Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 8 2013, 08:45 PM   #46
Redfern
Commodore

Re: Avatar 2, 3, and 4

As I have not read the novelization or played all the extra content of the extended Blu-Ray or perused the coffe table "behind the scenes" book, I'm sure there are details I've missed, but just watching the movie, I got the impression that the Na'vi may not be fully indigenous to Pandora.

They possess 4 limbs and just two eyes whereas all other higher vertibrates have 6 limbs and 4 eyes. Plus the nerve tendril business, the "horses" and the banshees have two while the Na'vi just have the one.

I'm sure the more attentive viewers consider this "old news", but I have not engaged in those discussions. I would think that's potential for story right there. Just why ARE the Na'vi so fundamentally different from all other (so far seen) higher life-forms on that world? Do you think Cameron will explore this?

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 08:24 AM   #47
MacLeod
Admiral

Llama wrote: View Post
Nah.

Avatar 2: big evil mining company returns to pandora and bombs the shit out of the planet from orbit getting rid of the pesky natives. Wholesale mining of the planet begins

Avatar 4: mining continues until no more unobtainium left, move onto the next planet
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. "

Whoops sorry wrong movie.

But yep in a real world situtation orbital bombardment might be the solution. But then just come up with some phoney science that in order to be effective from orbit the bombs would have an effect on the materiels being mined renderding them worthless.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 05:51 PM   #48
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I was kind of cold to the idea of more Avatar movies despite enjoying the first one, but Locutus' ideas actually interest me. So if Cameron's heading in a similar direction, I'm down.

(That said, if Gaia isn't voiced by Whoopi Goldberg and there aren't five kids with power rings I'm gonna feel ripped off. )
Old August 11 2013, 09:35 PM   #49
publiusr
Commodore

Well, if unobtanium was in floating mountains, then that means it was more easily spalled off during impacts. Therefore Avatar 1 should have been about Earth ships mining astroids, and the Nav'i not even knowing they were there.

Forget face on Mars, when I first saw Voyager footage of the moon Mirans--the first thought I had was "strip mine." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_(moon)

That turned out to be natural processes though.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 06:28 PM   #50
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Some sequels are as good as the first if not better i.e. Aliens, TWOK. But sometimes sequels can be worse i.e. The Matrix sequels.
Agree. Cameron absolutely got Aliens right, so hopefully history will repeat for him. Multiple sequels are a gamble.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 07:38 PM   #51
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The sequels I think are as good or even better than the original happen to be different. Aliens is not comparable to Alien as it's an entirely different genre. TWOK is different from TMP. TDK has an entirely different tone than Batman Begins. The Empire Strikes Back is different from Star Wars. Terminator 2 is Teminator on steroids, but has a whole different feel to it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 08:06 PM   #52
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The sequels I think are as good or even better than the original happen to be different. Aliens is not comparable to Alien as it's an entirely different genre. TWOK is different from TMP. TDK has an entirely different tone than Batman Begins. The Empire Strikes Back is different from Star Wars. Terminator 2 is Teminator on steroids, but has a whole different feel to it.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 09:49 PM   #53
MacLeod
Admiral

That might be the key to a good sequel make it different from the first, when sequels try to copy an earlier film to much they can fail. i.e. Alien3
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote