RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,892
Posts: 5,222,825
Members: 24,234
Currently online: 586
Newest member: evtclub

TrekToday headlines

De Lancie Joins Mind Puppets
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Cumberbatch One Of Time Magazine’s Most Influential
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Trek Actor Smithsonian Magazine Cover First
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Takei To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Yelchin In New Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

U.S. Rights For Pegg Comedy Secured
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 5 2013, 06:44 PM   #31
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Why don't the EMH's hands move super FAST?

Or would they have any tempature to them at all?
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 07:11 PM   #32
KaraBear
Captain
 
KaraBear's Avatar
 
Re: Why don't the EMH's hands move super FAST?

I wonder what they would feel like, would they feel like skin at all?
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 09:38 PM   #33
Third Nacelle
Captain
 
Third Nacelle's Avatar
 
Location: The Denorios Belt
Re: Why don't the EMH's hands move super FAST?

KaraBear wrote: View Post
JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
Speaking of having only one doctor... thats another reason he shouldn't have "killed" the Equinox EMH, just disabled him and reinstated his ethical sub routines.

Hmmm.

Where's the hue and cry over him killing his "brother", a "being" that was mentally savaged by his crew (as much as "our EMH was savaged by Ransom) that Janeway has to deal with over Tuvix?
I would imagine that there was only one EMH because you hope to never have to use even the one. He was designed to be used in an emergency only and for a short time. Even still his program was very large and it might be that having two of them would take up too much space
You'd think that the sort of emergency that would kill the real doctor would necessitate multiple EMHs. You wouldn't need multiple copies of the EMH program on the computer anyway, just one program projecting multiple doctors. Maybe even give the Doc the ability to fragment into two or three and then reintegrate himself back to one when the emergency is over.
...
It seems the writers wanted to make the EMH as human as possible to make him relatable to the audience, and in doing so removed most of the benefits of having a holographic doctor.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 09:42 PM   #34
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Why don't the EMH's hands move super FAST?

Not really, if they were in the AQ they could expect a replacement Doctor fairly quickly. Besides it is possible that Voyager left DSN without a full medical compliment. It was after all only supposed to be a short mission. And the ship was new so maybe all the crew hadn't yet arrived and would be picked up after the Maquis mission.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 08:33 AM   #35
Captain Rob
Commodore
 
Captain Rob's Avatar
 
Re: Why don't the EMH's hands move super FAST?

They should have created a standard generic nurse hologram to assist the EMH. The Doctor would have direct control of it and it could serve as a extra set of hands during operations. It would function just like a regular holodeck character.
__________________
Regal Entertainment Group murdered United Artists
Captain Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 01:51 PM   #36
KaraBear
Captain
 
KaraBear's Avatar
 
Re: Why don't the EMH's hands move super FAST?

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
KaraBear wrote: View Post
JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
Speaking of having only one doctor... thats another reason he shouldn't have "killed" the Equinox EMH, just disabled him and reinstated his ethical sub routines.

Hmmm.

Where's the hue and cry over him killing his "brother", a "being" that was mentally savaged by his crew (as much as "our EMH was savaged by Ransom) that Janeway has to deal with over Tuvix?
I would imagine that there was only one EMH because you hope to never have to use even the one. He was designed to be used in an emergency only and for a short time. Even still his program was very large and it might be that having two of them would take up too much space
You'd think that the sort of emergency that would kill the real doctor would necessitate multiple EMHs. You wouldn't need multiple copies of the EMH program on the computer anyway, just one program projecting multiple doctors. Maybe even give the Doc the ability to fragment into two or three and then reintegrate himself back to one when the emergency is over.
...
It seems the writers wanted to make the EMH as human as possible to make him relatable to the audience, and in doing so removed most of the benefits of having a holographic doctor.
being in the Alpha Quadrant if they lost their doctor they'd be expecting a new doctor very soon and the EMH is someting to have in between. I would also imagine that running multiple projections at once might be too much for the emitters. Sick bay is not a full holodeck
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 05:25 PM   #37
Cmdr.Druss
Lieutenant
 
Cmdr.Druss's Avatar
 
Re: Why don't the EMH's hands move super FAST?

I never understood the issue with the EMH's personality. It's there to be used in an emergency, do you really care if he introduces himself and says please or would rather he got straight on with the job and fixed the hole in your face thanks to Starfleet's engineers not investing in some fuse breakers?!
__________________
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds
Cmdr.Druss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 07:45 PM   #38
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Why don't the EMH's hands move super FAST?

I never got why they put so much consideration into reprogramming him. It was made abundantly clear he was all they had and they couldn't duplicate him. So the first thing they want to do is tinker with his program. I don't care if he's actively insulting my ancestors as long as he's patching me up too.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 01:45 PM   #39
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Why don't the EMH's hands move super FAST?

KaraBear wrote: View Post
I wonder what they would feel like, would they feel like skin at all?
They would feel like warm, silken play-doh.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 02:11 PM   #40
KaraBear
Captain
 
KaraBear's Avatar
 
Re: Why don't the EMH's hands move super FAST?

Cmdr.Druss wrote: View Post
I never understood the issue with the EMH's personality. It's there to be used in an emergency, do you really care if he introduces himself and says please or would rather he got straight on with the job and fixed the hole in your face thanks to Starfleet's engineers not investing in some fuse breakers?!
if he was only used as a short term suppliment then I don't see an issue. But in Voyager's case when he's the only doctor and there all the time, then you'd want someone with a better bedside manner
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 04:01 PM   #41
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Why don't the EMH's hands move super FAST?

Same reason the computer doesn't automatically beam stun grenades to wherever intruders appear. Rule of Drama.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 05:25 PM   #42
bbjeg
Rear Admiral
 
bbjeg's Avatar
 
Location: ˙ɐlnqǝu sıɥʇ uı ʞɔnʇS
Re: Why don't the EMH's hands move super FAST?

He's probably a perfect 98 degrees to please patients.
__________________
-Star Trek Rock Opera-
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 10:27 AM   #43
Cmdr.Druss
Lieutenant
 
Cmdr.Druss's Avatar
 
Re: Why don't the EMH's hands move super FAST?

KaraBear wrote: View Post
Cmdr.Druss wrote: View Post
I never understood the issue with the EMH's personality. It's there to be used in an emergency, do you really care if he introduces himself and says please or would rather he got straight on with the job and fixed the hole in your face thanks to Starfleet's engineers not investing in some fuse breakers?!
if he was only used as a short term suppliment then I don't see an issue. But in Voyager's case when he's the only doctor and there all the time, then you'd want someone with a better bedside manner
Voyagers case was unique though, I do agree that his personality wasn't brilliant for their circumstances but we saw the Doctor change and grow.

In the AQ though, his bad personality doesn't seem like enough of a reason to pull all the EMH Mk1's out of action, when the EMH would normally only be being used in emergency/life or death situations.

And wouldn't it be easier to rewrite a personality subroutine instead of redesigning a whole new EMH Mk2
__________________
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds
Cmdr.Druss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 10:30 AM   #44
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Why don't the EMH's hands move super FAST?

I think they should have rewritten his personality so it was exactly like Captain Janeway and then also given him Captain Janeway's hair (season 5 hair preferably).
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 02:05 PM   #45
KaraBear
Captain
 
KaraBear's Avatar
 
Re: Why don't the EMH's hands move super FAST?

teacake wrote: View Post
I think they should have rewritten his personality so it was exactly like Captain Janeway and then also given him Captain Janeway's hair (season 5 hair preferably).
yes! Bob Picardo with that hair would be awesome!
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.