Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 3 2013, 10:31 PM   #406
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen In 2013

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox - DVD
Before Sunrise - Encore on Demand
The Way, Way Back - free admission
Turbo 2D - free admission
The Smurfs 2 3D - free admission

First "new to me" movie of the month is the latest from DC Animation. Peeved off at this one quite a bit, though, because it didn't show how Flash changed history and the character design. What the hell was up with that extra jawline that Aquaman had goin' on?

The story was interestin', though, even if the ripples didn't make much sense.

No bonus features on the single-disc DVD, except for a look at the next animated feature, Justice League: War.

The 250th "new to me" movie was the first in the "Before Trilogy" via Encore on Demand. I saw Before Midnight when it was in theaters early this year without seein' the previous two. Before Sunrise shows how the two originally meet on a train and spend the rest of the day and that night together.

I liked it, and now I'll have to keep an eye out for the second one.

Went out to the newest Alamo Drafthouse yesterday to see what the fuss is all about and wound up seein' three movies in a row.

TWWB was pretty good, Sam Rockwell bein' especially awesome. Not something I'd sit & watch over & over, but still, worth checkin' out.

Turbo was a cute kids movie about a snail who wants to be in the Indy 500.

And even though I didn't see the first movie, I went to the Smurfs sequel, which sucked all kinds of ass.

Had a plan to see A Clockwork Orange today, but missed out...may get out early tomorrow for some stuff at the Ritz.
Old August 4 2013, 02:37 PM   #407
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Ted - HBO go on Apple TV - I was home alone last night, the kids were asleep and the wife had to work overnight at the hospital. So I was looking for something light and fun to watch. Since I like Family Guy, I figured I would check out Ted from Seth MacFarlane. Overall it was meh, it was kind of funny but only in spots. It was sorta like a live action version of Family Guy, but I'm not sure if that is a complement. I also got a Harold & Kumar vibe from it, especially using Sam Jones from Flash Gordon, using him much the same way Harold & Kumar used Neil Patrick Harris. However it is no where as successful, Sam Jones is just not that good of an actor. Mark Wahlberg is one of those actors who needs to be in the right thing to be successful, while he handled the stoner, looser part of the story okay. When the story required a bit more emotional work, yeah he was lost in the weeds. Without checking, the age difference between Mark Wahlbergs character of John and Mila Kunis Lori is distracting.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 02:41 AM   #408
CaptainCanada
Admiral

53. Much Ado About Nothing (B+)

Joss Whedon's microbudget modern dress adaptation of what is probably Shakespeare's most famous actual comedy is impeccably acted and generally quite funny, but at the same time it's hard to ignore the fact that the modern setting really doesn't work in the end. With Beatrice and Benedick it's fine; their story is ageless. But Claudio and Hero's is really not -- it can be hard enough to root for even in its proper time period, but it's jarringly out of place in what looks like 2013. And the general setting is just kind of confusing.

Amy Acker and Alexis Denisof are both very affecting as Beatrice and Benedick. Reed Diamond is very fun as Don Pedro. The scenes with Nathan Fillion as Dogberry, which are played like an extended parody of David Caruso in CSI: Miami, are terrific (and easily eclipse Michael Keaton's annoying work in Kenneth Branagh's generally superior adaptation). Jillian Morgese, a friend of Whedon's whose two previous screen credits are both cameos in earlier productions of his, is a very good Hero. Sean Maher isn't particularly impressive as Don John, but then, Don John is one of Shakespeare's dullest villains.

Cinema: 15 (+1)
Home Video: 34
Computer: 4

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 03:10 AM   #409
od0_ital
Admiral

The Sitter - HBO on Demand
Mean Girls - Showtime on Demand
Carnage - Starz on Demand
Ghost Story of Yotsuya - free admission
Ghost Cat of Otama Pond - free admission
Trainspotting - free admission

Had the house to myself last night, so I was able to watch a few movies via the "on Demand" options.

First up, fat Jonah Hill in The Sitter. Dude cannot carry a movie by himself. And it doesn't help that none of the three kids are the least bit interestin'.

Followed that up with Mean Girls with a mostly sober Lindsey Lohan. I was hopin' the movie would have been better, but it was kinda dull, too. Not nearly as funny or clever as I had thought it would be, considerin' Tina Fey is funny and clever and wrote the damn thing.

Finally, Carnage, which is based on a stage play. I wanted to watch it for the cast - Kate Winslet, Christoph Waltz, John C Reilly & Jodie Foster - and they weren't bad, but the story just wasn't interestin'. Two sets of parents get together to try to reconcile that one of their sons attacked the other. But it doesn't take long for their attitudes, egos & alcohol get in the way.

Came out to the Ritz today for a few movies.

First up, the two movies that kicked off the "Shintoho Mindwarp" series that Alamo Drafthouse has goin' this month, Ghost Story of Yotsuya & The Ghost Cat of Otama Pond. Both are ghost stories populated by samurai, which ya would think would make 'em awesome. But they are also '50s exploitation movies from Japan, so not so much awesome as kinda cool.

"Yotsuya" is all about a samurai who lacks standin' murderin' the father of the girl he wants to marry, goin' broke, and decidin' that he has to continue killin' folks to get a fortune and a new wife.

"Ghost Cat" is about a family strivin' for power over their sworn enemies, killin' 'em all off, and then bein' haunted by a humanoid cat until they all kill each other.

The host for the screenings apologized for the digital presentation, but he said it'd be impossible to find subtitled prints after all these years. There are six more movies in the series, and I'll keep comin' out to watch 'em if I have the time off.

The third movie of the day, Danny Boyle's Trainspotting, will seat in about twenty minutes. Lookin' forward to seein' it for the first time.
Old August 5 2013, 04:26 PM   #410
Agent Richard07
Admiral

131. Twilight (✩✩✩) - Download - As an introduction, it was neither good nor bad, it just was. At times it felt very much like a teenage girl's fantasy of what it would be like to meet a vampire, so I can see what detractors have been talking about in that regard.

132. New Moon (✩✩½) - Download - A weak sequel with more teenage angst, longing and melodrama. There was also a big showdown in a vampire monastery in Italy but it fell flat. The bulk of the movie had Bella paired off with Jacob the werewolf, played by Taylor Lautner and she didn't have the same chemistry that she had with Edward Cullen. Another thing that struck me was the lack of "The Twilight Saga" in the opening title card which just read "New Moon" like the book. I guess there really is a new trend in using different titles in promotional material. The next few movies in the series will continue doing this.

133. Eclipse (✩✩½) - Download - A weak third installment that felt like a filler episode. This time it's Jacob vs Edward vying for Bella's affection eventhough it's obvious that she'll end up with Edward. This is probably where the "Team Edward vs Team Jacob" stuff came from. There's supposed to be a story but it took a back seat to the love triangle. The only interesting thing about the story is the talk of what it will be like for Bella if she becomes a vampire. This is also the movie where Bryce Dallas Howard replaced Rachelle Lefevre. Actually watching the movies left me with the impression that this recasting was done just to get Howard onboard and not because Lefevre had to be let go due to a scheduling conflict. Now let's talk sex… Edward presents himself as old fashioned and refuses to have sex with Bella until they're married. I remember some hoopla over this but it's not in your face or all that pervasive throughout the romance, so it doesn't come off as moralizing. I haven't read the books, so I don't know if any of this was toned down for the movie.

134. Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (✩✩✩✩) - Download - This lackluster saga really picked up with this installment. The romance continues, but Meyer finally brings us to the good stuff… Sex, a big game changer and some riveting heart-felt drama with a little more depth, all wonderfully shot with minimal settings. The FX crew also did a fantastic job of making Kristen Stewart look thin, gaunt and emaciated.

135. Breaking Dawn - Part 2 (✩✩✩✩) - Download - The saga concludes and does so in a big and satisfying way. Weak storytelling becomes epic and engaging, and the teenage level fanfic romance and love triangle angst become something more mature involving real depth, community and loyalty. I also liked that elements that were introduced and easily dismissed in the first few movies were revisited, played a big part and paid off. It took four movies to get here but it ended well. If you can make it through New Moon, Eclipse and a lot of the early fanfic romance, this is actually a memorable saga.

Theatre: 20
Blu-ray: 9
DVD: 21
Netflix: 2
Live TV: 17
Download: 62
YouTube: 3
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 03:07 AM   #411
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

67. The Wolverine: B+
68. R.I.P.D.: C+
69. Proof of Life: B-
70. The Conjuring: B
71. Pacific Rim: B-

Conjuring: Not sure why this movie has gotten all they hype and done the business it has. I'm guessing people hungry for some real suspense after being let down by The Purge(despite they also made that a hit). The film offers nothing new to this type film. It is well shot and well acted, and that alone gives it the solid grade I feel it deserves. However, it's neither ground breaking nor infuses anything new into this type real story suspense thriller. The one thing it did make me curious about was looking more into the real life duo of The Warrens. He kept talking about writing that book about their experiences with the afterlife and demon encounters.

This film reminds me of reasons why I declare 98% of all horror and comedy films reserved for DVD. General Audiences are douche bags at films like this in higher concentration. Twice in the first half hour during a suspense moment he yells "BOO". Also, a 20-something couple, I shit you not, on the 7th row literally took a self portrait of themselves. Yes, the flash was on...twice!!!

Pacific Rim: in reality a C film but causes I went in for monsters vs robots and that at least was well done I'm curving the grade to B-. The story has good portions ripped right from Independence Day, especially the climax. The tension and drama is delivered by wooden actors with no charisma. I never did buy into them at all. Save Charles Minor that is, every time he wasn't on screen the movie lost steam. Ron Pearlman has a glorified cameo but his role is just to camp the place up a bit really, not shine like he can.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 10:00 PM   #412
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-
3) The Bounty Hunter - B+
4) Crazy, Stupid, Love. - B-

5) What To Expect When You're Expecting - B+
6) Contagion - C

7) Identity Thief - A
8) We Bought A Zoo - A-

9) The Ides of March - B+
10) Top Gun - C+
11) It Could Happen To You - B+
12) Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - A+
13) Mirror, Mirror - A
14) Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World - A
15) Inglorious Basterds - B+
16) Independence Day - B+
17) Star Trek – Into Darkness - B+

18) Kick-Ass - B
19) The Heat - B-
20) Monsters Inc. - B+
21) White House Down - B+
22) Saving Private Ryan - A

23) Air Force One - A-
24) MASH - B+

I've recently become a fan of the series, so when the original movie came on the TV, I jumped at the chance. It was entertaining and for some reason, I really liked Roger Bowen's interpretation of Colonel Blake. But while it was interesting, it wasn't an "Oh my gosh, I need to watch that again." Sally Kellerman is painful as Margaret, which is ironic as she believed the only reason it was successful was because of her. From a strictly selfish point of view, I wish it had a bit more of a coherent story line, but being that its based on the book, I was okay with the setup.

25) Airplane! - B+

Call me bias, but I always loved the second one with William Shatner more. But this is still a movie that even after multiple viewings and thirty years holds up to the test of time. And who doesn't love Robert Stack?
Old August 6 2013, 10:43 PM   #413
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

The Conjuring ★★★★

The best horror movie in 4 or 5 years. Really great performances, creepy atmosphere, and jump scares that will scare anyone with a pulse. New Line is already developing a sequel which I think could be good if Wan takes the helm again. This makes me want to see Insidious 2 because of how far he's comes as a director.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 08:34 PM   #414
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

68. R.I.P.D.: C+
69. Proof of Life: B-
70. The Conjuring: B
71. Pacific Rim: B-
72. Alone in the Dark: D

Two things I didn't know till the credits about this film. It's based on a video game AND directed by Uwe Boll. My expectations dropped a lot in those first few minutes of the opening credits. Still didn't help. While trying to see what Stephen Dorf had been doing, saw this in his IMDB, should've read up more on it I suppose but saw Slater and Tara Reid and just dropped it into the Netflix queue.
Story is about an alleged ancient Indian tribe who worshipped the "dark side" and found a way to open a portal to bring them over. In doing so they came over and wiped out the civilization, making them somewhat mythical in archeological circles. There was a "key" they used to open this portal and after they were forced back the key was broken and scattered about the globe. As luck would have it they key is reassembled. These dark beings are able to parasitically take over humans and it seems a few have been walking the earth for 10K years seeking to put they key back together.....one is disguised as a museum funded archaeologist of course.

The f/x on the creatures weren't as bad as you'd think given the type film. However, the fight sequences were bad, the dialogue equally bad. The love scene was more humorous with Slater&Reid than anything. During an assault by Bureau 713(go with it I know I didn't mention them, you'll feel this review is more like the movie that way) they crash through some sky lights at night and Uwe Boll puts this metal rock score to it as they come in guns blazing. Sad, Funny...both, it's a mess of a film. I can't wholly put my finger on why I'm not going F, maybe cause despite it all I still chuckled at times and found elements to be oddly passable enough at rare times.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 03:25 PM   #415
Agent Richard07
Admiral

136. The Apparition (✩✩✩½) - Download - The sixth movie in a row I've seen with Ashley Greene. This one didn't get great reviews, but I found it pretty serviceable as a scary horror movie. More importantly though, Ashley has nice hair and looks great in lingerie.

137. The Surrogacy Trap (✩✩✩) - Download - A couple hires a surrogate to carry their baby and the surrogate goes nuts. Typical TV movie fare, but Mia Kirshner and Rachal Blanchard are always good to watch. No Ashley Greene in this one.

138. Elysium (✩✩✩✩½) - Theatre - District 9 Redux, but that's not a bad thing. Good story, great cinematography. You can read my review here. Again, no Ashley Greene, but it's amazing how much William Fitchner looks like her. Do an image search and you'll see. I'm not kidding!

Theatre: 21
Blu-ray: 9
DVD: 21
Netflix: 2
Live TV: 17
Download: 64
YouTube: 3
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 10:33 PM   #416
od0_ital
Admiral

Ghost Story of Yotsuya- free admission
Ghost Cat of Otama Pond- free admission
Charlie Bartlett - Netflix Instant

I've only watched one movie this week? Weird...

And I only watched it 'cause it had nuChekov & Iron Man in it.

Not that good of a movie, thought the critique of dopin' kids up on legal drugs to keep 'em "normal" was interestin'. "I think about stuff." "You might have ADD, take Ritalin!" "So, if it works, I have ADD?" "YES!"

Wanted to get out to the Ritz tonight for a double feature, but its gonna sell out. Got a plan to see The Wolverine again this weekend. May get to the next Shintoho Mindwarp movies, too...
Old August 10 2013, 08:14 PM   #417
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

The Darkest Hour (2011) ★★ - Typical stupid invasion movie. The creature effects are kind of cool, so there's that.

Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925) ★★★★ - WOW. What an amazing epic. This is probably my second favorite silent film behind Phantom of the Opera. It seems incredibly modern somehow. The scope is huge and every scene seems intricately crafted.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 02:00 AM   #418
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates:
Blue Exorcist: The Movie (8)
Elysium (8)

Current Total: 58
Old August 13 2013, 08:46 AM   #419
od0_ital
Admiral

Ghost Story of Yotsuya- free admission
Ghost Cat of Otama Pond- free admission
Charlie Bartlett - Netflix Instant
Pitch Black: Unrated Director's Cut - bluray
The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury - DVD
The Chronicles of Riddick - bluray
The Canyons - free admission
The Chronicles of Riddick: Unrated Director's Cut - bluray
The Act of Killing - free admission
Flesh Pier - free admission
The Horizon Glitters - free admission
Adjust Your Tracking - free admission
Planes 2D - free admission
2 Guns - free admission
Elysium - free admission

So, there I was at Wal-Mart last week, and I saw that in anticipation of the new movie comin' out next month, The Chronicles of Riddick was re-released/repackaged or whatever. And the bluray set was cheaper than the DVD set. I decided to give it another shot, and got the bluray set.

I watched the theatrical cut of Pitch Black over a decade ago when it first came out on DVD. Rented a copy from Hasting's Books Music and Video back when I lived in San Marcos. And I hated the movie...for reasons I was reminded of when I watched the extended cut for the first time. The timin' of the whole thing just pissed me off. First, the freak accident crashes 'em down on the planet. Fine, okay...but for it to coincide with the eclipse that happens just once every twenty-two years, and them findin' a time stamped core sample AND a model so they would know exactly how screwed they were got on my nerves. That the girl posin' as a boy was havin' her monthly at the same time was just too damned much. Plus, who the hell made the damn solar model?!?!

DF was a little better in that it was a lot shorter, and the animation wasn't too bad. Even though its only thirty-five minutes long, I'm countin' it, since it got its own DVD release, and was included in the set as a separate disc, not a bonus feature.

Watched both the theatrical & extended versions of the sequel. Both are CGI messes of movies, and I think maybe the effects had been toned down, the story wouldn't have suffered. And I do think its funny that the extended cut introduces a character that wasn't even in the theatrical version, but helps out quite a bit with the Riddick character development.

I went over to the Ritz on Saturday for the almost sold out showin' of Lindsay Lohan's latest, The Canyons. That was a freakin' terrible movie, thanks to poor actin' all around, bad, repeated dialogue & clichéd situations. If ya wanna know just how freckled Lohan's boobs are, though, this is the movie to see, so long as ya don't mind full frontal male nudity, too.

Watched five movies at two Alamo Drafthouses on Sunday, 'cause what the hell else would I do, right?

The Act of Killing, the latest documentary from Drafthouse Films, kicked off my movie marathon. Very simply, its a retelling of the Indonesian genocide by thugs & bullies who are now, forty years later, hailed as national heroes by their government. Proud of what they did, they help to re-enact their actions to make a Hollywood film. I think one viewin' of it was enough, too, 'cause the whole thing turned out to be too damn much.

Followed that up with another viewin' of The Wolverine 3D with my buddy Jeff.

Then this week's two "Shintoho Mindwarp" movies, Flesh Pier & The Horizon Glitters. The first was about an undercover operation to stop prostitution in Tokyo while the second was about five criminals escapin' from prison to collect stolen diamonds that one of them hid before his arrest.

Followed that up with a second documentary, Adjust Your Tracking, which was about VHS collectors & was followed by a Q&A from the two college-age directors.

Went down to Alamo Slaughter for three more movies last night.

Planes 2D was the first. It wasn't terrible, and not as creepy as the Cars movies, though set in the same universe. I wound up hopin' for a bit more from it, though...gettin' kinda tired of someone gettin' into or advancin' in a competition because someone else cheated, though.

Followed that with 2 Guns, which was freakin' awesome! I enjoyed the hell out of the action movie. Great cast, of course, and some over the top crap, but still a lot of fun to watch.

And the third movie of the night was Elysium with my friend Maeby. She & I both enjoyed it, but I think District 9 was better.

Still gotta see We're the Millers & the Percy Jackson sequel, and there are five new movies openin' this weekend, too.
Old August 13 2013, 10:32 PM   #420
CaptainCanada
Admiral

54. Elysium (C+)

Very capable action and effects, but the story is heavy-handed, and lacks compelling characters despite good acting.

Cinema: 16 (+1)
Home Video: 34
Computer: 4

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote