Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 9 2013, 09:26 PM   #61
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: How do you feel about Torchwood Miracle Day

Well maybe great is too strong a word, perhaps better might be a fairer word to use. Sure the plot solution would still have been dire. But sometimes if a story sweeps you along with it you can overlook problems.

If the story is not engaging you start to pick apart all it's flaws.

Perhaps if TW was to return it might be an idea to go back to individual stories. Sure S1-2 of TW when it was that style had it's weak episodes what show doesn't bu there the odd few that were good. Though if they did that they would have to get some new characters who knows perhaps they could make all of them characters you care about.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 01:32 AM   #62
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Speaking of Miracle Day, BBC America will be airing the series starting September 14th.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 01:35 AM   #63
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
They should fire whoever made that programming decision. I suppose, aside from thinking it'd be good for ratings (among people who didn't/don't have Starz), it might be an attempt to garner some renewed interest in Torchwood.

But the people seeing this mess for the first time are just going to have their hopes dashed against the rocks of appalling disenchantment, and they'll end up thinking, "well, if that's the best they can do, then maybe it shouldn't come back."

Old August 17 2013, 05:31 AM   #64
AllStarEntprise
Captain

I wish TW had stopped after COE. The ending with Jack leaving Earth, Gwen, his daughter after the tragedy of sacrificing his grandson to save the entire planet had such a powerful poetry to it. A fantastic ending to a show that had a really shakey start. I recommend TW to all my Who fandom friends, but I tell them avoid MD like the fucking plague. With Torchwood being essentially in limbo now and RTD unsure if the show will ever come back. I like to think COE was RTD signing off on Torchwood as his DW run was also coming to an end at the time.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 07:49 AM   #65
Mitty
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Children of Earth was fantastic TV. Gripping.
Miracle Day was garbage. After a few good episodes it spirals into just... unwatchable... shit. It's just shit. It's one of the shittest things I have ever watched.

I prefer to think it never happened.
QFT. Absolutely abominable television. So very disappointing after how fantastic COE was.
Old August 25 2013, 09:13 PM   #66
Anachronus
Commodore

And there in lies the problem. It could never match CoE. Of course it could have tried.

-St. Augustine of Hippo
Anachronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 10:22 PM   #67
MacLeod
Admiral

Of course it could have matched CoE, it could have eclipsed CoE, unfortunantly it failed on almost all levels.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 01:12 AM   #68
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The problem, as I see it, is that RTD didn't understand why Children of Earth worked, so when he was asked to do something like CoE but bigger, he didn't know how to do it.

From the little that The Writer's Tale (second edition) covers the writing of Children of Earth, it's clear that CoE was a happy accident that worked in spite of RTD (who didn't have a clear vision of what he wanted to do and didn't understand how the story would work) and not because of him. Which is kind of ironic, in that I believe that CoE is the best thing RTD ever did in the Whoniverse and outclasses anything he did on the mothership.

So I think with Miracle Day he was trying to emulate CoE's success without understanding why it was successful.
Interesting idea. I wonder if maybe it goes even further and explains why Torchwood was such a mess, maybe no one had a handle on the show right from the get go.

For all it's flaws I thought TW had its moments and CoE really grabbed you but MD was the pits. I kept trying to convince myself it was at least worth watching forcing myself to complete it but alas...
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 05:50 AM   #69
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Well, reading this thread, I wonder if I should continue watching. I don't have STARZ so I didn't see Miracle Day when it first aired, so I'm watching the first episode now and it's decent. It is a letdown from Children of Earth but honestly I'm not sure if anything RTD would do would be as powerful and emotionally draining as Children of Earth.

As for Torchwood, I really enjoyed the series. Yeah Children of Earth was the best season, but I can't help but think I enjoyed the first two seasons more since the tone of it wasn't so completely and utterly dark. Given this thread, I don't know if I will continue to watch Miracle Day (I already miss Ianto and the gang together) but at least I checked out the first episode.
Old September 15 2013, 09:06 AM   #70
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

If you checked the first episode and thought it was decent you might as well keep watching until you think it isn't. You know what they say about opinions so I wouldn't let us dissuade you from going forward.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 12:54 PM   #71
Mr Light
Admiral

I remember being quite excited about the first episode... but then not much happened in the next eight...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 02:16 PM   #72
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Well, reading this thread, I wonder if I should continue watching. I don't have STARZ so I didn't see Miracle Day when it first aired, so I'm watching the first episode now and it's decent. It is a letdown from Children of Earth but honestly I'm not sure if anything RTD would do would be as powerful and emotionally draining as Children of Earth.

As for Torchwood, I really enjoyed the series. Yeah Children of Earth was the best season, but I can't help but think I enjoyed the first two seasons more since the tone of it wasn't so completely and utterly dark. Given this thread, I don't know if I will continue to watch Miracle Day (I already miss Ianto and the gang together) but at least I checked out the first episode.
Children of Earth indeed was very heavy, and too emotionally heavy and draining to be "fun", would be more "fun", if it had been stretched a little bit more. That's not to say it was excellent, it definitely was excellent.

Miracle Day is slower, so you might enjoy it, especially if you marathon it in only a few nights. Don't spend the entire Series waiting for aliens to show up, I think the slower pace, the lack of aliens and shown over a 2 1/2 month period were the biggest letdowns. Marathon-ed, with full knowledge not to expect aliens and it's more enjoyable, IMHO. There were other complaints, but, those were my biggest ones.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 05:11 PM   #73
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

If I do watch the 4th season, it will be on BBC America's schedule. Also, based on the first episode, I don't expect Aliens.
Old September 15 2013, 05:58 PM   #74
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
If I do watch the 4th season, it will be on BBC America's schedule. Also, based on the first episode, I don't expect Aliens.
I'll say this: the first episode is good. Very good even. But, that's the high water mark.

Seriously, don't judge it on the first episode. It's a shit series. If you do decide to continue with it: you can't say you weren't warned.
Old September 16 2013, 12:45 AM   #75
AllStarEntprise
Captain

The internet review SFDebris is currently reviewing Miracle Day. Check that out if you're in to that sort of thing. I've been planning a Torchwood rewatch but I had such a bad exp with MD the first. That I don't think I'll watch it again.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote