Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 14 2013, 04:19 AM   #16
Ktrek
Captain

Re: Print-on-demand retrospective TOS book forthcoming

Steve Roby wrote: View Post
Just got my shipping notification. I hope it's worth the price.
Steve, you and I have been collecting Star Trek books for a lot of years and with all that we own I think this is going to be one of my favorites. I'm not far into it but it is extremely well written and contains a lot of detail. I will be ordering the other two volumes for sure. If the other two volumes are as good this will be one of the best TOS reference books ever produced. If this was pitched to Pocket Books they were fools to let this one get away.

Kevin
Old August 14 2013, 04:36 AM   #17
Ktrek
Captain

Looks like the publication dates for the other two volmes has been pushed back and spread out a little more.

These are the Voyages, TOS, Season Two - Currently scheduled for publication in November 2013

These are the Voyages, TOS, Season Three - Currently scheduled for publication in January 2014

Easier on the pocketbook but I was hoping that they would be finished by November. Oh well....

Kevin
Old August 14 2013, 06:39 AM   #18
otomo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ktrek, I haven't done a lot of star trek reading about the history of the show or anything like that, but you sound like you've read a lot in that regard. Does the information seem pretty accurate? I'm considering picking the book up.
otomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 02:21 PM   #19
Ktrek
Captain

otomo wrote: View Post
Ktrek, I haven't done a lot of star trek reading about the history of the show or anything like that, but you sound like you've read a lot in that regard. Does the information seem pretty accurate? I'm considering picking the book up.
It does seem pretty accurate and very well written. The book has a bibliography and index at the back for easy reference. The pictures used are pretty much ones you can find anywhere on the net, and they are black and white. However, the pictures are a pretty small part of the book as the book is large with small print. So a lot of information crammed into this volume. I'm glad I bought it because there are facts I never knew before in it's contents.

Kevin
Old August 14 2013, 05:00 PM   #20
otomo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ktrek wrote: View Post

It does seem pretty accurate and very well written. The book has a bibliography and index at the back for easy reference. The pictures used are pretty much ones you can find anywhere on the net, and they are black and white. However, the pictures are a pretty small part of the book as the book is large with small print. So a lot of information crammed into this volume. I'm glad I bought it because there are facts I never knew before in it's contents.

Kevin
Cool, that sounds like a pretty glowing recommendation. I'll check it out.
otomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 05:58 PM   #21
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

... the book is large with small print. So a lot of information crammed into this volume. I'm glad I bought it because there are facts I never knew before in it's contents.
How small? I'm not buying a book that requires a magnifying glass to read (I have poor vision).

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 11:10 PM   #22
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

If this was pitched to Pocket Books they were fools to let this one get away.
Pocket Books are publishers of highly-commercial books. This three-part, detailed tome sounds like it's for more avid collectors/readers.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 11:58 PM   #23
Daddy Todd
Captain

Currently on page 75, and Shatner has just appeared in the narrative. This is crazy detailed.

Completely professional writing and presentation - no obvious typos, and only one case of wrong word usage ("gambit" instead of "gamut"). I'm impressed
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 04:30 AM   #24
Ktrek
Captain

Timewalker wrote: View Post
How small? I'm not buying a book that requires a magnifying glass to read (I have poor vision).
Let's just say the size of the book and the print are comparable to many college textbooks. Larger font than the average Trek fiction book and so if you have no problem reading them this should be a breeze. I have 57 year old eyes and bifocals and I find the text comfortable. The dimension of the book is 10.5 inches by 7.25 by 1.5 and is 580 pages long. Does that help?

Kevin
Old August 15 2013, 04:43 AM   #25
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Yes, thanks. I'm 50 and about to get bifocals, so it helps to know that the book will be usable.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 11:54 PM   #26
Daddy Todd
Captain

OK, now THIS is interesting. There's a list of story assignments made during Season One. It includes a number that were abandoned and never produced (at least, not under the given name).

So, in some alternate universe, TOS Season One included:
Warrior's World by Stephen Kandel
The Machine That Went Too Far by A.E. van Vogt
Chicago II by George Clayton Johnson (an early attempt at A Piece of the Action?)
Alien Spirit by Norman Katkov
Untitled by Jack Guss (I'm willing to bet that wouldn't have been the final title)
Journey to Reolite by Alfred Brenner
Rites of Fertility by Robert Sheckley
From The First Day To The Last by John D.F. Black
Sisters in Space by Robert Sheckley
Portrait in Black and White by Barry Trivers
Rock-a-Bye Baby or Die! by George Clayton Johnson
The Squaw by Shimon Wincelberg
Accident of Love by Allen Balter & William Woodfield
Dreadnaught by Alf Harris & Jeeli Jacobs
World of Warriors/Tomorrow the Universe by Paul Schneider(another attempt at Kandel's earlier Warrior's World?)

In all, there were 45 assignments handed out for the 29 episodes produced in Season One (several stories turned up in later seasons, like The Omega Glory, Amok Time and Friday's Child)
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 12:22 AM   #27
Christopher
Writer

Interesting that The Laertian Gamble wasn't Robert Sheckley's first brush with Trek. It was great the way TOS recruited big-name prose SF authors to write episodes. I wonder why hardly anyone ever does that anymore. I guess because TV shows these days are generally so staff-driven. And it does sometimes happen to some degree; Stargate Universe had John Scalzi as its science consultant, though I don't think he ever wrote an episode.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 12:55 AM   #28
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
I wonder why hardly anyone ever does that anymore. I guess because TV shows these days are generally so staff-driven. e.
Not exactly a Sci-fi author but the closest example I can think of is Neil Gaiman writing for Doctor Who.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 01:29 AM   #29
Harvey
Admiral

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post
OK, now THIS is interesting. There's a list of story assignments made during Season One. It includes a number that were abandoned and never produced (at least, not under the given name).

Chicago II by George Clayton Johnson (an early attempt at A Piece of the Action?)
Untitled by Jack Guss (I'm willing to bet that wouldn't have been the final title)
World of Warriors/Tomorrow the Universe by Paul Schneider(another attempt at Kandel's earlier Warrior's World?)

In all, there were 45 assignments handed out for the 29 episodes produced in Season One (several stories turned up in later seasons, like The Omega Glory, Amok Time and Friday's Child)
From The First Day to the Last was the title of John D.F. Black's version of the envelope for the first pilot. Credit for the final episode went to WGA arbitration; Black didn't submit a statement (believing the script drafts stood for themselves) and was denied credit.

Probably in the book, but thought it was worth pointing out.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 03:47 PM   #30
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post

Wow!

I wish they'd made some of these.

Rock-a-bye Baby or Die

Christopher wrote: View Post
Interesting that The Laertian Gamble wasn't Robert Sheckley's first brush with Trek. It was great the way TOS recruited big-name prose SF authors to write episodes. I wonder why hardly anyone ever does that anymore. I guess because TV shows these days are generally so staff-driven. And it does sometimes happen to some degree; Stargate Universe had John Scalzi as its science consultant, though I don't think he ever wrote an episode.
I wish they did
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote