A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 14 2013, 03:47 PM   #16
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Let it die with what little dignity it had left.

The new time line is perfectly fine, and ongoing for now, after that we'll get another one.
Old August 14 2013, 04:08 PM   #17
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Beyerstein wrote: View Post
I'm just mostly wondering since they just rated Star Trek Into Darkness the worst of all the Trek movies at the Vegas con.
I didn't like the last two Trek films, but I want another Kirk/Spock reboot. A good one.

And I hate the term "prime universe," because it implies everything before produced under the name "Star Trek," from TOS to the movies to the Berman-era spinoffs are one cohesive unit that neatly fits together. They aren't, and they don't. The first Star Trek reboot was the original movie series.
Old August 14 2013, 04:42 PM   #18
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

I think the OP needs to define what having the prime timeline "back" would entail. Would it mean tossing out the JJ stuff? Having both coexist? Wrapping up the JJ stuff properly but then switching back to prime for whatever the next live action Trek project is? Etc.

Do I love the prime universe? Sure. But I also love the JJ stuff and wouldn't want to sacrifice it. I'd be cool with both running alongside each other, but I don't think that would work for mainstream audiences or for Paramount. And as others have said, there's no shortage of comics/games/books set in the Prime timeline.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 04:49 PM   #19
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

To put things in perspective, thousands of people attended the Las Vegas convention. This poll questioned 100 people . . . out of at least 15,000 attendees.

Talk about statistically insignificant! I'd hesitate to draw any grand conclusions on what "the fans" want from a sampling of 100 people at one Trek convention . . . especially when the audience for the Star Trek shows and movies numbers in the millions.

And, no, the old timeline isn't coming back . . . except in the novels, of course.
Old August 14 2013, 04:50 PM   #20
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
But I think the majority of people don't care what universe Trek is as long as it entertains them.
Applies to me.

In that capacity, they have no more preference to the Abramsverse than they do to the prime universe and would be totally okay if Trek was all rebooted again in several years.
Only partially applies.

Since i've never found anything JJ Abrams has done entertaining - ever - I'd prefer to see either a reversion to the old timeline or a reboot by somebody else. Anybody else.

I fear for the Star Wars franchise...

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 05:38 PM   #21
Gojira
Commodore

I enjoy the the new time line and would like to see it continue. I also have no problem with bringing the old time line back either. I am flexible.
Old August 14 2013, 06:15 PM   #22
Tracer Bullet
Lieutenant

Where does this idea come from that the "Prime Universe" would mean stilted storytelling, etc? It's a setting, just like the JJverse. A creative and talented showrunner with a creative and talented writing staff will get great stories out of either one. Do another jump, into the 25th Century, or do another prequel, or whatever.

If we ever get another TV show it will most likely be in the "Prime Universe" unless CBS decides to reboot or do their own split timeline. We're not getting a TV show in the JJverse since Paramount owns those rights. It's always possible that that will change, though.
Old August 14 2013, 06:29 PM   #23
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I doubt we'll ever see the old timeline onscreen again. When has a popular media franchise EVER gone back to a discarded continuity after rebooting itself? I mean, does anybody expect the Batman movies to go back to the Burton/Schumacher timeline now that Nolan's trilogy is over? Or maybe even back to the Adam West era?

That's not how it works.
Old August 14 2013, 06:35 PM   #24
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I would prefer the prime universe to return to tv or movies. Why can't there be both? As for the new fans of the last two movies are they fans at our level or just interested as long as they get diverting movies?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 06:41 PM   #25
dansigal
Commander

I feel like these discussions always turn into "what's most likely" or "what's commercially viable" which is all well and good, but simply answer the question what do I want as a fan...I would LOVE for the prime universe to come back in some kind of shape or form other than the books (which I love and am grateful for). That being said, I'm not holding my breath.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 06:48 PM   #26
Tracer Bullet
Lieutenant

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
I would prefer the prime universe to return to tv or movies. Why can't there be both? As for the new fans of the last two movies are they fans at our level or just interested as long as they get diverting movies?
I hear a lot about new fans but from the ones I heard from/talked to at Vegas con last weekend, fans that got into Trek via the JJ movies go back and watch all the shows and movies and become big fans. Of course, take that with a grain of salt, we are talking about people that will shell out money to spend 4 days at a convention.
Old August 14 2013, 06:51 PM   #27
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I think it's a mistake to assume that there's no overlap between those camps. And that anyone who likes the reboot is somehow less of a fan. Some long-time fans like the new movies. Some like them less, but it's not like there's a higher "level" of fan who only likes the old stuff . . . and that only callow newbies like the new stuff.

Let's be honest. There's no such thing as "what the fans want." As this board proves every day, we're an opinionated and argumentative bunch. Expecting "the fans" to agree on anything is like expecting tribbles to practice birth control.
Old August 14 2013, 07:05 PM   #28
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

I would prefer the prime universe to return to tv or movies. Why can't there be both?
To quote from a famous cult movie of the 1980s, there can only be one. And that one will (if there's ever a new TV show-but with regards to the current head of CBS, I'm not holding my breath) most likely be based the the Abramsverse, since it's the most successful one.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 07:10 PM   #29
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
I would prefer the prime universe to return to tv or movies. Why can't there be both?
To quote from a famous cult movie of the 1980's, there can only be one.
Old August 14 2013, 07:14 PM   #30
billcosby
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
That's not how it works.
I had to laugh at the matter-of-factness to it all.
I think we need a video with Doc Brown explaining all of this on a chalkboard!

Anyway, seems as if you're right. I can't recall a franchise rebooting and then reneging on said reboot. We'll see. But as time goes on it seems likely that we'll see more rebooting so close to each others' release.

The Hulk really floors me. I think filmmakers took it to set a precedent that audiences really don't care if a reboot happens shortly after the dust settles from a previous one.

Although I'm amazed that the BSG reboot film was shelved because of too much sci-fi going on. When is sci-fi scheduled to decline enough to let NuBSG2 in? With Disney mass producing Star Wars like a factory will it ever be the right time for that? I find it more likely they couldn't make it 'work' on paper quite yet. NuBSG excelled at focusing the bewilderment left in the wake of 911. But that's a fading memory.

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
And I hate the term "prime universe," because it implies everything before produced under the name "Star Trek," from TOS to the movies to the Berman-era spinoffs are one cohesive unit that neatly fits together. They aren't, and they don't. The first Star Trek reboot was the original movie series.
Well... I would agree that at many times the 5 series' don't fit together, I can't discount Paramount's attempt to try to take it into consideration. Wasn't that the reason we have tech manuals and chronologies in the first place - they were put together to assist the production crews with continuity.

I also dislike the term 'Prime' Universe. It makes me think of Optimus Prime overlording in that universe. They should have reserved it for the inevitable Trek/Transformers crossover reboot!!

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote