of Walt, and Walt's too sharp not to notice the way Hank is behaving. It would not have made sense for the confrontation not to happen.

Last edited by JirinPanthosa; August 13 2013 at 11:55 PM.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 01:22 AM   #93
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Chuck Finley wrote: View Post
I
A significant amount of time would have to pass for a house to be in that bad of shape. I'm thinking maybe a year or two.
The opening of the season showed Walter celebrating his 52nd birthday in a diner. Since he just celebrated 51 recently, it indicates just one year has passed.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 01:47 AM   #94
Mojochi
Commodore

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
I agree, revenge isn't Walt's style. Every single murder he's committed has been a pragmatic murder. Maybe he would kill Hank if it would legally protect him and his family, but he wouldn't do it just because he's pissed.
I think Mike would disagree.
But Mike wasn't a revenge kill. Mike was a flying off the handle kill, an emotional outburst of the most violent kind. As brilliant & calculating as Walt is, he's also a slave to his emotional instability. Walt is a loose cannon. That's why Gus wanted him out of the picture, even more than he wanted Jesse out of it. As much of a loose cannon as Jesse is, Walt is atomic in comparison

You know who else is a loose cannon?..... H a n k. For all the talk about how in some way or another this situation could ruin Hank in the DEA (& it could even come to that) I truly expect that Hank couldn't give one single shit about that at all

From that conversation, it is clear that problem #1 is he will now have tunnel vision for Walt, which is certainly unsure territory to be treading like a bull moose, hence, Walt's comment, a purposeful intention, and even with as much as Hanks's learned about him... He's right. He has no idea who Walt is. That's problem #2. Problem #3 is that if Hank ever wants to come at Walt right. He can't go it alone, to be sure. Now's not the time to make it personal

Clearly, there's been some time passage in the forward, wherein Hank has yet to get him one way or the other. One thing is certain. That factor works in favor of Walt. When he's desperate & given time to plan. He comes up with some left field doozies.

I'm just sitting back & waiting to see which loose cannon gets off the last shot. The odds on favorite is undoubtedly Walt, but I'm an underdog man myself & that is without question, Jesse, who wouldn't surprise me at this point if he killed Walt in a murder/suicide, for all his self loathing
Mojochi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 01:48 AM   #95
davejames
Vice Admiral

I'm glad they didn't drag out the confrontation just because that's what most TV shows would do and it makes me more excited that Breaking Bad is doing something different. Also I'm not sure they could justify it in character. Hank's not a good enough liar/actor the way Walt is to not tip his hand in front of Walt, and Walt's too sharp not to notice the way Hank is behaving. It would not have made sense for the confrontation not to happen.
Agreed. Hank's always been one to wear his emotions on his sleeve, and whenever he does try to hold something in (such as the panic attacks he had after the Tuco shooting), it's pretty plainly obvious that something is troubling him.

Walt would have picked up on that immediately.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 03:46 AM   #96
Chuck Finley
Commander

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Chuck Finley wrote: View Post
I
A significant amount of time would have to pass for a house to be in that bad of shape. I'm thinking maybe a year or two.
The opening of the season showed Walter celebrating his 52nd birthday in a diner. Since he just celebrated 51 recently, it indicates just one year has passed.
Yeah, I forgot about that. I guess a year would be enough time.
Chuck Finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 09:50 AM   #97
Seven of Five
Commodore

Scotty beaming Chekov's guts into space sounds like a perfect idea for the next film. Hilarious!

I'm so happy to see Breaking Bad back, but it means that there isn't much time till we say goodbye to our characters. I suppose that Hank and Walt's confrontation happening now was a clever move to ensure we have no idea where things will go. Walt warning Hank to tread lightly was a very tense way to end the episode, so now I'm gagging for more.

I wonder too who it was Walt was protecting himself from in the opener. Is it Hank? Jesse? Scotty?
Old August 14 2013, 10:28 AM   #98
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Rob Lowe.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 09:09 PM   #99
Seven of Five
Commodore

Old August 14 2013, 10:08 PM   #100
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

If Walt kills Rob Lowe Franklin and Bash will defend him.
Old August 14 2013, 10:48 PM   #101
davejames
Vice Admiral

Seven of Five wrote: View Post
I'm so happy to see Breaking Bad back, but it means that there isn't much time till we say goodbye to our characters. I suppose that Hank and Walt's confrontation happening now was a clever move to ensure we have no idea where things will go. Walt warning Hank to tread lightly was a very tense way to end the episode, so now I'm gagging for more.
Yeah, it clearly shows that the BB writers have a much greater imagination than us, and that there are probably going to be a lot more moving parts and unexpected twists than we were expecting.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 01:29 AM   #102
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah, it clearly shows that the BB writers have a much greater imagination than us, and that there are probably going to be a lot more moving parts and unexpected twists than we were expecting.
Or it ends with Walt and Jesse loading up to assault Madrigal, Walt turns to Jesse and says "let's do this" followed by a fade to black
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 05:35 AM   #103
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I was thinking that the ricin might be intended for Walt himself. Though considering the symptoms, I doubt if that would be his preferred form of suicide. Still a thought though. I could see him setting up some kind of last-stand, relying on the ricing as a suicide pill or something.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 05:53 AM   #104
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

"Take the pill or I'll cut your legs off with bullets."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 02:07 PM   #105
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
See, part of it was that I thought the first confrontation should have been bigger, epic even. It wasn't though, It seemed sort of "small". Hank gets angry, punches Walt in the nose, calls him an S.O.B., accuses Walt of bad stuff we know Walt did. The whole thing is over in seconds.
I see where you're coming from. I doubt this will be the only confrontation between Walt and Hank this season though, this was just a preliminary confrontation. I imagine there's going to be a pretty explosive showdown between the two before the season is out. And knowing Walt's track record, it might literally be explosive.

I wonder too who it was Walt was protecting himself from in the opener. Is it Hank? Jesse? Scotty?
The best theory I've read is that Jesse gets kidnapped by Lydia's cohorts and is forced to cook for them. The finale sees Walt attempting to rescue Jesse in one final redemptive act.