Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 12 2013, 06:29 PM   #31
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Re: Should the Winter Olympics be moved?

They would get punished by the IOC and the national federations I think.

eta: and very few athletes can afford simply not to participate assuming they have a chance to do well. The amount of money you can win at the Olympics (+ads afterwards) in luge or nordic combine or curling is probably higher by a factor of 10 or 100 compared to what you earn in between the Olympics...
Old August 12 2013, 06:57 PM   #32
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Instead of boycotting them, the gay athletes should just pull a Jesse Owens and win. That's the ultimate way of saying that everyone's equal. Russia's not going to arrest foreign competitors at the Olympics no matter what they say or do.
Old August 12 2013, 07:10 PM   #33
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I don't disagree with the thought, but unfortunately there aren't many openly gay athletes, and especially not many that are easily recognised as gay who could win (outside of male figure skating maybe).

Ideally there would be a flamboyantly gay Russian who wins a gold medal, but that's probably wishful thinking.
Old August 13 2013, 05:24 PM   #34
B.J.
Rear Admiral

There is no way that the Olympics could be moved at this point. I lived in Atlanta through the 1996 Olympics, and it took the city YEARS to prepare for it, building up all the infrastructure and the event locations. Even if somehow Sochi got wiped off the map tomorrow, nobody else would be able to handle hosting the Olympics.

As for a boycott, that really only hurts the boycotting nations, especially their athletes, who have trained for years and may not get another chance. 1980 and 1984 proved that one.

There's also a problem with the athletes themselves protesting by wearing rainbow flags or whatever - they would likely get disqualified and banned from participating in the games, since one of the IOC's rules for the athletes is that they can't display/promote/whatever any political position.

If the IOC really wanted to punish Russia for their policy (and I reeeeeally doubt this would ever happen), they could ban them from participating in their own games. That would be extremely embarrassing for Russia, puts the right kind of pressure on them, and is really the only workable solution. But as I said, highly unlikely.
Old August 13 2013, 05:58 PM   #35
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

^Your solution is an interesting one. It embarrasses the host nation and prevents them from the prestige of having medal winners. Also hits them in the pocket book from a local interest and endorsement perspective. But I wonder how many athletes on Team Russia have any sway on national politics.

It's one of those dilemmas where there's no good way to punish/protest something without adversely impacting those with nothing to do with it.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 07:21 PM   #36
MacLeod
Admiral

B.J. wrote: View Post
There is no way that the Olympics could be moved at this point. I lived in Atlanta through the 1996 Olympics, and it took the city YEARS to prepare for it, building up all the infrastructure and the event locations. Even if somehow Sochi got wiped off the map tomorrow, nobody else would be able to handle hosting the Olympics.

As for a boycott, that really only hurts the boycotting nations, especially their athletes, who have trained for years and may not get another chance. 1980 and 1984 proved that one.

There's also a problem with the athletes themselves protesting by wearing rainbow flags or whatever - they would likely get disqualified and banned from participating in the games, since one of the IOC's rules for the athletes is that they can't display/promote/whatever any political position.
They have in the past such at the 1968 Mexico City Games. But of course they were expelled from games. But that was in part to the protest being more about a national protest (to events in the USA) rather than a protest about an International events. But the games are supposed to be non-political.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 09:10 PM   #37
Danny99
Vice Admiral

B.J. wrote: View Post

If the IOC really wanted to punish Russia for their policy (and I reeeeeally doubt this would ever happen), they could ban them from participating in their own games. That would be extremely embarrassing for Russia, puts the right kind of pressure on them, and is really the only workable solution. But as I said, highly unlikely.
Even though I doubt it changes Russian minds (probably pushes them more into an isolationist attitude), I like this idea. It's the only feasible way the IOC can take a stand.

But just wait for those protests...
Old August 13 2013, 09:15 PM   #38
Garak
Talk to me, like lovers do

I'd like them to come back to Vancouver but that's a logistical impossibility.

I like the suggestion above of the gay athletes going all Jesse Owens on the Russians.
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote