X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I thought it was quite a bit more than a cameo. She was pretty much a main character and probably had more screen time than the Silver Samurai bloke who's name I've forgotten.

As for having either of both of them back in DoFP...I don't think so. At least not this time around. It's unclear at this point how much time is going to be spent with the original cast vs. the First Class actors. It's bad enough bringing Xavier back from the dead exclusively through end credit stingers (two of them no less!) but dropping a not dead, not batshit crazy and not an uncontrollably powerful Akira/Tetsuo style superbeing Jean Grey with little to no explanation would just make matters worse.

Same for Cyclops really. Yes we never actually saw him bite it and yes there wasn't a body and YES being disintegrate didn't stop them re-hiring Patrick Stewart, but come on! He's either dead or gone and if the story isn't centered around what exactly happened to him if he's not really dead or on how they're getting him back if he really was, it's best just to leave him out of it IMO.

I have to be honest, in TLS, I was more annoyed at how Rogue was handled than either Jean or Scott. I actually hope that in this film they'll have her flying and tossing people around Ms. Marvel style and I won't even care if there's no explanation! ;)

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

The only explanation that's needed is "the so-called 'cure' didn't work. People's mutant powers returned within months of them being injected."

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Oh sure, that's pretty much a given and was more or less implied right there in the film with that last shot of Magneto. No what I meant was that I'd love it if they gave Rogue the crazy super human/alien powers and I wouldn't mind if they didn't bother saying how/from whom she got them. I'm just that nostalgic for the old animated series version of her I guess. ;)

That plus I find the image of Anna Paquin flying around, picking up and thowing 50 ton robots one handed to be hilariously appealing.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Oh right. Well, even that requires little explanation. Rogue showing off, Logan looks at her and she says something like 'I've learned quite a bit since we last met.' Or even him going 'Guess a lot can happen in 10 years...'

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they brought them back at the end of the movie, then it would probably be a result of the time travel changing the timeline, which means The Phoenix wouldn't have gone out of control and wouldn't have killed Scott.

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Considering how underutilized he was in the previous films, the death of Cyclops in X3 was a mercy killing...let the guy rest in peace.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

What I hate most is that Wolverine pretty much stole Cyclops' love interest. After The Wolverine, the general audience probably mistakenly think Jean was Logan's girl.

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

9. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

How is that a mistake when that's pretty much what it is? Or is Cyclops still a romantic interest despite not even being a corpse?

10. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the issue is that the "Jean" we saw in The Wolverine seemed pretty devoted to Logan, even though the real Jean was not like that at all. I thought the film implied that the "Jean" he saw in his dreams was the real one, telepathically reaching for him from beyond the grave or something. It makes much more sense that it was simply his idealized image of Jean, in which she loves him, when the real one did no such thing.

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Maybe she put her katra in him....

12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Good one.

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

14. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

That is the second version of it I have seen. The first I found online last night as a download. It was filmed closer to the screen and is more centered. but it cuts off half way through. Even this seems to cut off. I wonder how long it really is? No point in Fox not officially releasing. It seems to be a full trailer and not a simple tease.

From what we can see, this should be the best X-men movie by far. Certainly the most dark and emotional, character based story. On top of huge scale the story hints imply.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Logan's memories of Jean in "The Wolverine" are his own personal idealized memories of her, the point in the film is that he's literally been haunted by her and what he was forced to do to her at the end of The Last Stand. He didn't suddenly take Scott's love interest because Scott wasn't there. He was being haunted by Jean and needed to find peace to get over her and move on.

Not surprisingly it's already been taken down. That's too bad. I suspect we'll get an official trailer soon enough.

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

That's right. Logan didn't wait 'til Scott was dead. Logan was doing everything he could to steal Scott's love interest from the first time they ever met. ;)

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Dirty Harry is in this???

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Tosk exactly just like in the comics. There was always a triangle of sorts between the three of them. That was explored in the films too.

19. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I never thought that was really Jean. Why would she want him to die? Its his subconscious trying to justify to himself that he would be better off dead. Because he has hurt those he gets close too. But also the hope she is on the other side waiting for him.

20. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that "Jean" is just Wolverine's guilt taking form.