Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 11 2013, 06:51 PM   #916
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
She's a very pretty girl.
From the right angle, yes. That's certainly one of the right angles, though.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 07:08 PM   #917
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

gerbil wrote: View Post
The cover of Cinefex makes me wonder if it's the refit model. It might be trick of the lens, but the deflector dish looks noticeably smaller.
I've got a new iPad background!
Old August 11 2013, 07:11 PM   #918
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Now that's a beautiful shot.

So the docking domes are designated, "A" and "B" showing, so 6 per dome, 36 docking ports. Even the interior of the old Spacedock didn't look like it could hold anywhere near that many.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 08:28 PM   #919
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
ATimson wrote: View Post
Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
Which leads me to wonder if the refit version will have a redesigned bridge in the next movie, something with a two-level effect kind of like alternate timeline Yesterday's Enterprise bridge (or Voyager, for that matter) with the big window running from a sunken floor all the way to the ceiling.
If they do, I wonder how many people will rag on them for "suddenly" changing like that (instead of after the refit), despite the same thing happening to the -A between TVH and TFF.
No, that's not a valid comparison. Nowhere in Trek history has there been a "two-level" starship bridge -- the Enterprise-D really wasn't two levels, but rather just sloped.
It was in Yesterday's Enteprrise. So were the bridges of the Enterprise-C, the Hathaway and the Stargazer. USS Voyager is the most dramatic by far; the upper level is a good three feet higher than the lower level and Tom's helm station is basically a hole in the ground. And though it's not a starship, the DS9 Ops deck actually made this concept explicit, placing the commander's office high above the rest of the floor "so subordinates have to look up with respect."

If they break from tradition that much...
"Tradition" my ass. Star Trek is a science fiction show, not a ritualized religion.

The simple and familiar round bridge structure is most definitely a Trek trademark.
So is Shatner's acting and lame forehead aliens. Never EVER sacrifice coolness for familiarity.
Old August 11 2013, 08:36 PM   #920
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
They actually "cheated" a bit and used the new model to represent the old ship in one of the "zoom in" scenes before the Vengeance encounter, thinking (correctly) that nobody would notice.

Which leads me to wonder if the refit version will have a redesigned bridge in the next movie, something with a two-level effect kind of like alternate timeline Yesterday's Enterprise bridge (or Voyager, for that matter) with the big window running from a sunken floor all the way to the ceiling.
As said several pages ago, it's just a model with more detail around the bridge window, and whose window frame dimenions exactly match the set for compositing (the lower-detail model's window is the correct width but a little too short). It wasn't made for the refit, but was actually first seen in the 2009 movie when Pike, Kirk and Sulu head for the shuttlebay.
No, the proportions from the 2009 version were different from the one we see in the asteroid scene, as are some of the other details. There are other visual cues in that specific momentarily-visible model that are consistent with the refit version seen only at the end of the movie; its lines don't fit any other appearance of the ship throughout the movie.

As I said weeks ago, it's probably a cinematography thing: they couldn't get that shot to work right with the original proportions and they built a new model with slightly different proportions to make those shots work correctly. If there's one thing the ILM team has been consistent about in both movies, it's that they tend to consider all their FX shots from a cameraman's point of view, not from a technical one: their sense of aesthetics never ceases to trump design logic if ever the two come in conflict.
Old August 11 2013, 08:39 PM   #921
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

It was in Yesterday's Enteprrise. So were the bridges of the Enterprise-C, the Hathaway and the Stargazer. USS Voyager is the most dramatic by far; the upper level is a good three feet higher than the lower level and Tom's helm station is basically a hole in the ground. And though it's not a starship, the DS9 Ops deck actually made this concept explicit, placing the commander's office high above the rest of the floor "so subordinates have to look up with respect."
I'd also say the bridge of the original Enterprise had two levels.
Old August 12 2013, 02:15 AM   #922
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

ATimson wrote: View Post
Kruezerman wrote: View Post
She's a very pretty girl.
From the right angle, yes. That's certainly one of the right angles, though.
I don't like all angles of the new Enterprise, but that's the same for all Enterprises except the Constitution-refit. In this case, that was a beautiful angle. I think it looks worst from the top, actually.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 03:28 AM   #923
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

So that's the Cinefex cover I didn't get. :-(

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 10:39 AM   #924
Belz...
Fleet Captain

James wrote: View Post
It's pretty obvious there are two Enterprises
No, it's actually rather obvious some people don't _want_ the Enterprise to be larger than the TOS version, for some reason. As if it was vitally important to maintain the Trek universe in one piece or something. It can't be that, mind you, because as you've pointed out already, it's just fiction. Right ?

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 11:23 AM   #925
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I think it's fair to say some fans' ideas are somewhat crystalized. They see a shape that looks like what their old size comparison charts say is 300m and so this new one MUST be that same size, despite those who made it explaining how they enlarged it and why, and us pointing out how all the details (bridge window, airlocks, shuttlebay, dome etc etc) are all scaled to that larger size.
Old August 12 2013, 01:00 PM   #926
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post

So the docking domes are designated, "A" and "B" showing, so 6 per dome, 36 docking ports. Even the interior of the old Spacedock didn't look like it could hold anywhere near that many.
Seven ports per dome. Not six.

You'll note that with Dome "B", the numbering on the ports starts at "0", and on "A" it ends at "6".

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 02:23 PM   #927
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

DEWLine wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post

Seven ports per dome. Not six.

You'll note that with Dome "B", the numbering on the ports starts at "0", and on "A" it ends at "6".
Allowing it to carry at least a 42 ship armada when fully docked, the Sol System actually feels busy for once.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 04:09 PM   #928
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Just came across this on Youtube. It's the Starship Vessel Simulator from the 2009 movie's Bluray. Not having the BR, it was my first time seeing it. Beautiful (not to mention big) ship.
Old August 14 2013, 04:19 PM   #929
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

I found it a few weeks ago, very nicely done and I'm hoping they'll be something similar on the Into Darkness bluray sets.
Old August 14 2013, 05:09 PM   #930
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

My God that's a big ship.

Beautiful girl.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote