Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 12 2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Megalodon!

Anyone else catch this "mockumentary" that aired during "Shark Week" on Discovery this past week? The movie purported to be about people exploring the ocean to find evidence of the existence of megalodon, a prehistoric shark that's been extinct for millions of years.

The Discovery Channel has caught (rightfuly) a lot of flack for this show since, well, it was complete fiction and the only sign that it was so was a 3-second disclaimer flashing on the screen at the end of the movie.

Anyway, it re-aired last night and it's available on OnDemand or similar service on your cable-box.

I find this an interesting but dumb move by Discovery given that, by and large, the stuff on it should be grounded in fact and learning and not, you know, complete fiction.
Old August 12 2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: Megalodon!

I was camping last weekend and someone was talking about a Megalodon and certainly seemed to think it was real.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Well, it's a real animal in the same way dinosaurs are real. They DID exist but they don't any longer.
Old August 12 2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I caught most of it when it first aired and I'm not sure how anyone took this seriously. Right from the get go the "found footage" felt pretty staged as did the interviews with "experts".

Still, I think it was a crappy move on Discovery's part. Wil Wheaton did a good job slamming them for it.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 05:50 PM   #5
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I caught the first 10 minutes, and it was pretty clear from the horror movie-style found footage that it was fake. And another tip-off was the fact this so-called "investigation" took place as recently as a few months ago, and the way the interview subjects were all shot in the most dramatic way possible.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I haven't seen this, but didn't Discovery (or similar channel) do something similar a year or two ago with a "documentary" about mermaids being found?
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 06:09 PM   #7
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Yes. There were a couple of them and they had the same format. I find it hard to believe that anyone who watches the Science Channel or Discovery on a regular basis could fall for something like this.
Old August 12 2013, 06:50 PM   #8
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Good thing Orson Welles isn't alive today to do his "War of the Worlds" broadcast... if this is any indication it would result in a nuclear holocaust.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 08:50 PM   #9
FreezeC77
Commodore

They have other reality shows that are "staged" more or less, but I think the fact that it was trying to show a scientific side which is what the channel used to be and instead just do this is what touched a nerve.

What bothered me the most was that during the whole thing they talked about finding video and footage and then they just recreated the footage. Why not show the actual ****ing footage? I don't care if you have to mosaic out a person's face, you can show the footage.

Such a bogus show. It was hilarious how the "sharp photographer expert" that was in it kept saying how he didn't believe it existed then during the show he kind of acted like he changed his mind, but by the "shark after dark" talk show that was held at 11PM each night during shark week he again said it was completely untrue and Megalodon doesn't exist. Guess he got his paychek for the Megalodon show and it was over.

The other thing that I found ridiculous was when they supposedly shot a tracker onto a big shark that was claimed to be megalodon right at the end and they go back and watch it descend.

Couldn't it just be sinking to the ocean floor because it didn't hit anything? They never talked about the speed of the descent or anything just that it was going down. Meh.

BTW, my Dad and brother both think Megalodon exists and its being covered up because they watched this show and I got calls from them the next day... double Meh.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post

What bothered me the most was that during the whole thing they talked about finding video and footage and then they just recreated the footage. Why not show the actual ****ing footage? I don't care if you have to mosaic out a person's face, you can show the footage.
You can't recreate footage which never existed. I think they just blocked out faces to make the footage look more authentic.
Old August 12 2013, 11:46 PM   #11
sojourner
Admiral

I was disappointed that there was no "money shot" of the shark at the end. If you're going to do a fake documentary you should at least have some pay off for the audience.
Old August 13 2013, 01:57 AM   #12
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I was waiting for that too then I missed the last 20 minutes when my daughter decided to throw up all over her bed. Sounds like I may have gotten the better deal though.
Old August 13 2013, 04:09 AM   #13
sojourner
Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I was waiting for that too then I missed the last 20 minutes when my daughter decided to throw up all over her bed. Sounds like I may have gotten the better deal though.
Dealing with puke or watching 20 minutes of underwhelming tv, hmmmmm.

I'll take the tv.
Old August 13 2013, 04:16 AM   #14
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

sojourner wrote: View Post
TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Dealing with puke or watching 20 minutes of underwhelming tv, hmmmmm.

I'll take the tv.
Okay, but for fun let's see what you passed up, Alex open Door #2!
Old August 13 2013, 06:16 AM   #15
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Screw Door #2, go for the Mystery Box!!!
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote