Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 13 2013, 10:38 PM   #76
Nacluv
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Was Beverly a waste of space?

IzzyatWarp9 wrote: View Post
what was up with her treatment of Data??
That's the only thing I dislike (sometimes hate) with Pulaski. But I think she redeemed herself concerning that facet in Peak Performance.
Nacluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 02:12 AM   #77
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Eh, I thought she was rather condescending to Data in that episode too. Maybe with good intentions this time, but no less so.
Old August 14 2013, 02:32 AM   #78
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Beverly can waste my space anytime she likes.
Old August 15 2013, 02:34 AM   #79
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Melakon wrote: View Post
Beverly can waste my space anytime she likes.
Ew
Old August 15 2013, 06:02 PM   #80
ajac09
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Liked her better then the season 2 doctor for sure!
ajac09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:32 PM   #81
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

Beverly wasn't particularly lively or funny like The Doctor or McCoy. Even Bashir had more excitement. But for a ship of families, she was okay. I think that she and Picard had good chemistry with one another. I wanted them to get together right from the get go.

Also...definitely not a waste of space. Every ship needs a doctor!!

Pulaski, even though a weird Season 2 thing for no apparent reason...had a little bit more of a funnier, sarcastic, and edgy personality. I did not like her initial treatment of Data though. Of course that was rectified by the end of the season anyway.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 04:36 PM   #82
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

R. Star wrote: View Post
Eh, I thought she was rather condescending to Data in that episode too. Maybe with good intentions this time, but no less so.
Pulaski was condescending to Data towards the whole first part of the season.

I didn't get why her name was not on the main credits during that season...she was in a lot of episodes, almost the same as Crusher might have been. I didn't really get it.

But yeah as for the way she acted towards Data at first...that is why she turned me off. But she seemed to have rectified that towards the end.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 05:51 PM   #83
Pavonis
Commodore

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
I didn't get why her name was not on the main credits during that season...she was in a lot of episodes, almost the same as Crusher might have been. I didn't really get it.
Because Diana Muldaur didn't want to be listed in the main credits. It was negotiated into her contract, and probably was influenced by her pay. I won't pretend to understand the intricacies of Hollywood actor pay negotiations and billing, but that's how I understand the situation.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 05:59 PM   #84
MacLeod
Admiral

Well the best places to be in the main credits on the TV show is of course at the start, bonus points if it's before the title card. Another good place is right at the end with words like 'and' or 'with' preceeding your name. Much like what happened to Michaeal Shanks when he returned to SG-1 after his year away.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 06:03 PM   #85
Lance
Commodore

I wouldn't say Crusher is a waste of space 'in-universe'. But narratively she serves no function in the TNG movies, so in those she is indeed basically irrelevant. But she wouldn't be alone there.

I'd say her best schtick was always her relationship to Picard. She arguably knew the Captain better than anybody else onboard and this gave their chemisty a bit of zest. As ship's doctor though she was merely competent. She did her job well but without the flair of, say, Bones McCoy. The little character tics they did give her, like running the onboard theater company or being a good dancer, often felt a little weak compared to the dominant traits most of the other characters possessed.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:18 AM   #86
Dream
Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Because Diana Muldaur didn't want to be listed in the main credits. It was negotiated into her contract, and probably was influenced by her pay. I won't pretend to understand the intricacies of Hollywood actor pay negotiations and billing, but that's how I understand the situation.
Diana Muldaur was also paid more than certain main cast members in season 2, which I can imagine pissed off some of them.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 01:02 AM   #87
jpv2000
Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
Diana Muldaur was also paid more than certain main cast members in season 2, which I can imagine pissed off some of them.
Yeah, I could easily see that happening.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 03:42 AM   #88
Makarov
Captain

I kinda think that woman who was the judge in Measure of Man had more chemistry with Picard than Crusher.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 04:08 AM   #89
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Billing is contractually negotiated. Since Muldaur came aboard a season in, everyone else's position in the opening credits was likely long since settled, and best she could have hoped for would be to be added as the last actor credit in the sequence. This is why Jonathan Harris is the last actor in Lost In Space's titles, and why he's listed as "Special Guest Star" to make him stand out.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 03:15 AM   #90
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

The sequence was alphabetical after Frakes, and names were easily extracted when Crosby and Wheaton left...and reinserted when McFadden came back.
The Old Building & Loan is offline   Reply With Quote