Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 12 2013, 12:41 AM   #16
Shatinator
Commander

Re: The post-atomic horror government in "Encounter at Farpoint"

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
One of the characters would probably have noticed if the re-creation wasn't accurate.

That being said, it's interesting to note that there wasn't supposed to even be an ECON - all references to it (in ST:FC) were supposed to just be China, but they changed it at the last minute. In any case, it seems obvious that the ECON was organized *around* China, or at least had a heavy Chinese influence.

Source?
Old August 12 2013, 01:22 AM   #17
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Noddy wrote: View Post
There's that giant red and black eagle banner on the wall in that scene. Is that at all suggestive of an Asian regime?
Looks European to me, as does the outfit Q has on. Which to me looks like something out of the Renaissance. The spectators look a bit like European peasants from around that same era or prior to it.
Old August 12 2013, 01:31 AM   #18
Push The Button
Captain

Anwar wrote: View Post
First Contact said there weren't many governments left after WWIII, they probably were just some City-State and not indicative of any real nation.
Also in FC we learn that within 50 years of the Vulcans making first contact in 2063, most of Earth's serious problems have been solved. I suppose that there could still be these types of kangaroo courts that Q has recreated still running in 2079 somewhere in the world, but not for much longer after that.

The fact that Cochrane is building his warp ship out of a still-operational Titan missile at an abandoned USAF silo farm, out in the open, tells me that there isn't much of a U.S. Government left to stop him. I mean, try building a large rocket in your backyard today and see how far you'll get before Uncle Sam knocks on your front door.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 11:33 AM   #19
Noddy
Captain

According to TNG "The Royale", the US flag was in use until at least 2079, sixteen years after Cochrane's flight, so one assumes the US existed as a geopolitical entity up to that point too.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 01:54 PM   #20
Timo
Admiral

...Which doesn't guarantee continuity of existence, or the existence of a working government along with the flag.

The fact that Cochrane is building his warp ship out of a still-operational Titan missile at an abandoned USAF silo farm, out in the open, tells me that there isn't much of a U.S. Government left to stop him.
Or then he's working for the government, as one would generally expect for such a project. It's not that there isn't anybody to stop him - it's that the paychecks are late, the colleagues have moved up in their careers (sustenance farmer being a favorite), and the last report sent to Houston came back stamped "Address unknown/City Not Found".

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 02:14 PM   #21
Noddy
Captain

I'm sure the letters "USA" appear on a computer screen in an episode of ENTERPRISE, indicating the nation's survival into the 22nd century.

Wasn't the stars and stripes seen briefly in Star Trek Into Darkness, or am I mistaken? I know the Union Jack was definitely there.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 02:33 PM   #22
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Shatinator wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
One of the characters would probably have noticed if the re-creation wasn't accurate.

That being said, it's interesting to note that there wasn't supposed to even be an ECON - all references to it (in ST:FC) were supposed to just be China, but they changed it at the last minute. In any case, it seems obvious that the ECON was organized *around* China, or at least had a heavy Chinese influence.

Source?
The commentary track for ST:FC
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote