To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 3 2013, 12:20 PM   #1501
Halmirdax
Lieutenant Commander

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Wasn't expecting that Dwarf work out. The weapons, the gorgeous weapons and the Lake Town and all of it, amazing! Glad we're getting all these sneak peeks.
Old July 31 2013, 10:35 AM   #1502
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

‘Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition’ release dates, content, pricing announced

Fans anxious for word on the “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition,” can officially check off calendar dates, Warner Bros. has released the Kracken — or at least the dates when it will release what is expected to be a monster on home video. In the U.S. Tuesday, Nov., 5 is the street date available for the film with its 12 extra minutes of footage edited and scored directly into the film. That means customers can walk in and buy it off the shelf or, as more often is the case with big title releases, look for it from home delivery after buying it online or pick it up from the outlet where they have placed a pre-order. Those purchasing a digital download can have it much sooner, October 22nd (likely a world-wide availability date.) International street dates vary, but it is believed Nov. 4 is the date for the U.K..
U.S. consumers will have three options with different suggest retails price:
* 5-disc Blu-ray 3D set ($54.98) (includes a non-3D Blu-ray version)
* 3-disc Blu-ray ($35.99)
* 5-disc DVD ($34.99)
Only 12 minutes of additional footage. Disappointing, yet unsurprising. That section of the book was almost entirely in the film. My only hope is that the two riddles that were omitted from the "Riddles in the Dark" sequence will be added, but I have a feeling they weren't filmed.

On the plus side, despite my fears to the contrary, the DVD set appears to have all of the same features as the Blu-Ray edition.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 12:55 PM   #1503
Mr Light
Admiral

Considering they took two filmed movies and basically made three movie releases out of them, I'm not expecting a lot of cut scenes from any of these releases...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 02:54 PM   #1504
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Considering they took two filmed movies and basically made three movie releases out of them, I'm not expecting a lot of cut scenes from any of these releases...
The Desolation of Smaug and The Battle of Five Armies (or does film three have a different name now?) extended editions could be longer, thanks to the additional filming this spring and summer.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 04:53 PM   #1505
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The Desolation of Smaug and The Battle of Five Armies (or does film three have a different name now?)
The final film has always been subtitled There and Back Again.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 05:01 PM   #1506
Halmirdax
Lieutenant Commander

I had read that the dvd versions would be longer. It'll be intriguing to see what more there is.
Old August 1 2013, 10:37 PM   #1507
Halmirdax
Lieutenant Commander

The listing for the Extended Unexpected Journey is up!

Heads up, there are a few spoilers I would guess in what it lists as special features as it really goes through step by step in depth. Only 13 minutes of extra footage but nearly 9 hours of features. I for one will be ordering that as soon as it's available in the UK. Maybe those 13 minutes will be exciting stuff, but it stands on its own if not.
Old August 1 2013, 11:03 PM   #1508
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Hm... waste money on it now, or wait a bit to get a complete 6 film collection box? By the time, it would already be in U-HD.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 05:13 PM   #1509
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

We finally get our first glimpse of Beorn.

It's a low resolution photo of his backside, side of his head, and his hair, but it's enough to get an idea of what to expect of his "human form."

Old August 11 2013, 05:24 PM   #1510
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Also, for those who wondered about a gift statue for the extended edition, TheOneRing.Net reveals there will be one capturing the "Riddles in the Dark" scene. They also have a breakdown of the extended edition's special features.

Unfortunately, it appears the the gift statue only comes with the Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray 3D editions, but not the DVD edition.

Old August 11 2013, 05:58 PM   #1511
Skywalker
Admiral

It shouldn't come as a surprise anymore that Blu-ray gets all the goodies. They want people to buy that version of the movie, not the DVD version.

I'm kinda disappointed that we're only getting commentary from Peter Jackson and Philippa Boyens. I loved all the different commentaries on the LotR EEs: Jackson, Boyens and Fran Walsh, the cast, the production crew...
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 06:38 PM   #1512
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

The DVD edition has all of the special features that are on the Blu-Ray, just not the statue. Very annoying.

I'm also disappointed that there's only one commentary track. Would have been great to have a dwarf-only track and one with Martin Freeman, Ian McKellan and Slyvester McCoy.

Old August 12 2013, 05:58 PM   #1513
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Just seen Beorn, consider me unimpressed.

I loved damn near all of the design work on Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings trilogy (For my money the best blockbusters ever made!), but on these films the work seems lesser. I thought the dwarves and Radagast in the last movie looked lame, and I'm getting the same vibe from Beorn.

Not hugely enthused about the idea of an Extended Edition of the first film either. I liked the movie but it was way too padded out. The Extended Edition for Jackson's The Two Towers actually made the film way better because so much was underdeveloped in the Theatrical Cut. Here I think we'll see an already meandering film meander that little bit extra.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 02:23 PM   #1514
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

The new trailer is out!

I don't give a rat's ass about Legolas and Kate, I mean, Tauriel and their romantic prospects (aka Aragorn and Arwen: The Prequel), but HOLY SHIT I got goose bumps hearing Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug!

Old October 1 2013, 03:12 PM   #1515
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

Yup, that voice is pretty great. I can't wait to see the whole thing!