Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 13 2013, 06:38 PM   #91
Christopher
Writer

Re: MYTHBUSTERS 10th Anniversary Season

This episode didn't do much for me, since I'm not familiar with Breaking Bad and it doesn't strike me as something I'd want to watch. (Can someone please parse the title for me? I can't make heads or tails of it.)

And in general I'm getting a bit tired of these cross-promotion episodes. I don't mind when they test myths from TV shows or movies, but actually having the producers or stars come on and say "Well, you busted my myth but it still works because weasel this and hedge that" gets kind of irritating. When the Mythbusters say it's busted, it's busted, dang it! And it's their show!

Mainly I'm surprised that the larger quantity of fulminate was able to blow apart the whole "house" they built. I would've thought that a bunch of chemical explosive just sitting there on the floor without containment wouldn't have been that powerful. But I guess a brick of C4 is able to do a great deal of damage without containment, so I guess I didn't think it through.

I was also surprised that Grant needed to build a whole new throwing robot. Whatever happened to the sword-swinging rig? Has it been modified and reused so many times that it finally failed?

The clip from the show didn't make any sense to me at all. The main character throws an explosive right at his own feet, it's powerful enough to blow out the windows, but he's completely unharmed? I don't need the Mythbusters to tell me that's nonsense.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 06:54 PM   #92
davejames
Vice Admiral

I share your distaste for these crossover shows, but I wouldn't let the clips shown here dissuade you from at least checking out Breaking Bad. It's an excellent show with memorable characters and the kind of original premise you don't find much on TV. And it's one of the few shows that follows through on the consequences of every action the characters take, which is exciting to watch.

And the title just refers to when someone "breaks bad" and starts becoming a criminal.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 08:20 PM   #93
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
I share your distaste for these crossover shows, but I wouldn't let the clips shown here dissuade you from at least checking out Breaking Bad. It's an excellent show with memorable characters and the kind of original premise you don't find much on TV. And it's one of the few shows that follows through on the consequences of every action the characters take, which is exciting to watch.
I caught the last minute or so of an episode once, and it involved something really gruesome involving a person who had half his head blown away, quite graphically. I really, profoundly wish I had never seen that, and you're not going to convince me to watch more of a show when the only part I have seen is one I desperately want to unsee.

And the title just refers to when someone "breaks bad" and starts becoming a criminal.
But Wikipedia quotes the creator as saying it means "to raise hell" -- although, since it's a gerund phrase, I assume he meant "raising hell." Either way, though, I don't understand the grammar of the phrase. I don't see how you can put those two words together in those forms to produce either meaning.

I just have the hardest time getting my mind around slang phrases that use adjectives as the objects of verbs. I don't understand how that's supposed to work. I've never gotten used to "my bad" -- your bad what?! And don't get me started on Syfy's slogan "Imagine Greater."

Old August 13 2013, 10:14 PM   #94
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The only thing that I want to know about the Mythbusters: When are they finally going to nuke the fridge?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 11:10 PM   #95
T J
Commodore

I'll tune in when they make that blue meth that's 99.9% pure, I want to know if it's possible. Then they can turn around and turn it over to the DEA for disposal. I just want to know it's it's actually possible like in the show.
Old August 13 2013, 11:18 PM   #96
Christopher
Writer

^Whether they turn it in or not, they can't do something that's actually illegal, as I assume manufacturing methamphetamines would be. Consider how in their tests of drunk-driving myths, they always stay just below the legal limit. And they don't drive over the speed limit on public roads. Sometimes they can get special dispensation under proper supervision, or by going to a location where it's legal, but this? I don't see that happening. And if they wouldn't tell us what the "special sauce" was that boosted the sulfuric acid, no way would they do a "Hey, kids, here's how you make meth!" segment. So much of it would have to be blurred and censored that there'd be little point.

(I do wonder about the "special sauce," although maybe I shouldn't ask. Jamie said it was basically hydrogen and oxygen, but... isn't that water?)

Old August 13 2013, 11:27 PM   #97
T J
Commodore

Very understandable! They could just say mix "beep" and "beep", cook and done. Buy yeah, no way it can happen, it would be cool though. Just another thing in the show I bet is bunk... no such thing as pure blue meth. It would be a cool episode though.
Old August 13 2013, 11:34 PM   #98
UssGlenn
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
(I do wonder about the "special sauce," although maybe I shouldn't ask. Jamie said it was basically hydrogen and oxygen, but... isn't that water?)
It was probably Hydrogen peroxide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piranha_solution
Old August 14 2013, 12:00 AM   #99
Shurik
Fleet Captain

UssGlenn wrote: View Post
It was probably Hydrogen peroxide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piranha_solution
Sounds about right, it did look like what large quantity of Piranha solution might do. I worked with it a couple of times in lab during my undergrad studies, really nasty and dangerous stuff because the reaction releases a lot of heat.
Old August 14 2013, 12:05 AM   #100
Christopher
Writer

Oh, duhh. I should've thought of that. Been too long since high-school chemistry.

Old August 14 2013, 12:58 AM   #101
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I didn't even seen the Breaking Bad episode because my DVR did not see it fit to record it.
Old August 14 2013, 01:17 AM   #102
Redfern
Commodore

Did I miss a new episode of MythBusters?

If so, when did it air?

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 01:19 AM   #103
Christopher
Writer

Yes; last night at 10 PM Eastern.

Old August 14 2013, 01:50 AM   #104
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah my DirectTV recorder didn't pick it up either. I had to program it manually.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 08:20 PM   #105
publiusr
Commodore

Painting with explosives: I always liked this myth
I seem to remember--years back on the Discovery Channel--microchip components being glued together. Now most people use a wavy line of glue on the back of tile--and after years of wear, you can see the hump of the line of adhesive.

But a clear square of material was shown to go on top of an asterisk/plus sign configuration, and the glue evened out to form a perfect square--with little or no run-over!

So I'm thinking a 3D asterisk shaped charge might do the trick

The rubber like explosive was interesting
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote