Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 2 2013, 08:41 AM   #76
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Re: The Ashes 2013

I don't want to harp on about the DRS lest it come across as sour grapes or something, but good grief - that was as poor a decision as I've seen, perhaps ever but certainly in recent times. I was always under the impression that one had to actually hit the ball to be given out caught, but perhaps there's been a rule change of late that I'm not aware of. I don't particularly rate Khawaja but he was completely dudded on this occasion.

Both sides have received some really poor decisions in this series. I've never been a fan of the neutral umpire idea and the fact all but four of the so-called "elite" umpires are either Australian or English almost makes rubbish decisions inevitable.

Anyway, enough harping. Looks like we put together three decent sessions for the first time...this year, basically. Good to see Clarke give it to the doubters yet again and Smith made another good contribution. The revelation for me was Rogers' innings. I'd always thought of him as an accumulator type but that innings was almost spectacular at times.

I suppose at least Watson wasn't out lbw for once.

I hope we'll go on from here and post a really big score to finally give the bowlers something to work with. Another collapse wouldn't surprise, unfortunately.
Old August 3 2013, 08:16 AM   #77
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

No collapse for once - just more arrogance and stupidity in the use of the DRS, this time from Warner who seems to become a more complete dickhead with every passing day. Pity Smith threw away a century (almost literally) but the batting worked reasonably well for a change; at some point it would be pleasant if someone other than Clarke would stand up and take the lead role. A couple of bonus wickets at the end but we'll need to do a lot better than that tonight, the earlier the better.

Apparently weather is supposed to intervene (at Manchester? Imagine that), and of course England need do no more than draw the remaining games so they remain very much in the box seat. But it's nice to see us display some improvement after the second Test abomination.
Old August 5 2013, 12:53 PM   #78
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral

Good start. 3 gone with Pietersen just getting out and we have another DRS controversy with it. England also have no reviews left and Aust still have one after they went for a very close appear earlier in the day. Lets hope the weather stays away and there a positive result after a very tough week and a half for Australian cricket.

Edit: Went off for an early lunch due to the rain and never came back with the match abandoned. England retain the Ashes in an underwhelming way thanks to the weather. While they will be glad that their main aim was accomplished I'm sure they would have preferred it on the field surrounded by stands full of supporters. It takes some of the magic out of it of the spectacle, but that's cricket.

Anyway, England will now look towards keeping Australia winless and Australia will look towards squaring the series.

Last edited by Jon-o'-lantern; August 5 2013 at 05:06 PM.
Jon-o'-lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 08:34 AM   #79
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Disappointing, if unsurprising, end to the Test - I've an idea I read somewhere once that more days of Test cricket have been washed out at Manchester than anywhere else (even Melbourne). It was great to see us fight back so well after the abomination that was the previous Test, and it would have been good to see if we'd have been able to sustain the effort long enough to force the win.

Oh, well. There are bigger issues in life than winning / losing a few games of cricket.

England have been the better side and the result of the series reflects that. However, I reckon they're not quite as good as some people appear to believe. Vaughan's claim that they can "dominate their era" seems rather comical given their struggles against the might of New Zealand earlier this year, both away and at home. (The fact we failed to match NZ in the "make England battle" stakes is still another indictment on the current state of the game here.) Their batting isn't the force it was a couple of years ago and a few of their bowlers seem to struggle a bit when conditions don't entirely suit. But they retain the Ashes and they won't much care about the hows and whys of it all. They remain a very, very good side and have deservedly retained the urn.

Still much to play for in the next couple of Tests, for both sides. We need to sustain the renewed effort seen at Old Trafford. England will want, at the very least, to paper over some of the minor but not insignificant cracks that have appeared in the series to date. Bring it on.
Old August 7 2013, 05:19 PM   #80
picsiskvinechef
Lieutenant

I had a suspicion that the Aussies will improve. Even still, they may still square the series, but I expect England to win overall. Probably 2-1 again, as per 2005.
picsiskvinechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 11:52 AM   #81
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral

Terrible start to the innings, already 2 down for about a dozen. Again left to Clarke to try and hold the top order together. If he falls cheaply you have to question whether Australia could even get a lead given how fragile their batting has been. Maybe a bit doom and gloom after the last test, but as they say one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Edit: Clarke just got out meekly for 6. Rogers and Smith need to put on a stand here to have any hope of getting a decent first innings lead.

It wasn't Rogers and Smith, but Rogers and Watson. Watson missed out again on getting a century and apart from getting out played well to drag the game back towards Australia. Rogers also made his first test century, not very familiar with him since he's been in England, but him and Smith have been the best of the rest and it is good to see someone other than Clarke convert a start into triple figures.

Last edited by Jon-o'-lantern; August 11 2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old August 11 2013, 11:12 AM   #82
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

So day three begins with yet another utterly stupid waste of a review by an Australian player. Haddin was so obviously out it was ridiculous; why the hell he elected to review it is anyone's guess but it was complete idiocy.

Since Starc has been dumped yet again () our tail is significantly longer than it's been to date. England go back on the front foot. Hopefully we can eke out a bit of a lead and see what happens.

Kudos to Rogers for a Test century a very long time in the making, and Watson finally contributed something other than lbws and dumb reviews.

Our women are also in action today in a one-off Test against England. Hoping for more success from them.
Old August 11 2013, 01:07 PM   #83
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral

Just started to watch and I'm a bit saddened to see the Aussies are back in the field, though they have managed to get rid of Root. I was hoping that they could get something closer to 100 in terms of a lead rather than the 30-odd.

Good luck to the womens team, they are the current holders of the Ashes and World champs as well.
Old August 11 2013, 07:37 PM   #84
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Finely poised at the end of the third day.

A couple of quick wickets tomorrow morning and it's advantage Australia. Alternatively, the longer the England innings drags on, the more the momentum shifts the other way. Really couldn't call this.

If nothing else, the last test, and this one so far, has shown Australia that England are far from infallible. The return series could go either way based on what we've seen so far.
Old August 12 2013, 06:59 PM   #85
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral

Argh, another pathetic batting display by Australia to go with mostly ordinary bowling with the exception of Harris earlier. England should win this. Wish I went to bed, but congratulations to England for the fight back after losing their way in the first innings.

Any chance of getting the Southern Stars to play at the Oval? Might win one for a change.

Edit: Thankfully England just won it as it almost looked like it would go to day 5 with Australia 9 down and 80 behind. Congrats to Broad for getting 11 wickets and turning the game today from a possible Australian victory to a resounding defeat. Great work.

Last edited by Jon-o'-lantern; August 12 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old August 12 2013, 07:49 PM   #86
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Fantastic late afternoon/early evening burst from Broad and England. Completely turned the match around.

A shame for Australia tbf, I thought that they'd had the better of it up until that point. In hindsight they let the England tail-end get a few more runs than they should have but other than that, and the batting collapse, a much improved Australian performance.
Old August 13 2013, 08:56 AM   #87
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Well, that turned out pretty much exactly as I'd expected it to once the England tail got right away from us.

I'm so disappointed for Ryan Harris, who deserves much, much better than to be stuck with this rabble of a batting lineup. Lyon demonstrated he's worth persisting with as well. Rogers made a decent contribution but the rest ought to be ashamed of themselves.

A flood at The Oval or the England side having food poisoning en masse is about all that'll save us from 4-blot at this point. While that would be a bit harsh on the handful of blokes who've proved they are or may be Test cricketers at some point, 4-0 might provoke some action at Cricket Australia toward taking some steps to steer the Titanic away from the iceberg.

Or not. Hit 'n' giggle crap and sucking up to India seems to be their focus these days.

Jono wrote: View Post
Any chance of getting the Southern Stars to play at the Oval? Might win one for a change.
Sounds like a plan to me.
Old August 21 2013, 03:31 PM   #88
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral

Watson finally gets a ton. I think they said he hasn't got one since 2010. I don't think I'll ever be convinced he should be in the top order, but he has played well and deserved his ton.
Old August 22 2013, 09:47 AM   #89
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

At least he had the decency to mention how irrelevant it is now the series is lost.

Given it was a flat deck and there was some rather ordinary bowling at times, all it really proves is that he's a flat-track bully who only performs when there's no pressure. I don't rate him and I doubt I ever will.

This is a reasonable start but that's all it is. If Watson can make a score then England's lineup ought to be able to do the same.
Old August 25 2013, 07:55 PM   #90
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

447 runs on the final day. A farcical ending, but a draw was the right result. It would have been incredibly hard on Australia to lose a game that they'd tried so hard to keep going with their earlier declaration.

England never really got out of second gear in the series, and won fairly comfortably. Can't really see the return series being any different tbh.