Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 6 2013, 02:05 PM   #121
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: And now The Newsroom....

I also found the Maggie story underwhelming. I was expecting something really disturbing, something like a variation on the Lara Logan sexual assault incident. In contrast, the death of the kid just felt artificial and consequence-free. They introduced a character only to kill him off in the same episode, and they made him a child so it would be extra emotional. Sure, intellectually I can understand why Maggie reacts the way she does, but as a viewer I just feel like the show was trying to manipulate me.

Also, if Maggie really wants to be Mac's go-to person on Africa, she should probably know that Djibouti is a country and where it is. Sadly, I know very little about Africa, yet I still know where Djibouti is. (Though, admittedly, I couldn't locate Uganda on a map.)

Emh wrote: View Post
Still very enjoyable but I find it rather distracting how both the OWS protester and the shitty Romney PAO are written as very arrogant and self-righteous as means to make our characters look better.
Yeah, that's sadly a problem that Sorkin has, even back on The West Wing, but it's more noticeable on The Newsroom I find. I wish there were more characters like the gay Santorum spokesperson.

Also, I didn't like how the OWS woman commented upon Will's romantic situation as though she were some sort of psychic that knew all about Will's personality because of a brief slip in a conversation. That's not cute, it just dragged the Will/Mac mess into an episode that had been refreshingly free of it.

All that being said, I thought it was an improvement on the previous episode, though still not as good as the first two.
Old August 6 2013, 02:29 PM   #122
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I get the impression that someone watched the final episode of M*A*S*H before writing this one.

Maggie's dip into the waters of mental breakdown, using dark humor to deflect interrogation questions, plus her short manufactured "fantasy" of the kid being alive while she's reading him a story - on a BUS - shortly before admitting that he died because of her actions, all smacks of Hawkeye's tormented final days in Korea. In fact, this was damn near a carbon copy of that subplot.

M*A*S*H did it better.

Sloan and Charlie are, by far, my favorite characters in this show. I wouldn't say this season is in any way better than last, but at least those two are keeping it interesting.

Last edited by 137th Gebirg; August 6 2013 at 02:57 PM.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 02:40 PM   #123
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Also, if Maggie really wants to be Mac's go-to person on Africa, she should probably know that Djibouti is a country and where it is. Sadly, I know very little about Africa, yet I still know where Djibouti is. (Though, admittedly, I couldn't locate Uganda on a map.)
I thought it was a particularly glaring contradiction since just a couple of episodes back Maggie gave one of those typical Sorkin infodumps about Africa to convince Mac that she was serious about going and had become an expert on the subject, and yet now she doesn't even know the basic regional geography.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 11:15 PM   #124
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I still think it's pathetic but lets underline what broke Maggie.

If the gunmen didn't want the camera, the kid would have lived.

If they had left the kid under the bed, the kid would have lived.

If she wasn't using the kid as a human shield she would have died.

She's ecstaticly happy and over joyed that he died to save her but she feels rotten about surviving under those terms and feeling good about it.

If the kid just would have got in the Van when he was supposed to, every one would have lived.

And Gary... You don't lift the bed off it's bolts with a lever, you use the lever to hit the kid until he gets out to stop you hitting him. In the real world it would not have been that easy to move the bed, or it would have already been stolen/used for firewood in winter.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 12:14 AM   #125
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
She's ecstaticly happy and over joyed that he died to save her but she feels rotten about surviving under those terms and feeling good about it.
I don't see her being ecstatically happy about anything. She's glad she's alive, but wishes it were her and not Daniel who died. She feels responsible on many levels, not just the accidental human shield issue. She tried to connect with him and he felt age with her, hence why hiding under her bed seemed like the best place for him to go.

The biggest thing that she probably blames herself for is that of she hadn't had all of the personal crap in her life, she wouldn't have tried to dig so deeply in her work and desire to prove herself to Will and Mac, if she hadn't hidden a report on the increased danger in the region, if she hasn't insisted on going, Daniel might still be alive.

That's what I took away from the episode.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 12:28 AM   #126
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You do understand a downward spiral? Survivors guilt? Her happiness feeds her depression because she cannot be allowed to be happy, so you can't see her happiness because it never has a chance to make it to the surface through all that processing where it's instantly transformed into guilt, sadness and anger.

Old August 12 2013, 06:48 AM   #127
TemporalFlux
Commodore

And tonight's episode was what I was talking about; it felt like something from season one. I hope the rest of the season can keep it up.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 06:59 AM   #128
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I care so much more about Don and Sloan than I ever could about Jim and Maggie.

Old August 12 2013, 02:39 PM   #129
Australis
Writer

This ep rocked pretty hard. Sloane was great, even though she was going through a bad place, her hand clasp with Charlie as they passed was nice, and her taking out scumbag ex was top class.

Will's expression when he go the news from the hospital, very still and heartbroken. McKenzie confirms she's crazy with her talk with Neil confirmed it.

So much of this ep was just great, I'll have to watch it again.

ETA: the Maggie-Jim thing needs a reboot into the friends zone, the will they/won't they thing ain't doin' it for me.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

Last edited by Australis; August 13 2013 at 02:30 AM.
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 11:14 PM   #130
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Actually I really disliked this episode. There seemed to be six stories going on at the same time and I found some of the storylines too difficult and/or irrelevant to follow. IMO the writing and acting was frenetic and disjointed, far more than ever before. If they're trying to surpass Game of Thrones in multiple storylines at a mass level, they've succeeded - and that's not a compliment.

The Sloan bit was touching and tragic. Olivia Munn never fails to disappoint. A shame she had to go through that, and with a dickhead like that, I can understand why many women oftentimes think men are pigs in general. That kind of behavior is really reprehensible and lacking any kind of moral compass. Will's scene with the dad stuff was also quietly tragic. He was trying like hell to stay professional, but you could tell he was just about to come apart, especially during the dead air. Jim and Maggie are, as usual, a big fat whatever, and for some reason I really had a difficult time trying to figure out what was going on with the tweets.

I short, the good parts seemed really good and the rest I could have done without.
Old August 13 2013, 03:18 AM   #131
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Good episode but, damn, how does Sloane still have a fucking job there?!

The Maggie stuff is just... ugh at this point for me. And did I miss something? What happened to her cropped hair?!

Last edited by Trekker4747; August 13 2013 at 10:24 AM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 05:12 AM   #132
Anwar
Vice Admiral

The cropped hair didn't happen until after the Genoa incident, it didn't happen after she came back from Africa.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 10:24 AM   #133
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
The cropped hair didn't happen until after the Genoa incident, it didn't happen after she came back from Africa.
Didn't the previous episode end with her clipping her hair? Or is this non-linear story-telling messing with my mind?
Old August 13 2013, 11:57 AM   #134
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Anwar wrote: View Post
Didn't the previous episode end with her clipping her hair? Or is this non-linear story-telling messing with my mind?
I'm feeling a little mixed up on that myself. Great episode overall, but Maggie is pretty much a useless character and the sooner she leaves the show the better.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 12:39 PM   #135
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The actress was a celebrity before the Newsroom, I'm not saying that viewers will walk if she is pushed, but think of the cross promotion if Maggie is crushed under the Sex and the City Tour Bus, and in the real world they paint/dye (safely and legally) the tires red, and dent the front grill a bit?

She needs to go.